“Expensive but worth it”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Winter Park, Florida
“Expensive but worth it”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I went to the CBI to experience "all thatChatham has to offer". I found the facilities to be 5 star and the employees were very helpful and courteous. When I would ask for directions, they didn't give me directions, they took me there. The help staff, on the outside veranda dining, were very considerate and even arraigned to change the fish on the "fish of the day" salad. My drinks were never empty and they were appropriately checking on any further needs I might have. The food was excellent and the ambiance was over the top. Truly the charges were in line for what one receives at such an outstanding property. The Chatham Bars Inn is an outstanding 5 star resort with all the appropriate accoutrements, I will visit again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ozell F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Every once in a while, I like to stay at high-end 4-star hotel (or better), and at those times, I am willing to pay for impeccable facilities and service at such properties. Chatham Bars Inn was one such property that I had found; the room rates were $850 per night. Sadly, the failed miserably on many counts, as I will describe below. I shall not return there, even at half the price.

I will start with the reservations service, which turned out to be very misleading. The Inn's reservation agents were excellent in doing their job, very pleasantly portraying the facility and its rooms as the most amazing, irresistible resort one could ever want to stay at. I described my needs to them:
a) Ocean Front, with no buildings between my room and the ocean
b) Large room
c) Deck, so I could sit outside and enjoy the sounds of the sea, the fresh air and read/relax
d) King bed

They found one such room for me, although it was only available if I could change my arrival dates, which I was able to do. My arrival date at the property was August 2 and I stayed for five nights.

Here is what the agents neglected to tell me about the room:
a) Directly to the left of my room's view, right on the ocean is a large commercial fishing pier.
b) At many times, an aroma of fish permeated the air.
c) At most times, including through the night, compressors on refrigerator trucks ran continuously, masking any other sounds.

As a result:
a) I never kept my windows open.
b) I never was able to sit on my deck and "enjoy the sounds of the sea, the fresh air and read/relax."

The first night, I contacted the front desk, who informed me there were no more ocean front rooms. I asked to have the manager contact me in the morning. The only call I received was from the front desk, which offered to move my room to the back of the property, far from the ocean. I declined, as at least I could see the ocean from inside my room, and the whole purpose of my vacation was to be able to see and feel the ocean. The manager never called, and no apology was issued.

While I understand that Chatham Bars Inn has no control over the fishing pier, it certainly has a responsibility to notify its guests about the pier as well as the resultant view, sounds and odors. It would then be up to the Inn and guest to determine a fair price for the unit, which certainly would be considerably less than the price of other rooms without such a major liability. The guest, of course, may then decide not to stay there. But I was not forewarned, and the property did nothing to apologize or make me feel better.

ISSUE #2: Housekeeping
The housekeeping staff, by and large, was excellent, but clearly had minimal training and probably was paid a very low wage (they appeared to be young, non-English-speaking people, likely brought to Cape Cod for the summer from overseas, as an opportunity to "see the USA". They did a fine job, except for one item, which is a big no-no, even at a low-end chain. Each day, we had ordered a non-complimentary New York Times delivered to the room. One day, right after it arrived, we placed it on the main table of the room, planning to read it later when we returned from breakfast. On top of the Times, we put our own New Yorker and Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Imagine our shock when we came back to the room, only to discover that they were all thrown out in the trash. We called the front desk; a bit later, we had a knock on the door from the head of Housekeeping, who went and retreived the paper and magazines from the trash, and brought along the poor, scared housekeeper, who was totally embarrassed. It was not her fault that she was not trained and didn't know any better. The handling of this incident was not appropriate for even a 3-star hotel. As an aside, I expected the hotel to offer us complimentary papers or something, but there was no attempt at an apology from management.

ISSUE #3: Restaurant Service
The overall feeling conveyed to us by the wait-staff at Chatham Bars restaurants was that we should feel privileged that we are eating at such a wonderful facility, and be happy that the servers would pay any attention to us. We never had a sense that the servers would go "above and beyond" should the occasion arise. I will provide a few examples; any of these, by itself, is trivial -- when it happens consistently, it is a problem:

a) Upon initial arrival at the Inn at 2pm, we wanted to eat lunch on the patio. The hostess told us that it would be about a 5-minute wait for a table. After 15 minutes (very hungry!), we asked the hostess what the wait looked like (at the time, there were two empty tables that had not yet been cleared). She replied by telling us that she has no control over how long people take to eat (wrong answer!), and that she is waiting for the two tables to be cleaned and re-set (couldn't she help out a bit?). I later learned that most of the wait staff, just as with the housekeeping staff, seemed to have minimal training -- certainly no sense that one's primary duty is to make the guest happy (couldn't the hostess have offered us a small plate of chips or something while we were waiting?).

