“A Special Place!”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Wayne, Pennsylvania
“A Special Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a truly special place to vacation with your family. This is our 10th stay at CBI and look forward to our next vacation here. Everything you need is right here; delicious restaurants, golf, tennis, spa, beautiful scenic walks to Light House Beach, walk to town location, shopping and the most beautiful place to just sip a glass of wine overlooking the best views in Chatham. The service scores an A+, everyone is very well trained at making you feel so special as their guest.

Room Tip: I've stayed at several different rooms and cottages on the property. They are all nice, but you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Let me start by saying that the Chatham Bars Inn is a beautiful facility, and upon arrival my friend and I were impressed with the restorations that had taken place. We arrived on Tuesday and planned to depart on Friday.

On our first night we enjoyed a delicious dinner in The Tavern and a relaxing evening by the fire in the lovely living room. Trouble began the next day when a large group arrived. Once they arrived the living room was restricted for use only by the convention. Although it was June the weather was less than pleasant so restricting this area to the convention meant regular guests were restricted to relaxing in their private rooms. The large lobby area was jammed with convention goers and it was nearly impossible to negotiate the stairway leading to our room. The convention had clearly usurped the Inn. On Friday we were quite disturbed upon discovering that no longer could we enjoy the main dining room with its wonderful view of the water and scrumptious buffet breakfast, paid for as part of our package. Instead, we were served breakfast in The Tavern off the menu with very bad service. When we asked for butter, the server took the unwrapped butter off another table, which had not yet been cleared from the previous guests.

I completely understand that to remain open the Inn needs to entertain these large groups. However, the faciliy is clearly not designed to do so while servicing its regular guests who are paying a hefty rate to stay there. We were never notified before our arrival of any restrictions there might be because of a large group utilizing the Inn. The whole situation was especially disturbing because we were paying the full in-season rate for an oceanfront room in the main inn - $755
including breakfast, taxes, and fees - but we were not able to make full use of the Inn.

Upon returning home I decided to email the hotel manager to express our concerns. I asked that we be charged a reduced rate, possibly the same rate as the convention was paying, and that a credit be issued for the difference. They responded quickly and offered us one free night for our next visit. At the time, this seemed a fair response to my email. I was planning to use the free night in September with my husband who had never been to the Inn.

Here is where my "beware" to others lies. I called to make some reservations for September and was told I could have another lovely premier room on the waterfront in the main inn. At that time I asked if there would be any large groups coming in during that time period. The representative first indicated that she had no way of knowing. After some pressure from me, she looked and sure enough there was a large group coming in during that time period. She searched week by week for the whole month of September and into October. No time period existed without a large group of some kind utilizing the facility. She told me that the first week in May 2014 looked open. I then asked if the full rate would be charged for all of these weeks even though the Inn would be quite restricted. Unfortunately, the full rates remain.

My advice to anyone who plans to visit the Chatham Bars Inn for a relaxing getaway be aware of the restricted use they may face. At the rates the Inn commands it is simply not worth all the inconvenience. We certainly did not have the relaxing stayed we had planned. Based on what I discovered when I tried to make September reservations, we will never use our free night. Therefore I must conclude that we did not receive proper compensation for our displeasure in June.

Room Tip: BEWARE of large groups using the facility that will negatively impact your stay!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank JoAnn D
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of your visit with us at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa from this past June, we appreciate your feedback. I have referred to a letter we wrote to you from Managing Director Paul Zuest, so that I am better in tune with what your concerns were then, and how we responded.

As Paul mentioned, as much as we hate to inconvenience some of our in-house guests whenever private or group events take up one of our venues, a certain amount of the special events business is invariably an integral part of any luxury hotel property with large catering space. Without this business segment, CBI would not be able to remain open throughout the year. We do have a procedure whereby guests affected by such circumstances will be called prior to their arrival to advise them accordingly and offer assistance with reservations and transportation to other restaurants. I apologize that this was apparently not done in your case and I have addressed this oversight with the department head concerned.

I am concerned that the server at breakfast was not personable and their steps of service were clearly not the norm of how we operate. Michael Blaksteen, Director of Food and Beverage, and I extend our sincere apologies to you; he wishes to let you know that he has spoken with his staff about the incident and has reviewed our service standards with them. Genuinely friendly and helpful service is a priority here at Chatham Bars Inn.

You deserved better than we delivered and we would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back and restore your confidence in our hospitality. I understand that some of the dates you wish to return may be under the same circumstances with regards to us having a blend of both corporate and social guests in house. Perhaps I could be of direct assistance to you in that respect, with finding out when would be the best time to come and how we can provide a better service and overall experience for you. Please don’t hesitate contacting my office directly, my direct number is 508.945.6710, I very much look forward to working on proper resolve.

