“A perfect location for honeymoon”
Review of Carriage House Inn

Carriage House Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Chatham B&B and Inns
cork, ireland
“A perfect location for honeymoon”
Reviewed June 3, 2008

We recently had a wonderful stay with Paula & Tim at the Carriage House Inn. We stayed for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon on Cape Cod. What a wonderful stay it was. We arrived to find a beautiful room (Room 3).Tim gave us a map of the area and showed us where the main sights were. Paula was great to help with places to dine and there were menus for the various restaurants in the guest area (We ate 2 nights in The Impudent Oyster and 1 night in The Squire - Both on Paula's recommendation and we were not dissappointed).

Tim provided us with a wonderful breakfast each morning (even making special items to suit my diet requirements) and Paula would always ask if we needed any help with planning the days activities. Fresh home baked cookies, drinks and other snacks were provided free of charge which was a nice touch.

The area around Chatham is wonderful to explore and we really enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning again sometime. Tim and Paula were excellent hosts and really made us feel welcome. They are certainly excellent at what they do.

• Liked — The whole package
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Lansdale, PA
Reviewed May 26, 2008

It's often said (especially of really good B & Bs) that they're like "home away from home," but I can say honestly that the Carriage House Inn is even better. Yes, my husband and I were made to feel completely welcome during our 6-night stay, and we used the lovely common area as if it were our very own living room almost every afternoon, but that's where the similarity ends...

For one thing, our home is nowhere near as gorgeous as Paula and Tim's - the common area, as I've said, couldn't be nicer, and our room (#5) was absolutely perfect. (My husband is still drooling over the built-in DVD player in the flatscreen TV).

As for the breakfasts, that's another big difference between the Carriage House and our house - whereas I tend to grab a quick bowl of cereal in the mornings, breakfast at the Carriage House is a culinary adventure to which we looked forward every day. Served between 8:30 and 9:30, the meal always features two "courses" (the first is usually an abundance of fruit with some wildly imaginative and delicious sauce Tim's cooked up, the second a heavenly variation on the "eggs-and-bacon" theme - think lemon crepes, french toast baked in a casserole dish, western-omelete-style frittata, etc.) And that doesn't even touch on the "sweet" that accompanies each second course - a chocolate croissant, perhaps, or peach-cinammon bread. Just incredible.

What makes the Carriage House even more wonderful, though, is that Paula and Tim seem to be born innkeepers - a rare and special skill. Conversation flows naturally, and the two are incredibly helpful to all their guests - advising first-time visitors on where to go in Chatham and on the Cape, making dinner reservations (and believe me - listen to their recommendations - they really know what they're talking about!), knowing (seemingly instinctively) when to offer their guidance and when to simply leave guests to their own devices. They even provided my husband and me with a small refrigerator in our room (which we needed to keep some medicine cold) and waived the nominal rental fee because it was for medical reasons (although I must confess that we kept some beer and wine in there along with the medicine!)

Just a few more examples of how the Carriage House is "better than home" - the fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies in the common area each day, the extensive library of DVDs for guests to enjoy, the guest fridge with its endless supply of cold waters and sodas, the readily available ice-maker and wine/cordial/beer glasses, the simple yet beautiful decor (and not a ruffle in sight - this is definitely not your typical B & B!)

All in all, we could not have been happier with our choice of the Carriage House Inn. I used to be a meeting planner, so I'm pretty picky about things - and I was bowled over. (I also have family in Chatham and have been going for over 15 years, so I've experienced a few other inns up there). Bottom line: if you're considering a stay in Chatham, I can't imagine any place better.

• Liked — Innkeepers Paula and Tim; breakfasts; common area
  • Disliked — Having to leave!
pennsylvania
Reviewed May 20, 2008

the carriage house inn was a great experience for our 25th wedding anniversary,this was our first experience at a bed and breakfast and the room was beautiful,clean,cozy,absolutly
perfect.tim and paula were very helpful with everything.we would visit every year if we would not be 8 hours away,hope to return again someday and will highly recomend to friends and family.
THANKYOU FOR A WONDERFUL 25TH ANNIVERSARY
KEVIN AND DEB

• Liked — room,innkeepers,location
  • Disliked — liked everything
Chicago
Reviewed May 17, 2008