b) At breakfast, even though we turned in our free-meal voucher, on one day, I discovered (upon checkout) a charge for the breakfast ($69 for two). The front desk then reversed it, upon my pointing out the error.

c) The wait staff, when asked what was in a dish, could only tell us what was stated on the menu. When a lunch item costs as much as it does, one expects the staff to know much more. Probably, one of the problems is that they didn't speak much English, which is another no-no for staff that needs to interact with guests at such a resort.

d) Service was excruciatingly slow, and we often had to wait ten or more minutes for a server to come by our table. This occurred consistently at breakfast and lunch. Even water was not refilled regularly.

e) Being told by one's server that guests receive only one iced tea refill before they are charged again is one of those penny-wise and pound-foolish moves that just leaves a very bad taste in one's mouth (not a good idea for a restaurant), which is something that doesn't happen even at a low-end property. Management has got to do better than that!

We cancelled our dinner reservations for the property, eating only the meals that were provided through our voucher. We went several times to Wequassett, a similar resort on the Cape, which had the type of impeccable service and perfectly trained staff that we had expected to find at Chatham Bars Inn. While the food prices also were high at Wequassett, they were not higher than Chatham Bars. However, at the former, we got what we paid for.

I will say that the Chatham Inn front desk staff was excellent and seemed always ready to go the extra mile. So was the valet staff at the front door and the staff at the beach. Clearly, they must have been trained by different people than housekeeping and the restaurant staff. They were very appropriate for a 4- or 5-star facility. And the food that we ordered was excellent -- it was just that the people who brought it were lacking.

Bottom line: The setting was beautiful, and the property very well taken care of. But don't count on service, and definitely eat elsewhere -- whether you want a high-end with a great view or an inexpensive meal, there are many other choices close by. And should you stay there, investigate much more than I your room location. And should something not be satisfactory, don't count on someone's making it right.

Room Tip: Keep away from the Fishing Pier. Room sizes vary considerably -- check first! Not all decks are priv...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Peter K
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor, we appreciate your feedback. In addition to this review, today we also received your written survey from The Leading Hotels of the World and will be discussing both with our staff this weekend, in effort to better understand where we may have fallen short of your expectations. Our Managing Director Paul Zuest will be responding to you directly early next week since we have your information with us on file.

I am sorry to read the details of your review that left such a negative impression of our service efforts at Chatham Bars Inn. Aside from the concern of your rooms location and your dialogue with our reception desk, the details of your experience were left completely off our radar, which at this busy time of year, is highly uncharacteristic of our proactive management team’s response to known guest concerns. In addition, upon review of your guest history, we had no further record of any service or experience related notes reported throughout your visit, which is always hard to be proactive if one is not fully aware of the full scope what may be happening real time, during a guest’s visit.

Again, we will be reaching out to you directly in effort to properly apologize and to go over your comments in greater detail.

Thank you again for your comments, both the positive and constructive.

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Charming place to stay with many things to recommend with some warnings! First, CBI is an overall pleasant place with a great beach location. Great pool, outdoor restaurant and stellar breakfast. But for the amount of money that we spent, our room should have been perfect. Instead, room was cramped. Worse were the noise problems. This is an old hotel and (I think I have this right from building maintenance) the rooms have pumps to drain A/C condensate. Pumps are in the ceiling above most rooms (like ours). The Cape climate can be humid so the pump activates frequently to drain. It is loud and disturbing especially in the middle of the night. Do not get room 20- near the elevator which is also used as room service elevator. There is a floor elevation change near the room - makes for unpleasant cart noises! Will say that the staff and manager were very friendly and listened to these complaints. They couldn't find another room for us but did comp us a breakfast (which is amazing) but still...they need to correct these items for the amount they charge.

