“Worst Place on The Cape”

Bistro on Main and Chatham Raw Bar
Ranked #12 of 76 Restaurants in Chatham
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Bistro on Main and Chatham Raw Bar is the latest incarnation of local restaurateur, Steve Vining, located in the heart of Chatham’s Main Street. Since 1991, we continue to bring together fresh food, fine wine, and good friends. We pride ourselves on using locally sourced ingredients to create delicious meals from coastal cuisines to Mediterranean dishes, as well as vegetarian and gluten-free options. Whether you choose to sit in our dining room, outdoor patio, or nautical-inspired Raw Bar, we offer a quality selection of premium spirits, wines, beers and local food prepared and beautifully presented by our friendly, veteran staff in a relaxed and intimate setting. Executive Chef, Timothy O'Brien, invites you to taste his eclectic menu with influences from around the globe.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After 144 restaurants reviewed on yelp (very few negative ones) I have finally found the top rated "avoid at all establishment" This one take the top prize...hostess had a ego so big that it is surprising she can fit her head thru the door way.

So we are exploring the quiet town of Chatham looking a place for dinner for my wife, 2 year old son and myself. Side note: We live in Charleston SC and have had no trouble taking our son to places like Halls, Grill 225, Magnolias, SNOB etc. (10 times the reputation, environment and quality places than the one being reviewed)

We roll up to their front door area and look over the menu and see many options on their kids menu...place looks dead so we figure it's a perfect spot for the three of us. We take our son out of his stroller and open the door to the warm greeting of "ya we don't have high chairs" my wife and I were both confused as we didn't ask for one...the hostess keeps her cold poker face strong and just slightly shakes her side side to side non verbally saying "get lost people" We were completley shocked that she was so openly wanting to send us packing.

You are seating people at at a resturant in Chatham not the Le Bernardin in NYC. It was 5pm in the off season...the place was empty...like not even a single paying customer empty. I lead a small business of 19 locations and as much as I hate receiving negative reviews they are often the awakening to understanding changes needed to be made...those being either eliminate kids menu or the hostess.

Date of visit: September 2019
BistroOnMain593, Manager at Bistro on Main and Chatham Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Sorry you had such a terrible experience. It tough to go from a busy high end Bistro to a Restaurant serving 100s of hungry families on vacation searching for Grilled Cheese, plain pasta, chicken fingers and burgers. We are happy to serve all and try our best to deliver a quality product and experience.
I am the chef and personally apologize for your bad experience and recommend that you stick to those place with "ten times the reputation" where you will be happy. Thanks

Write a reviewReviews (259)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We ate here for our first night in Chatham. There were plenty of GF options, and the bunless lobster roll was excellent! I also started with the clams which were delicious. The service was great. I would return here without hesitation.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We dropped in here late Sunday afternoon and sat at the Raw Bar.
Half price oysters to start following by some lovely mains.
Great beer and cocktail choices.
Sally behind the bar was a star. Obviously very good at her job but more importantly so interesting and friendly. A delightful lady who made the evening.

Reviewed September 3, 2019

My family and I had a lovely brunch sitting along Main Street in this charming town. From the tuna to the chicken salad everything was delicious. Enjoy!

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed August 31, 2019

Great setting in Chatham, Ma. Cozy, comfy, excellent service. The food is delicious. Tasty and well presented. We sat outside on a beautiful day. Inside is roomy and well decorated. easy parking in rear of building.

Date of visit: August 2019