I picked this b&b becuase it was #1 rated on Tripadvisor. I am glad I trusted you guys becuase our stay could only have been better if we had more than one sunny day. I guess early may comes with the risk of clouds and no reson for swim suits.
We booked with ease on their website. We had immediate confirmation AND a list of recommended restaurants with personal reviews and offer to make reservations for us. SOOOO great! I picked one for our first night and it was as great as they said.
We stayed in room #5, which has it's own private entrance. Not the greatest view from the back window, but its own fireplace. You have not lived until you've cosied up to your sweetheart in bed at this B&B with a fire going. (Warning, I will probably ramble, but I am trying to fit all of my glowing review in). We arrived and Paula gave us the full orientation of the place and our room. They had a small fridge with refreshments in the main house (free for those of us used to avoiding hotel minibars like the plague), fruits, snacks and homemade brownies (Gratis!). They have a library of information on chatham and cape cod in the main house for help in planning your activities and Then she showed us our room which was just lovely. They have HD flatscreen TV's in the room and TONS of DVD's in the main house for you to borrow. (recent releases and everything)...this came in handy on the cold nights.
The breakfasts we enjoyed were phenomenal! So creative and yummy. Every morning they would ask about our previous day and what we had planned for the day and offered suggestions and offered to call to make sure the activities were not cancelled. They made sure everyone at the hotel was happy and had plans for the day. Unbelievable service. I would definitely recommend this to my friends. Perfection. The only problem is I had a new standard to which I applied to my boston hotel that I stayed in after.... there is no comparison. ;-(

• Liked — Paula and Tim (Owners)
  • Disliked — If you MUST squeeze a negative out...not a great view from window, cold bathroom floor.
cornwall
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We tried booking the Carriage House Inn on the 22nd April, filled in the online form but heard nothing back.
Emailed them on the 25th and the 26th asking about the booking but still heard nothing back.
I work away from home so my email on the 26th was that I'd contact them on my return about the booking.
Whilst I was away we received an email on the 27th April asking us if we'd received the confirmation they'd sent us (when?).
On my return I replied saying we hadn't and that, whilst I was away, my wife had booked elsewhere (as she was worried that we were leaving it a bit late).
That cost me $20 as an "administration fee"!
I'm sure all the other reviews below are correct about how nice this b&b is once you get there and to be fair to them it does say on the website that a cancellation will cost you $20.
It did irritate me though... we heard nothing from them and then, when I said we'd booked elsewhere they said I ought to check my email as they had replied three times!
That irritated me further, my email account is working fine.
If you don't receive an email that generally means it hasn't been sent...
I know, I know... it's only $20 but it annoyed me!

Stayed May 2008
chiinfo, owner of the Inn at Carriage House Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2008
Please Note: The above reviewer has NEVER stayed at or experienced our Inn.

As owners of the Carriage House we received an online request from this guest on April 22nd to reserve 4 nights in August of 2008. We immediately sent an e-mail confirmation to this guest as we were happy to reserve a room for them. We always process reservations and send confirmations within hours of receiving any online requests.

On April 26, we received an e-mail from this guest stating that they never received a confirmation from the Inn. On April 26 I resent the confirmation again, and the next day April 27, I sent a follow up e-mail asking if the guest received the confirmation. In that April 27 e-mail (which the guest confirms in their review that they received) I asked if they received our second confirmation and reconfirmed their reservation of August 20-24, 2008 and if they were all set to come here. Also, I mentioned that sometimes our confirmations end up in junk e-mail and to search for the confirmation in junk mail. It was not until May 9th (a full 12 days later) that I got a response back from the guest that was attached to my e-mail of April 27, informing us they have never heard of junk mail and to cancel their reservation, & that his wife had already booked another place to stay. It is clear that the reviewer did receive our April 27 e-mail confirmation, so we are confused by their statement that they never heard from us. It seems as though they were simply upset because of the $20 cancellation fee, even though the reviewer admits he was aware about the policies at our Inn when he made a reservation. Inns charge cancellation fees because the banks charge us 2-4% of the deposit to take credit card charges.

We are sorry that this reviewer has cancelled their stay with us for August 2008, and we have credited the reviewer his $20 processing fee as a gesture of good will.
Lancashire, England
Reviewed May 11, 2008

We had a lovely 2 night stay at the Carriage House which was the perfect antidote to our busy visit to New York. The Inn is beautiful and was full of little touches such as complimentary soft drinks & home made goodies and a sound machine in the bedroom providing relaxing ocean sounds.

The hosts Paula and Tim are extremely friendly, they recommended and booked two excellent restaurants on our behalf and, best of all, encouraged us to take a whale watching trip which turned out to be the highlight of our whole stay.

If you are looking for quality accomodation with good amenities and great breakfast in a central Cape Cod location, look no further than here.

• Liked — Spacious well equipped rooms & friendly hosts
  • Disliked — N/A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 19, 2008

We loved the Carriage House Inn. Its location is excellent. The inn itself is charming. The property is beautifully maintained, and you can tell that the owners take pride in providing outstanding service to their guests. They are knowledgeable and helpful.

Paula and Tim, the owners, made us feel like treasured guests. Tim is a wonderful chef, and the breakfasts were delicious. (My husband still talks about the lemon pancakes we had on our first morning.) There is bottled water available for guests as well as fresh fruit, cereal bars, bags of chips and things, and soda. The weather was cold in early April, and hot cider and freshly made chocolate chip cookies welcomed us back in the late afternoon from our busy days of sightseeing.
T
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Pleasant Bay Village