“Surprised to find Meneely Bells made in my home town” 5 of 5 bubbles

Atwood House Museum
Ranked #11 of 48 things to do in Chatham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Step Back to Cape Cod of centuries past. Your journey begins with a tour of the historical dwelling built circa 1752 by Chatham sea captain Joseph Atwood, and occupied by his descendants for some five generations. Discover Cape Cod's captivating history, art, and culture at the Chatham Historical Society's expanded and upgraded Atwood House House Museum. In addition to the 18th century Atwood House at its core, Museum highlights include: The Joseph A. Nickerson, Jr. Portrait Gallery of Chatham-born local sea captains, painted by Frederick Wright. The Mural Barn, housing the nationally-renowned paintings of local residents by Alice Stallknecht Wright. The Fishing Gallery, dedicated to the history, personalities, and various techniques of Chatham's commercial fishing industry - the first of its kind. Special and multi-media exhibits on regional history, art, and culture. The Historic Tools and Industry Room, including a scale model of Chatham salt works, once a thriving Cape Cod industry in the early 1800's. The recently redecorated Durand Gallery, featuring the collections of the Durand family -- Sandwich threaded glass; Parian Ware; a prized collection of carved birds by A.E. Crowell; and seashells from around the world. The Joseph C. Lincoln Gallery containing manuscripts, first editions, illustrations and ephemera related to the Cape Cod author. The collection of the Chatham Historical Society includes approximately 3000 objects (paintings, decorative arts, maritime artifacts, etc.)--mainly American-made and mostly Chatham related. In addition, our archives contain about 2500 photographs, over 1600 books, and several thousand documents relating to the history of Chatham. These items have been (or are being) cataloged and are available to researchers either by visiting the Society or on the Internet.
Watervliet, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Surprised to find Meneely Bells made in my home town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I researched new places to visit for this trip to Cape Cod. I came to Atwood house to see the old twin tower to Chatam Light. Nice little display of the lantern room outside. What I was surprised to find was a display of Meneely Bells that were made in my home town long ago. My dad is the president of the historical society here in Watervliet (formerly West Troy NY) so I've heard a lot about these bells from him. The museum was closed but I was able to talk to someone from the museum anyway. They were very friendly and helpful and sent me photos of the bell tower that used to house the Meneely bells they have on display. I took a few photos of the bells with my Ipad and several with my camera. I called my dad and emailed him photos from my ipad while I was away. I've been trying to get my mom and dad to take a trip to Cape Cod for years. I think your Meneely bell display will finally get them to go! Thanks so much for the help and emails! I will have to come back next time to tour the museum when you are open for business!

Visited October 2012
4 Thank ShineRM87

Providence, Rhode Island
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“A most fascinating historic house museum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the history of the house, the furnishings, art and artifacts, plus the knowledgeable and very interesting guides made it all come to life. Also there were attached gallery rooms filled with local items of interest relating to the fishing industry, ships and the arts. And the rescued and preserved fishing shack on the grounds was unique and fascinating. We were so glad to have discovered this house museum gem and the gift shop had many wonderful books and related treasures. It was a fun and history filled experience!

Visited August 2012
4 Thank The4Hobbs
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quaint museum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

This was a really quaint museum. My family and I especially enjoyed the tour of the "old house". So many interesting things to see.

4 Thank Narrucmot
Nashua, New Hampshire
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“guides were very personable and knowledgable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

great example of a 1600's cape cod home showing changes over time. There were also other exhibits included as this is the home of the Chatham historical society so it is more than an old house tour.

Visited July 2012
4 Thank roadrunner000
North of Boston, MA USA
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“A great take! Definitely worth your time.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Set along a quiet street, you have to know where the Atwood House is. Not on Chatham's main drag, it is absolutely worth a visit! Even if it's not open when you get there, the small outside exhibits are worth looking at and the flower gardens are lovely. Visit the house and step back in time to "Old Cape Cod." Rotating exhibits in the nearby barn are always worth checking out.

Visited June 2012