Thank you again for expressing your candid concerns and we apologize for the way in which your overall experience with Chatham Bars Inn has been thus far. We hope to be of better service to you at another time and we look forward to welcoming you back under happier circumstances.

Kind regards,

On behalf of Managing Director Paul Zuest
Rye Brook, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

What are the three rules when it comes to real estate? The answer? Location, location, location. This resort truly capitalizes on those rules, but not in a way that best benefits its guests. While the hotel is not a dingy disaster that one would expect from a Super 8 or a Travelodge, the best word to describe my family's recent stay was... underwhelming. Nevertheless, there are some areas of the resort that truly stand out.
First is the spa, a beautifully ran, professional facility that could be considered the gem of CBI. All the staff really paid attention to detail, making sure every one of our needs were taken care of whether it was fresh towels or keeping the locker rooms consistently clean. We spent three days there to relax and all of us felt that every penny spent was truly worth while. The zen gardens and pool were the perfect place to relax, tan, read a nice book, without any screaming kids or disruptive noise.
Second is the food, both the beach house grill and the Stars restaurant were excellent dining experiences. While neither restaurant is considered inexpensive by any means, the quality of the food was definitely above average for a resort. I can even say that Stars could rival any New York steakhouse.
Other high points included bell staff, shuttle drivers, concierge, and oh yes... the view, what an absolutely stunning vista to wake up to every morning. But that was where the good news ends.
Our biggest complaint was the room, a premier ocean view suite (room 374) in the "Lands End" cottage. The television did not work properly since many of the high definition channels were missing (while being listed in the channel guide). The Internet was on average 3-5 mbps, not terribly fast, and became even slower when more people logged on in the evening. There were large stains on the carpet and couch which were ignored instead of being addressed by the housekeeping staff. The walls were incredibly thin that every time the cottage door entrance opened and closed, it woke my family up, especially at six in the morning when the newspaper was delivered.
But the worst part of the room was the bathroom. Tiles missing and falling out, and for the first two mornings there was no hot water (the resort did give us a 50% rate reduction for that inconvenience for two nights and offered to move us to different room). Additionally, the bathroom amenities were advertised as l'occitane, but what the resort failed to mention is that they are in soap dispensers rather than mini toiletry bottles (something I would expect at a Super 8). The dispensers even added an unpleasant plastic smell to the products, especially the conditioner.
My family was also disappointed with was the lack of Leaders Club recognition. For those who do not know, it is a $150 per year membership that entitles guests at hotels in the Leading Hotels of the World program to special perks like a welcome gift, breakfast daily, and late check out privileges. While the resort did give us vouchers for breakfast every morning, none of the preferences which were set online before our arrival where adhered to. For example, one of the people in my family is lactose intolerant, and the welcoming gift preferences set online did not include any mention of a cheese plate. Instead upon our arrival, a cheese plate was waiting for us, not ideal for someone who cannot digest dairy products. Other preferences that were ignored included the newspaper choice (ours is The New York Times or Wall Street Journal), and the need for a pullout couch to be made every night.
While many of the above complaints are relatively minor at other hotels like a Marriott or a Hilton, these lapses are unacceptable at an establishment which charges $1300 per night. At that price, I expect something on par with a Ritz Carlton or St. Regis. Hotels like the Fairmont Southampton (same price, double the space), The Whiteface Lodge (2/3 price, double the space), or The Sagamroe (half price, same space) all offered superior service and on par amenities for a greater value.
I would like to make it clear that my family still had a lovely time at CBI, and there are some really fantastic aspects of the resort. However, for the price paid, the experience should have been closer to perfection rather than disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank money7521
resortmanagercbi, Manager at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and others on Trip Advisor, in addition to previously completing the Leading Hotels of the World client satisfaction survey following your recent stay at Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa.

Needless to say, I was very sorry to note from your low ratings of our guest services and personal comments that your experience was not as perfect as it should have been especially with regard to your accommodations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortcomings and inconvenience you were caused on not one but two days of your stay due to the temporary hot water shortage caused by the broken boiler. To make matters worse, there were poor performances on the part of our housekeeping and room inspection team when they failed to notice the stains on the carpet and the loose tiles in the bathroom. Our usual high standards of room comfort and attention to detail were clearly missing in your experience. As you can imagine, we hate to disappoint our guests and I am glad the Front Desk staff worked out a suitable compensation as further apology.

I would also like to thank you sharing some positive feedback specifically with our Spa and Dining outlets, we are delighted to hear that you found enjoyment in both areas.

We certainly hope for the opportunity to welcome you back for a better stay that will restore your confidence in Chatham Bars Inn and the quality of all our guest services.

