“Beautiful hotel”

The Chatham Wayside Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed August 19, 2006

This hotel is really well placed next to the park and on the main street with all its quaint shops. It is colonial in style (white wood and verandas) and our family room was huge and quite grand. Lovely bathroom and rooms serviced every day. The pool is small but really clean and useful after sightseeing all day. The beach is a 10 minute walk. Although the hotel do make you pay up front (about 4 weeks in advance) I can forgive them as this is a popular place. Free coffee is served at reception in the morning, although there are lots of places for breakfast on Main street. It might be worth requesting the top floor as we could hear footsteps above us at night - my only complaint. Chatham is a good base as you are right in the middle of the Cape. It seemed very upmarket!

2  Thank ks2

Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Chatham Wayside Inn over July 4th and were very happy.

The room was clean and comfortable- if a bit small (but we did get the cheapest room available, which was probably why it was small). While there's no formal concierge, the staff was helpful in recommending day trips, and providing directions. We only ate breakfast at the hotel, but breakfast was very good.

The location can't be beat. Right at the center of Main Street, there's no need to get in your car to explore the charming shops, galleries, and of course the homemade ice cream! Good restaurants are within walking distance, and others are within short driving distance. Although we didn't go to the closest beaches, there are 2 beaches within walking distance as well.

Overall, nice experience, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank mmuller2
Reviewed November 25, 2005

Charming, individual hotel. Room delightful, homely and comfortable. Private balcony and whirlpool tub in bathroom were added little luxuries. Reception and Dining Room staff were all friendly and efficient. Dinner was delicious. Service was good. Very comfortable beds, well furnished room. A very pleasant experience and would definitely stay again.

6  Thank Thelma&Louise
A TripAdvisor Member
Bethlehem, PA
Reviewed October 29, 2005

My husband and I decided to go to the Cape for a summer vacation this year. A family friend recommended the Wayside Inn to us and I would have no problems recommending this Inn to anyone.

We were able to check in early, the room was gorgeous and in great condition. The staff was very helpful in recommending restaurants and giving directions. They even suggested that we check out a local baseball game -- it was great.

The location of the inn was unbeatable... downtown Chatham, short walk to the beach and an easy drive to any part of the Cape.

The inn kepper informed us on our first night that they had to enter our room to fix the air conditioning unit for our "neighbor". They gave us a complimentary breakfast for our inconvience (not that it was an inconvience -- they were in and out while we were on a walk).

This is definitely a "must stay" in my book!

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2005

We ended up with a very nice triple aspect room on the third floor after rejecting two other rooms, one of which actually had the lift motor room in the corner!! The only minor gripe was that the bath water leaked away and despite being reported was not resolved.

The front desk staff were good with the exception of a grumpy 40+ female for whom everything was too much trouble.

The menu looked good but the food was only average and the Sunday brunch was more limited than one would have expected and did not have basic items such as bacon or sausage and was overpriced.We stayed a week and only ate there twice because of this.

What was potentially a nice hotel turned out to be only average and we certainly would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank Kilkerran
Reviewed August 21, 2005

There's really only two problems I had with the Wayside. First, don't bother even trying to get early checkin. Normal checkin is at 4pm, which is on the late side anyway. But when we called ahead at 2pm since we were ahead of schedule to ask for early checkin I was told that we could check in "as early as 4", that our room was probably not ready before they ever asked for my name, and after (supposedly) looking said that it would possibly be ready early, sometime between 3:30 and 4pm. In other words absolutely no help at all.
The whole front desk was actually pretty odd - I had to wait behind a woman who was not even staying there, but had just wandered in and now wanted a detailed description of each individual room because she might decide to stay there. When she saw me behind her she even said to the clerk, "I realize that people are waiting to check in, but this is how you get new business" or something strange like that, like she was the most important person in the room. Two clerks on the desk would have solved that problem nicely.

Second, and probably very important to parents of young children, is that there is only one refrigerator on premises, off the kitchen. 24hr access to store whatever you want, which would be fine...except that there are 3 buildings to this inn. So if you're not in the main building and your daughter wants milk at 5am, put on your shoes because you've got a hike across the parking lot to make. I asked about just paying for a refrigerator in the room, but it was not an option.

The room itself was fine, a nice suite with king bed and a pullout sofa (aka "magic bed") for my daughter. Bathroom's a little small, no counter space to put your things. The crib that we'd requested was in the room when we arrived (nice), and they had high chairs and crayons (but no children's menu) in the restaurant.

In general the whole town just did not feel friendly to children. Every store had a "no strollers" sign on the door, including the Wayside restaurant itself. Some had "please hold your child's hand" as well. Although there is an outside pool at the hotel, I never heard a noise coming from it, so we were a little leery of taking our children out there for fear that they might have too much fun and disturb somebody. So you end up with this weird "Are you catering to people with children, or just tolerating them?" vibe that you never quite shake.

None of the locals will talk to you. My wife and I walked up and down this lovely town center Friday morning trying to make eye contact and say good morning to as many people as we could, and not a single one even acknowledged us. They have no problem staring at my kids as they walk by, which is a personal pet peeve of mine, but no acknowledgement that we might actually be capable of returning a greeting. The sort of behavior that makes you wonder if these people ever had, or in fact ever were, children. What was particularly funny was the next morning I noticed that everybody was saying hello and smiling. I pointed this out to my wife who said, "It's Saturday. We're talking to tourists today. Yesterday was locals." True enough!

We did visit a nearby beach, so the kids did have something to do. It was very small, though, and fit probably less than 100 people before everybody was on top of you. To be fair, everybody at the beach was friendly and nobody got upset as children darted back and forth around sand castles and frisbee games. But then, those were the people with children of their own, not the podpeople that were walking the streets.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank DMorin
A TripAdvisor Member
New Hampshire
Reviewed June 25, 2005

My husband and I looked forward to our well planned weekend getaway at the Chatham Wayside Inn with another couple and were sadly disappointed. At check-in the clerk was okay but had a grumpy female manager overseeing her. She processed my credit card information on another persons registration card-I had her start over. Our room was average with nothing special, we had constant problems with a running toilet and a slow sink and tub drain. Our friends room had a nice view of a golf course but the decor was worn and drab with broken furnishings and an HVAC unit that only put out super heat. The staff tried to fix it but never did and sadly didn't seem to care. The restaurant was extremely disappointing. Dinner the first night - 3 entrees were sent back-2 cold, 1 raw. The 4th entree was overcooked but he was too embarrased to send it back. Server looked annoyed. A manager came over to apologize. Server looked more annoyed. Price too high for quality. Our breakfast was included in the package for each morning but the service wasn't much better than dinner. We ate all meals off property for the rest of the stay which included passing on the complimentary breakfast. We will not return to the Chatham Wayside but we will return to the Cape and stay at another property. We loved touring the area.

• Stayed: April 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
Chatham Tides
Chatham Tides
#1 of 1 in South Chatham
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Been to The Chatham Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!