“Nice room and staff but only one restaurant open and most of facilities closed off season in April” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Looe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

If we had come from end of May onwards I feel sure we would have given this five stars, but but we didn't. Staff trying very hard and we were kindly given rooms in the main hotel because it is quiet, when we had only paid for one of the outlying cottages. However, it is a bit like holidaying in a ghost town. The scenery and natural beauty of the place is superb, and it is apparently heaving during the summer months, so maybe we got the long stick after all! Would definitely come again, and one of local staff members recommended end of September when weather still great and most tourists gone. All preparations for the summer are well underway in the hotel, and it would certainly be amazing to BBQ on the beach and play tennis and swim in their pool.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and try to get in the main hotel where the restaurants are. Corner suite very bri...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I have stayed at the CBI about 5 times. I have stayed in both the main inn and in a cottage. The CBI is always one of my favorite places to stay on Cape Cod.

The rooms are always spotless and not one thing is out of place. I enjoy the Nespresso machines in each room as opposed to crappy hotel room coffee. The Bose wave radio's are also a nice touch and great when you return to your room in the evening and the turndown service has tranquil music playing.

The outdoor bar across the street on the water is a great spot in nice weather to have a drink. I like the bar in the main inn but I wish it had an ocean view. Great seafood and chowder. Even if we don't stay at the CBI we will always go for their breakfast at Stars. Great spread, lots of options, its worth the money with a great view.

The valet service is great, very friendly and professional. They also have a complementary car service which have used to avoid drinking and driving in beautiful Land Rovers.

I would recommend a visit here in both off season and high season.

Room Tip: I personally like the main inn, though my wife would suggest a cottage.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wrentham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We enjoyed everything this resort had to offer, even in the off season. Staff attentive and efficient. We arrived at noon and were called by two to indicate our room in one of the cottages was ready. The room was beautifully appointed, clean and overlooked the golf course and had an ocean view as well. Turn down service with chocolates, slippers and robes was a nice touch. We were able to be accommodated in the Spa late in the day and had an exceptional experience. Staff were informative and helped my daughter and I choose from their extensive menu of Spa services. We ventured out to a familiar restaurant for dinner but knew we would cap off our evening at CBI for dessert - where staff recommended beautifully presented sweets with coffee. Our stay was too brief - just an overnight. I look forward to an extended get away next time and am confident it will be unmatched again.

Room Tip: We stayed in either the Seaview or Seabreeze cottage. Being on the second floor was great as it over...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely room in the seabreeze cottage. Very comfortable and cosy bed. Dinner was delicious and our waiter was very knowledgeable about wine. Didn't try the spa...it was seemed a bit pricey. The Inn Was an easy walk to the main part of town with litte shops.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The service at this hotel is hard to beat. They cannot do enough for you including rides to and from a restaurant if you want to have cocktails. Every employee I came across was very pleasant and eager to please.

• Stayed April 2013
Hemel Hempstead, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Just what you, would imagine a beach-front property would be like in Cape cod.

The location is brilliant - right on the beach (and the beach is both large and the sand is great). The hotel has wonderful charm; is in a fantastic location - next to the golf course, 5 minutes walk to the main street.

The staff are incredibly friendly, attentive and kind. I stayed there with my wife and young family. My kids are true kids - they like running around, and even though the hotel is expensive and exclusive there was not the snooty-ness I have experienced in other locations.

Although we were there outside of season, the place was quiet and many local restaurants were closed. It didn't stop us from having a lovely time though.

We stayed in one of the cottages near the children's playground and next to the golf course - it was on the ground floor, but I think there was a generator of some sort below us which churned at odd hours of the day and made a little too much noise for my liking. Other than that, the room was beautifully appointed, 2 large, comfortable beds, a Nespresso machine; a very large bathroom (with a big, deep bath) and a huge TV with lots of channels and pay-tv movies. There was also a small fridge and L'Occitane toiletries.

The hotel has a couple of restaurants and a bar that were open. The pool is still closed and we didn't use the spa. I would imagine that in mid-summer this place is fantastic.

Prices on site for drinks / food are what you would expect for such a place.

We stayed for a couple of days and had a great time. I would go back in a minute.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Now, I have to admit that I was there with my fiancé during the off season, and much of Chatham is, for lack of a better term, closed. I won't take that into my review though.
I'll also stick with my usual rating style.
Pros:
Great location- right on the water, good access to the town centre.
Great staff- staff were very accommodating, but not the best I've dealt with.
Fantastic rooms- our room was in the beach house, which while it was detached from the main building, still was well kept, and I felt just fine asking room service to deliver out to us.

Cons:
Service falls down a bit- we checked in after a long drive, and arrived at around 2. We were told that our room wouldn't be ready until 4 (which seems a bit late to me), and that they would call us when it was ready. We didn't get a call until 4, which was unexpected, as the hotel was pretty much dead...
Also, when we asked about The Impudent Oyster in town, they assured us that it was open, whereas it wasn't. I also expected them to call ahead for us to set up a reservation.
Price- for what you get, I do find the price a bit steep. Yes, Chatham is expensive in general, but I think it was just a bit much.

That said, I would still recommend it to friends (friends with money though).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Beach House, which in the off season was perfect because it was quiet, and felt a b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Pleasant Bay Village
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 21 in South Yarmouth
4.0 of 5 stars 533 reviews
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!