“Grill Bar Nun”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Red Nun is a small lively bar & grill located on main street in the centre of Chatham. The bar has a great atmosphere and the restaurant specialises in fresh fish cuisine providing all the favourite dishes as seafood mains, appetizers, soups and salads for either eat-in or take-out dining. The portions are generous and the prices are very reasonable and really good value. There is an additional seating area just outside for warmer evenings and there is ample car parking. Worth a visit.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We went to this because we wanted a simple, inexpensive meal. The atmosphere wasn't good, nor was the food or the service. I have special dietary needs - too bad if you go here, they will certainly omit the bun but are unable to make substitutions worth much of anything. I am also dairy free and my substitution, asparagus, was served with butter. When I pointed it out, the butter laden asparagus was left on the plate and about 10 minutes later a side of asparagus was served.

My bun less burger (which was I asked for) was supposed to be cooked medium, it was well, very well. There are only a few tables in the bar, you can eat outside if you don't want the bar atmosphere, which was very loud.

Overall, okay, but not worth going back, ever.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We ate here on our first night in Chatham. The barman was great, a relative of the owner, very friendly and great service. The menu was small but quite varied with daily specials, I had scallops on wine wine, my husband had fresh local fish and chips - both were delicious and reasonably priced -around $14 each. You got a complimentary sample starter, we both had Wedding soup which was also delicious. If you're looking for a casual evening out with good food and service this place is a must

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stopped the 2nd day of our holiday for a quick lunch. The place isn't very big, although there were a few tables free outside. In the heat, we preferred staying in and we took the last table. It's a typical pub, with typical pub food, but very high quality. We had the burgers and fries and they were cooked medium, as requested. Service was ok.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We stopped on our way through Chatham for a quick lunch. It is very small but the food was pretty good and the beer was cold! Definitely fair priced and I saw them scrubbing the kitchen which is always good! The only complaint I have is the waitress/hostess was acting very strange and she was kind of rude!