Room Tip: Do not book room 20 on the second floor of the main hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dbenners
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Let me start by saying that the grounds of this hotel are just breath taking, perched on a bluff overlooking a harbor and sand bar with private hotel grounds directly on the beach as well that include dining, bars, pool and beach access. That is the VERY good about this hotel, and it is also a very short walk to the very quaint town of Chatham and a stone's throw from the municipal 9 hole golf course that is actually quite a links challenge.
We took a family vacation that included 4 different rooms that were ALL very expensive, which were luckily being paid for by the patriarch of our family - - - at least he paid for the rooms, the incidentals, well...... The rooms were all very clean and ranged from decent location (one Sister, and our room) to outstanding location right on the beach (my other Sister's). The prices were absolutely out of control for these rooms - one Sister's was $1,100/nt., ours was $1,500/nt., and God only knows what my Sister's on the beach cost (I wasn't privy to the info!). Needless to say, my Wife and I are more along the $200-$300/nt. type of vacationing couple (especially with a 1 and 2 year old in tow!), so needless to say, we were in sticker shock mode. So, knowing what everything cost, I was expecting 4 Seasons type service by all staff - - - sorry, NOT even close!
Our first poor experience came with the first night's dinner in the pub (Sacred Cod). The apps were fair to poor, but the huge problem was my Dad and my entrees. We ordered that night's special prime rib medium rare and lo and behold it came back medium well with not even a slight pink, let alone red. I returned mine immediately but my Dad (who NEVER complains about anything) decided to tough it out and try it. After a ten minute wait, the waiter came back and said there was no more prime rib, but they had the 14 oz ribeye so I gave it a shot. I must admit that the returned steak was fantastic, but my poor Dad who could only stomach three bites of his tough overcooked rib ended up having half my steak, so we both ended up leaving with a lot less money in our pocket (the price was $38 for each of our meals) and not very full stomachs!
Well, we figured it could only get better at breakfast, so we took our young kids to the buffet. After literally waiting 10 minutes while waiters and hosts/hostesses whizzed past us constantly we were finally seated in the way back and dropped off at a table that had two seats while we waited for another seat and a high chair....and waited....and waited....and waited. Finally my Dad and Sister came by to say 'hi' after their meal at another table and wondered why we were still standing, to which we voiced our displeasure and the fact that we had asked twice for chairs. I finally just grabbed a chair from a neighboring table and asked a busboy to get us a high chair. That said, no one came over to ask us what we wanted (you have the option of ordering off the menu or doing the buffet) or even offer coffee. My Dad watching this whole thing unfold just shook his head and went looking for what looked to be the head host. He gave me coffee but mentioned nothing about our food orders or what was offered. After literally sitting at our table for no lie a good 5 minutes, I decided I'd better get up and get my own cream for the coffee since none would be offered and we then just said the heck with it and decided to hit the buffet before the kids had a meltdown. The food was fine, but service was downright AWFUL and as I was walking out, I noticed there happened to be an cooking station in a side corner of the restaurant that I would have loved IF anyone had ever come over to explain things to us. A miserable morning start to the day that was only more infuriating because of the night time gaffe in the pub the night before! A serious hint, avoid this pricey breakfast and take a short walk down town to the Captain's Table - we did this every morning after and were greeted with smiles and exactly what we ordered!!
The beach, although beautiful to look at from the bluff, is not a real hang out beach that CBI would have you think by the cabanas down there. It is a dark sand that is plagued by a perennially low tide and freezing cold water. It is just not a very attractive stretch of sand when you are down there - and we are a beach stroll loving couple with the kids either in stroller or one carried and one semi-walking. We did enjoy the FREE (yes, something finally included) boat shuttle to the sand bar. It is a much nicer stretch of beach out there, but again it is freezing cold water that you might not want to brave with either the seals (we saw swimming close by) or the shark that we were told was in the immediate area. What does that leave, why the pool of course. We had a cabana rented all week, and figured it would work out well, and it did. The cabana is nicely equipped with chaises, food tables, wind barriers and a stocked fridge (water and soda anyways). The staff at the pool are all young kids and I have nothing but praises for them, they are the exact opposite of what you can expect in both the pub and dining room. I don't want to generalize, but it seemed that all of the dining staff in the Inn (Verandah, Pub and dining room) were of Eastern European decent with no emotion or care. The staff at the pool and beach were young local kids who really hustled and cared about the customer. Seems like the CBI higher ups should re-think who they have staffing certain areas, I would flip it and have the Europeans at the pool and locals manning the very important dining areas.
We had a nice rainy night hanging out at the Verandah, and decided to have take out which turned into a mind boggling $350 tab. Between two adult dinners and apps for kids, plus 4-5 drinks each for 4 adults my jaw hit the floor! Be prepared to pay at least $12 for a vodka tonic and almost $20 for a premium mixed drink!! Did I mention that the setting is breath taking? Well, if the setting doesn't take your breath away, the bills will!
I will end the review on the Tuesday night clam bake. It actually was great for the most part. the lobsters were just perfect and the clams and shrimp were super fresh as well. The steak was absolutely abysmal - small and disturbingly over cooked (every single one of our party of 14 who tried their steak took a bite and that was all!). My Dad did not tell me how much it came up to, but my Wife saw him grab the check at $890 for 7 adults, 5 kids and 2 toddlers. That is astronomical, even though you have to add in for a few drinks per couple.
Overall, I can see that people would come to CBI for it's sheer beauty and proximity to Chatham. However, for the discerning traveler who likes to spend but not lavishly for a product that is not worthy, this will be a one and done trip. Thanks Dad for picking up most of the tab, but my incidentals were still almost $1,500 for 4 days and 5 nights and for what we got in return, it was not a fair trade off. If you are required to pay a five star price, the finished product should also be five star!!
If you want a still semi-expensive vacation on the Cape, but on a BEAUTIFUL beach with swimmable waters (temp-wise) and two separate pools, try the Sea Crest in Falmouth instead. If you want a fantastic clam bake that is from top to bottom fantastic, and a little cheaper go to Wianno in Osterville Sunday Nights.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank CdrMcBragg
Thank you for taking the time to detail your extensive narrative of your family’s vacation at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa. We appreciate your complimentary comments in highlighting our property and facilities, in addition to your experience at our family style clam bake, at The Beach House.

