“Unique and lovable”

Pleasant Bay Village
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 3, 2007

When I arrived at Pleasant Bay Village, I had no idea that it was such special and truly unique property. I was greeted by the lovable staff such as Bear (the black Newfoundland Dog) as well as the family who runs the resort. My family was ecstatic apon arrival and even though we are on Nantucket for the next week, the kids won't stop asking whether we can leave Nantucket a day early and spend that last day at the Village instead. The diverse landscaping and sculptures cover the grounds so perfectly, it's just a really fun place. We may need to plan another trip this fall: I bet the colors of the japanese maple trees will be gorgeous!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank HK2003

Reviewed August 19, 2007

My husband and I are rcently back home from 4 nights at Plesant Bay village. We stayed in an efficiency unit and found the room, kitchenette and bath very nice. The grounds are kept immaculately and the interesting plantings, well-kept pond and waterfall all add to the relaxing experience. We would plan another stay at PBV when we return to the Cape.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank DebbyDuck1
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Wow. This place is charming, classic, quiet, friendly and beautiful. Stayed in a "deluxe" room but it was beyond expectation. For starters there was a willow tree (among other foliage) right outside our door and the lovely branches framed the doorway. The buildings are all classic weathered cedar shake with pitched roofs and colonial windows. Our room had a comfortable seating area, beautiful new bath, lovely furnishings and best of all a very large deck (with first class comfortable chairs, i.e. not plastic Wal-Mart chairs) overlooking beautiful garden. The important point is that every room has privacy, gorgeous views and a sense of being in someone's home.
The AC worked wonderfully, the water pressure was great and the amenities were four star, i.e. even had a decorator container with Q-tip swabs and cotton balls. Of course there was ironing board and iron, hairdryer, BIG towels and, best of all, a comfy bed.
We were told the owner's hobby is gardening and that is reflected everywhere you look. The grounds are lush, spacious and filled with subtle fountains, local statuary, paths and gorgeous plantings.
If there is any drawback it is that they do not serve breakfast until 8am. We are early risers, and encountered other guests anxiously awaiting service in the morning. Breakfast is bountiful, delicious and served in the spacious and attractive "morning room." We didn't go to the pool, or get in the hot tub... but will next time- as there certainly will be a next time.
They are beautifully situated about half-way between Chatham and Orleans, and less than a half a mile to the Pleasant Bay beach. This place is a gem.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NYCityTraveler
Reviewed August 4, 2007

This place is beautiful. We were in a rear efficiency (In July 2007) with 2 double beds equipped with a very nice kitchen and an outdoor deck area. I really can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. Our room (I can’t talk about other room types, this is in general for rear effecencies) was comparable to a Hilton or Marriott room NOT like a motel room in any stretch. It was absolutely spotless. Cleaning crew does an amazing job. Not a spec of dirt. All furniture looked like it was just purchased. The kitchen had a very nice countertop, hot plate and top of the line dishwasher and microwave/convection oven and looked like as well as if it was put in just recently. The grounds are magnificent. Beautiful waterfalls and elaborate gardening throughout. They must have put in millions of dollars into just the gardens. Outdoor deck was right outside a beautiful waterfall with any flower you could think of surrounding it. We were quite surprised in the quality of the outdoor furniture and its quantity. We had our own private table with umbrella, 6 chairs and 2 beach chairs. Pool as well was really really nice. Front desk staff always very helpful and the office-frontdesk-resteraunt area were nicely appointed. WIFI internet access is throughout the property and accessible with fairly high access speeds in our room. Sadly the WIFI was down for some time during our stay. I can’t say they have the most reliable internet router as the connection dropped several times. However, it was usable and they did have Comcast out at the property many times to try to repair it. We were in such a shock in how nice this place was. You cant really beat it for the price. If its not for pleasant bay you will end up paying $200 a night for a dumpy motel or end up paying $700 a night for a 4 star hotel. To summarize – if you reserve the right room, you will be nicely surprised and will enjoy a wonderful vacation at pleasant bay villlge.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank s884
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I was very pleased with this place. We had a room with 2 queen beds and an outdoor deck which was nicely appointed with modern clean sling deck furniture overlooking a beautiful oriental rock garden, soothing sound and sight of a pond. It had a nice high asian style wall separating it from the next room's deck. I found the deck and grounds to be a destination in itself. The deck was great to contemplate the gardens, let the kids nap/sleep, or have dinner on. The grounds as previously cited are gorgeous, and create an oasis type feeling, screening parts of the complex from each other. There is a great Rainbow Playsystems playground area for the kids (I wish it had a little much under it for safety), new and well maintained. All over the grounds are plenty of tables, chairs and umbrellas, grills, well placed so the guests are not in each others faces. Kids loved following the paths all around.
Rooms were very clean, carpet in the room was new and bathroom had been updated with new limeston tile and countertops. Housekeeping was very good, went the extra mile with tidying up, always had new towels, and chocolate on the pillows at night with turn down service was nice. Good quality soap, shampoo, etc. Decor was fine, a collection of older pictures with nice odds and ends that had personality (i.e.a sandpiper, a lovely cobalt blue glass bowl). It lent personality to the room, although perhaps not decorator perfect. But I find cookie cutter chain hotel decor boring.

The pool area was lovely, waterfall cascading down into the pool, also well landscaped, with a cabana for drinks and light fare. We used it at night, well lite and there was a hot tub too. Very serene, and prettier than the oceanside pool at the Wequassett down the road (though no life guard).

I wish there was a pedestrian path leading to the registration area, you had to be careful with the narrow entry way and for some reason there were tons of older careless drivers when we were there, but it was a short way.

All the people I enountered at the desk were helpful and truly seemed to enjoy helping you find whatever you were looking for. They also cheerfully delt with a few cranky types with unflappable kindness.

A nice stay - the only thing that would improve this property would be a waterfront site and direct beach access, but I don't generally seek those sites because of price and then the kids want to be on the beach all the time. The Cape in general required a lot more driving than I anticipated. I found downtown Chatham to be a hassle with pedestrians jaywalking all over the place, but it was charming New England.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 24, 2007

I never write review of hotels so this is a first. I was so pleased with our stay last weekend. We were right down the road from Wequasset Inn (my cousin's wedding was being held there) and it was very close (a short drive) into town.

From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel welcome and continued to go out of their way all weekend. The rooms were averagely appointed (think motel) but they were cleaner than ANY other hotel I have stayed in, including the 4-5 stars. I am a stickler for a clean bathroom and they even got the corners!

The grounds were gorgeous! The pool was perfect and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2007

We stayed at Pleasant Bay this month after my cousin raved about it. He was on the mark, it is a perfect place to get away and relax.
Coming from New York, to see grounds so beautiful and lush like a postcard was itself a vacation. I loved just walking around, that in itself was relaxing.
The breakfast was fantastic, those blueberry pancakes were amazing. The cook is a master with these.
The cottages have a "laze around" feel, which I want on vacation. The pool was heated, which worked out well since it was still cold. The groundskeeper is certainly busy.
The staff couldn't have friendlier, so homey, I felt like family. If you have any questions, ask the bald headed guy, he took a lot of time answering every question and he's always there, a very nice, efficient guy. The others were friendly.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WallStreet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
Bayside Resort Hotel
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Pleasant Bay Village? Share your experiences!