“Special Birthday Weekend” 5 of 5 bubbles

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
“Special Birthday Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband surprised me and booked the CBI spa suite we stayed in for our anniversary. The rooms are beautiful, the bed comfortable and we love the sauna and steam shower. Unfortunately, there was a problem with the hot water tanks in the spa building and we had no hot water. The front desk was extremely apologetic, wanted to change our room to a king delux ocean view (which I secretly wanted because I love the ocean - but since he went to so much trouble to book the same room we had before I had to take one for the team). The hotel then comped our stay which was appreciated but unnecessary as water tanks break unexpectedly all the time!! Despite the initial lack of hot water we had a fabulous time and can't wait to return! They do it right here and we love it! Thank you for helping to make the big 30 and 120 months so special!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Lynn, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Spent a few days after Christmas at this first class resort, One of the most comfortable beds I have slept, Stayed in one of the cottages. Spacious room with a fireplace. Easy walk to the village that has a few nice restaurants. HD TV stations were very limited & picture quality on non HD poor

Room Tip: Only warning is the gas fireplace is not tied into the room heat, Even if you set the Thermostat at...
New Iberia, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have visited Cape Cod in Oct. before but we stayed at a smaller place. I was so excited to stay at this gorgeous resort. It is gorgeous but I guess I expected too much. The room (271) was nice, but smaller than I anticipated. I've attached photos of the building we were in. We enjoyed the refrigerator and the table & chairs in our room. The views are great & the grounds are lovely. The front desk staff was polite but didn't seem really interested in me. As a Southerner, I expect a more friendly greeting & a volunteering of information about the area, the resort, etc. . After all, I am YOUR GUEST. The breakfast buffet was very nice and the serving staff was wonderful. Very attentive and informative about the area. Handicapped parking was available right by our building and we are very grateful for that convenience. I appreciate the free morning coffee in the lobby, as in the in-room cappaciano machine left much to be desired. The bathrooms and slippers are a lovely touch. The shower and bath products are wonderful. I could have taken two showers each day! Thank you. My biggest disappointment was the bar. After a cold night of out and about-we ordered some hot adult beverages. My Irish coffee was a huge disappointment. For $12.00, I should never have had to ask for whipped cream on top.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 271 and it was nice, but smaller than I expected. Handicapped parking and other p...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

This was the perfect setting for a quiet, romantic getaway. Our spa suite was the utmost in relaxation and my girlfriend and I felt truly "away" for the weekend. The turndown service was impeccable and we enjoyed great meals in the main inn. Room service was delivered promptly for breakfast each day and check in and check out were a breeze. Can't recommend this place highly enough. Quiet, upscale and caters well to high expectations.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Granby, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was very surprised about the Chatham Bars Inn. It has a very beautiful view but our room had stains on the carpet and it looked like it need to be vacuumed. Also, no indoor pool. Too bad,I was looking foreword to one.

Room Tip: Ask if it really does have a sea view. I may be just the name of the building your in.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for your brief review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your feedback. I was sorry to learn that your cottage guestroom’s carpet showed signs of staining or lack of cleanliness from a housekeeping standpoint. Rest assured that I will make a point to discuss this with our housekeeping team immediately. Regarding our pools, both are in fact operated seasonally from May through October, my apologies for your disappointment.

We hope to have an opportunity to better serve you in the future. Please don’t hesitate contacting my office directly if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
mbriggs@chathambarinn.com
508.945.6710
Rye, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

In need of a quick but relaxing trip without the kids, my husband and I booked a 2 night stay in CBI's spa suites. What a luxurious getaway! With its roaring fireplace, jacuzzi tub, steam shower and sauna, our roomy spa suite was first class in comfort and coziness. We enjoyed a lovely couples massage at the spa and had a wonderful dinner at The Sacred Cod Tavern in the main inn. The food and service were first-rate. After dinner, we retired to the beautifully decorated (for the holidays) South Lounge and enjoyed drinks in front of the huge fireplace. Out trip happened to occur during the Chatham Stroll and the CBI staff was so helpful in dropping us off and picking us up to and from Main Street in a Land Rover, incredibly promptly with just an easy phone call. This place knows how to make you feel like a priority and we will certainly be back.