Allow me to offer an apology that span’s across the board for your disappointment in price point for the accommodations your father generously paid for, in addition to any service and food preparation miscue’s mentioned in your comments above. As a four star rated seasonal beach front resort, we strive for the absolute best on a daily basis from the top down and if we fall short in aspect of our hospitality, we want to do what’s right and correct in a timely fashion. While it is lovely to be compared hotel companies such as Four Seasons, we tend not to make such comparisons, as we are an independently owned and operated property. Our goal is to provide gracious service and an experience that is both memorable and enjoyable. From the sounds of your review, we fell short on many counts.

I am truly sorry that we were not able to connect with either your father or you when your family was still on property, I would have very much appreciated an opportunity to hear your thoughts and concerns, while we still would have had a chance to turn your impressions of our performance around. It is always disappointing for me to read reviews such as yours when not having any prior knowledge of anything as extensive as the feedback provided to me today.
On behalf of our entire staff, we would like to collectively apologize again for leaving your lasting impressions of our property as that of just an average stay.

We hope that you may consider giving Chatham Bars Inn an opportunity to better showcase our very best hospitality in the future. I know that we can, and do on a regular basis, far better than the examples mentioned in your review.

Thank you for your candid, detailed feedback.

MA
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Staying at CBI was on my "Bucket List". It has never been in our budget to stay there, but for our 10th wedding anniversary we decided we would stay one night. We took our two children ages 6 and 9 and had the most AMAZING time! A dream come true!!! Everything from the impeccable service to the pool was just fantastic. The food was outstanding and our room was very comfortable. It was a wonderful surprise to receive a complimentary bottle of wine and a very nice anniversary card from the hotel. Our children loved the pool and the beach and especially the binoculars on the veranda. We took hundreds of pictures and hope to come back again some day.
Thank you CBI for a wonderful memory!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aidybug
Chatham
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very disappointing! Paid a fortune as it was to be the highlight of our US east coast trip. After shopping around, paid £2,375in advance for Delux room (2 bed) for 4 nights. At that price, we were very disappointed to find we were at back of the resort and our one window faced straight onto a services path, in front of a high hedge! When we arrived, 2pm, the scene was chaotic! There was a large wedding occupying the bar and beach restaurant, the terrace restaurant was booked out and there was only standing room at the bar. our car was to be driven to the room, but this did not happen. We drove it to our 'delux room', to find the car park full. I realise that we arrived just after 4th of July holiday, but feel a luxury resort like this ought to be able to cater better for its guests. A few days later there was more breathing space as some guests had left, even though the weddings continued daily. Had much better time and value at Waldorf Astoria, NY, for a third of the price!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank A H
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa on Trip Advisor. I am awfully sorry that we were unable to connect regarding your overall experience while you were still on property. It is always difficult to properly resolve any outstanding concerns once a guest departs. Not knowing that an experience such as your was diminished due to the busy volume over the 4th of July Holiday, coupled with being a popular wedding weekend at CBI this past July , is unfortunate to learn of now.

I hope that despite the circumstance surrounding your July visit, you may give us a try in the future when visiting the states. I am confident that we can do much better next time, from room selection to personally valeting your vehicle in the event of heavy traffic volume in and around the resort. Please don’t hesitate contacting me if I can be of further or future assistance to you. My direct line is 508.945.6710.

Thank you again for your feedback, I only wish we had an opportunity to make it right while you were here.

Regards,
Scarsdale, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed 3 nights at this lovely resort. We made our plans only a couple of weeks ago but we were able to get a one bedroom suite for my husband, me and our daughter. The suite, which was one half of a cottage, was quite large and well appointed. Two large flat screen tvs, dressing/make up area with small sink which made sharing the bathroom much easier. Sofa bed was pretty comfortable. Of course prices are high, but you know that going in. Breakfast buffet was excellent. Beach is very nice and there is a beach that you get to by boat which is really great (note it has no amenities so be prepared). Dinner at Stars was fine. Service was excellent. Food was good and enjoyable but not great. Noverall I can see coming back again next time we go to the cape.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Anchor In Hotel
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!