“A local place”

Dining options: Late Night
Boston, Massachusetts
“A local place”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a small place that I have been wanting to try for a while. I didn't want to do it in season because it gets really crowded and the wait is longer than I believe anyone should wait for any restaurant. We decided to go when we were in town in January and we were encouraged by some local friends to go.

First, I noticed someone called this a dive type bar, if you think this is a dive, you have never been in a dive bar. It is small and casual, it is well lit and clean. The bathrooms don't make you hold your breath and not sit. There aren't sketchy people sitting the corner watching you the non-regular walk in. It is not a dive bar.

It is nothing fancy, it is a bit more than a bar. It is a place that has a lot of locals, don't know why that is a bad thing to some people. I also was not treated any differently because I was not a local. Sometimes I think people who complain about being treated differently because they weren't locals give off some attitude and no one wants to deal with attitude. I know this happens in Chatham a lot because it is a pricey place to stay and some visitors throw their money around and forget their manners.

As for food, the burgers are great. They do something with seasoning to their ground beef and it is served on an English muffin. The seasoning of hand made patties make this burger different than most. The chowder is very good, and I consider myself something of a chowder snob. My husband had the corn chowder and said that was very good too.

As noted, they have a good beer selection. I think this would be a great place to watch a game with numerous flat screens. I could sit at the bar watching an afternoon Sox game and be very content.

I am giving it an excellent rating based upon what it is. It isn't the Chatham Bars Inn and I am not comparing it to that. I am comparing it to another bar that serves food. Go, relax in a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt, sometimes you need a day like that.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Narnce

Duxbury, MA
“Where the locals go”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Small, cozy bar & tavern with an elegant bar menu. Great beers on tap and a lots of folks hanging out at the tiny bar area. A few tables & booths for those who came in for a bite & their famous burgers. Nice Boston sports memorabilia on the wall.

Visited January 2013
Norwalk, Connecticut
“The best friend lobster! Good for family or a night out for a drink later in the evening.”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Very casual and fun. You'll probably get to meet the owner, Mike G. who is a great guy and his staff is fantastic. Great place for family dining and then drop the kids off and go for a drink at night to wind down! Order the fried lobster nuggets. We ended up ordering more because they were so good!!!

Visited September 2012
North of Boston, MA USA
“Excellent burgers!”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Red Nun was recommended to us by the staff at the Captain's House Inn as the place for the "best burgers in Chatham." We were skeptical, but they were right! At least we think so. Our burgers were delicious, plump, and juicy! Cooked exactly like we asked, with toppings of our choice. Great fries, too. It's a small dining room, so go there early or be prepared to wait. Service was pleasant and the prices were reasonable.

Visited November 2012
North Providence, Rhode Island
“average food”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Good place for a quick average meal. Small, around 6 tables and a bar. Very casual. I wouldn't choose this place for an anniversary lunch or anything special. Food came out quick, the nacho appetizer was good.

Visited October 2012