Kind regards,
mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com
508.945.6710
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in one of the Spa Suites for an overnight getaway.

Resort review: Upon arriving in my suite) upwards of $1,000 USD per night), it had not been cleaned. According to the front desk manager, there was a computer error and the room was not inspected.

There were crumbs and bugs covering the floor, stains on multiple locations on the rug and a splatter of food-type debris on the wall. There were hairs in both sinks and the large bathtub. Dust covered the entire room and the bed frame was broken, exposing a plywood base.

The wall by the steam shower has clearly sustained water damage that has not been fixed.

This was not simply a one time cleaning mishap, the level of stains and dust indicate an alarming lack of housekeeping oversight.

In the main lobby, the ATM has been out of service since last weekend (today is Wednesday!) and the concierge was impatient when asked about other cash options.

There were beverage service trays littering the lobby lounge area.

The hallways and stairs leading to the spa suites were dusty and unclean.

The service has been friendly, however. The bellmen are well trained and the front desk staff genuinely knowledgeable about the resort.

Spa review: Overpriced for quality of output.

If you are accustomed to a first class spa experience, you won't get it here. They try, but everything just seems to fall short. For example, the product that is offered in the steam shower room is beautifully presented however the product itself is subpar.

The aesthetician who did my facial was unpleasant, used product that burned my face even after a lengthy discussion of my skin type and was seemingly annoyed when I upgraded my service to include an additional scalp massage. For a $300 service, I left disappointed.

The issue for guests like me is that there are no other resorts like this on the Cape. The CBI has a captive audience of affluent folks looking for a resort type vacation in a quintessential New England town. It's unfortunate that they are resting on the laurels of a reputation long gone by.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank zukolivie
I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself in addition to immediately say how very sorry I am for the regrettable shortcomings that diminished the quality of your stay at Chatham Bars Inn.
It sounds like your visit didn’t seem to start off well regarding specifically spotty housekeeping and maintenance related items, all of which should have been in tip top shape, for the price of our resort’s spa suites. To make matters worse, we clearly made a mistake at the point of check in when in fact the spa suite, was not in fact ready or suitable for guest rental. I personally make a point in walking the 25 acres of our property and spot checking guestrooms on a daily basis in effort to ensure cleanliness and quality throughout our resort, however in this instance we simply failed in many basic areas that could have prevented you from having to depart this morning feeling less than satisfied.

I am also disappointed and surprised at the less than stellar experience you detailed regarding our Spa’s facilities and staff. Spa Director Majka Kendall continues to steer the Spa towards 5 Star qualities on a consistent basis posting among the resorts highest service ratings on an annual basis. Both she and I were dismayed to read that we fell short in this rare instance, of both yours and our expectations.

A poor first impression is always difficult to reverse, but I know than we can do better and I am hopeful that we may have a chance to welcome you back sometime down the road and provide you with a stay that will be enjoyable and flawless in every aspect of our hospitality from the moment you arrive through departure. Please don’t hesitate contacting my office in the future if I can be of further assistance to you. My line is 508.945.6710 or by email, mbriggs@chathambarsinn.com.

Thank you again for candid review.

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Just had an incredible weekend at CBI! What an amazing location - the views are spectacular - and the staff is fantastic. They went above and beyond anticipating my needs. From a seamless and informative check-in to the luxurious spa suite, to finely crafted cocktails and delicious appetizers on the Adirondack chairs.....the time at CBI was a true treat. I am already planning my return trip!

Room Tip: The Spa Suites are spectacular - each has a huge steeping tub, sauna and steam room in the shower ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alpharita A
Trumbull, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is a resort absolutely the best hotel in the cape the staff is incredible attentive to every need from front desk to the pool to the activities coordinators they are there for everything and anything you need, rooms are small but the lobby and sitting areas are spacious and opulent, restaurants and pub are pricey but worth it same situation they attend to your every need par 3 close by as well if you want to splurge this is the place in the cape

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank atlantagor
Port Murray, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I go to the Bars every other year or so for a long weekend. It's a great getaway in a great village (Chatham) on a great Cape (Cod).

There are many upscale hotels to choose from. Some are new money, glitz and glamour places and some are old money, refined retreats. In my opinion, the Bars is closer to the latter. There's nothing gaudy about it, and the staff lets you choose how much interaction you want to have with them.

We've stayed in the hotel proper, as well as the rooms in the outbuildings. I think it's worth the money to get an ocean view because it's spectacular, but if there are none available, it's still worth it, because you can just sit in the restaurant or walk the beach and enjoy the views nonetheless.

I love this place. If I had the money and the time, I'd go there more often than I do now.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!