1 Thank Katie T
Needham, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have always had fond memories of our visits to the CBI, I really loved our trips there, though it has been quite some time since we spent time there, probably before the change in ownership. We were there in September to celebrate our anniversary. The inn is perched on a very special spot with beautiful views. The positive is there is nothing like coffee in the morning, or drinks in the evening on the beautiful porch. Sunday brunch is very special, either in the dinning room near the window, or we prefer out on the porch. In the past we enjoyed the charm of the main inn, this time we stayed in a cottage room . It was very large and a short walk to the main property. The main beach is ok, and nice for a walking, good accessibility to the property, you walk across the street from the inn and there is the beach and a beautiful pool. What I liked about the boat trip to the outer beach was that you did not have to book in advance, just went out to the pier and the captain was happy to take you out. It is really gorgeous out there and should not be missed. You can also return on demand, by waving to the captain from the point. Now the negatives, and note I usually do not complain in reviews. However, I was extremely disappointed in the customer service, especially after recently staying at another cape cod resort nearby that went above and beyond.
First, we were there in September and I understand that a lot of seasonal help that was gone, however the inn was fully booked. Our rate was discounted through a groupon, though it still was not an inexpensive rate by any means.
We arrived early, and checked in at the front desk. We know that check in time is 3 and our room would not be available until then, which was fine. We were told to enjoy the property and we would be called. First thing is we went outside to enjoy coffee on the porch and read the paper on my iPad. I could not connect to the wireless network. I contacted the front desk and was told that I would not have wireless access until I was physically in the room.There was no code they could give me and nothing they could do to help. In addition, Our wireless was cut off the minute we checked out of our room on Sunday morning. Come on CBI, It was still close to $400 / night and no wireless on the property! Tacky, Tacky! Second tacky move was we went to lunch at the restaurant on the beach. It was lovely, though extremely high priced for lunch. The bill came to $75. When we requested bread / rolls to accompany our swordfish and lobster salads, we were told that there would be an additional charge. We paid it, but as with the internet, it left a bad taste in my mouth. How petty! I don't complain about costs, as long as the service is what you would expect at a top resort.
We then went to the pool , which was nicely protected from the wind with a plexiglass wall. As the afternoon went on, the beach restaurant closed for a wedding. The bar also closed, I believe it was around 4:30-5. We asked the pool attendants for drinks, since we saw they had just served someone. We were told the restaurant bar was closed and we would have to walk up to the main inn and get cocktails ourselves. Or you could call room service and pay the added fees! You have got to be kidding! A number of people complained, it's cocktail hour at the pool on the beach at cape cod in a 5 star resort and no one will get you a drink! Finally the sweet attendant felt bad and took a drink order from about 8 people. To his credit, when they were delivered, he said they were complementary. Unfortunately, the damage was hard to repair. In addition we went to the outer beach, which really is spectacular. Again CBI dulls by comparison to a neighboring resort. CBI only gives you towels to use out there. The other resort gives you lightweight sand chairs, umbrellas and water. In addition the part of the "island" you are left at was kind of murky and it was a good walk to the beautiful side and we were not instructed on the easiest way there. We walked through a lot of swampy stuff to get there. Again the other resort lets you off at a much better spot that you walk straight across to the outer side. Finally, dinner in the main dining room. Yes I don't like change, unless it is for the better. The dinning room is beautiful with the remodel, however there used to be an band that played there on Saturday nights that you could dance to. It was quite special, that is long gone. We had a reservation, that we waited over a half hour from the time reserved. I noted it was our anniversary and we requested a window table. No window, no special recognition of our anniversary either at dinner or in the room.The food used to be memorable, now it is quite average. The waitstaff tried very hard but were not knowledgeable. They did not normally work dinner and did not know the menu. There was a private party going on and the experienced staff were at the party. We did have a great time at CBI, we love the charm of the inn, the grounds, sitting on the porch, walking the beaches, relaxing at the pool and Sunday brunch outside. Unfortunately somethings missed the mark. If I had not had amazing experiences there in the past, or had not seen how the competition has upped the game, I might not had been as disappointed. I really loved you once CBI, but your policies and customer service are truly a disappointment. So sad it isn't what it used to be :(

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank downhillskier17
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we greatly appreciated your detailed feedback. I am very sorry to have learned of your disappointments now as opposed to when you were still staying with us in September, perhaps we could have better remedied some of your concerns at that time.

To my sincerest regret, we failed to acknowledge your anniversary in the appropriate, a truly rare occurrence on our part. It is indeed something we take great pleasure in and I can only assume that this was an inadvertent oversight on the part of our guest services staff.
As much as we dislike having to inconvenience some of our in-house guests whenever private or group events take up one of our venues, a certain amount of the special events business in invariably an integral part of any luxury hotel property with large catering space. Without this business segment, CBI would not be able to remain open throughout the year.

Taken all together I can certainly understand your disappointment at what was not our best performance. We continually strive to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations and we share in your disappointment when we fall short of our goal. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies and rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues you detailed to prevent any future occurrences.

Truly,

Michael Briggs
Resort Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Blue Water on the Ocean
Blue Water on the Ocean
#6 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!