“Nice place to relax and enjoy nature”

Pleasant Bay Village
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Nice place to relax and enjoy nature”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2007

I was very pleased with this place. We had a room with 2 queen beds and an outdoor deck which was nicely appointed with modern clean sling deck furniture overlooking a beautiful oriental rock garden, soothing sound and sight of a pond. It had a nice high asian style wall separating it from the next room's deck. I found the deck and grounds to be a destination in itself. The deck was great to contemplate the gardens, let the kids nap/sleep, or have dinner on. The grounds as previously cited are gorgeous, and create an oasis type feeling, screening parts of the complex from each other. There is a great Rainbow Playsystems playground area for the kids (I wish it had a little much under it for safety), new and well maintained. All over the grounds are plenty of tables, chairs and umbrellas, grills, well placed so the guests are not in each others faces. Kids loved following the paths all around.
Rooms were very clean, carpet in the room was new and bathroom had been updated with new limeston tile and countertops. Housekeeping was very good, went the extra mile with tidying up, always had new towels, and chocolate on the pillows at night with turn down service was nice. Good quality soap, shampoo, etc. Decor was fine, a collection of older pictures with nice odds and ends that had personality (i.e.a sandpiper, a lovely cobalt blue glass bowl). It lent personality to the room, although perhaps not decorator perfect. But I find cookie cutter chain hotel decor boring.

The pool area was lovely, waterfall cascading down into the pool, also well landscaped, with a cabana for drinks and light fare. We used it at night, well lite and there was a hot tub too. Very serene, and prettier than the oceanside pool at the Wequassett down the road (though no life guard).

I wish there was a pedestrian path leading to the registration area, you had to be careful with the narrow entry way and for some reason there were tons of older careless drivers when we were there, but it was a short way.

All the people I enountered at the desk were helpful and truly seemed to enjoy helping you find whatever you were looking for. They also cheerfully delt with a few cranky types with unflappable kindness.

A nice stay - the only thing that would improve this property would be a waterfront site and direct beach access, but I don't generally seek those sites because of price and then the kids want to be on the beach all the time. The Cape in general required a lot more driving than I anticipated. I found downtown Chatham to be a hassle with pedestrians jaywalking all over the place, but it was charming New England.

• Liked — Gardens, service
  • Disliked — Tight entry way for 2 way traffic, no pedestrian only path
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

I never write review of hotels so this is a first. I was so pleased with our stay last weekend. We were right down the road from Wequasset Inn (my cousin's wedding was being held there) and it was very close (a short drive) into town.

From the moment we arrived, the staff made us feel welcome and continued to go out of their way all weekend. The rooms were averagely appointed (think motel) but they were cleaner than ANY other hotel I have stayed in, including the 4-5 stars. I am a stickler for a clean bathroom and they even got the corners!

The grounds were gorgeous! The pool was perfect and we would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The beautiful gardens
  • Disliked — The mattresses were a little older
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2007

We stayed at Pleasant Bay this month after my cousin raved about it. He was on the mark, it is a perfect place to get away and relax.
Coming from New York, to see grounds so beautiful and lush like a postcard was itself a vacation. I loved just walking around, that in itself was relaxing.
The breakfast was fantastic, those blueberry pancakes were amazing. The cook is a master with these.
The cottages have a "laze around" feel, which I want on vacation. The pool was heated, which worked out well since it was still cold. The groundskeeper is certainly busy.
The staff couldn't have friendlier, so homey, I felt like family. If you have any questions, ask the bald headed guy, he took a lot of time answering every question and he's always there, a very nice, efficient guy. The others were friendly.

• Liked — Frienly feel, relaxing, beautiful
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank WallStreet
New York,NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2007

My room was clean and comfortable. I would classify Pleasant Bay Village as an above average motel (but most definitely not a resort) and good value for the money. My room was basic, but very clean and comfortable. There are no ocean views anywhere on the property, so don't book expecting one.

To say that Pleasant Bay Village is within walking distance of the beach is a little bit of a stretch. You'll want to plan on driving to the beach (though the Chatham light beach is nice and a quick drive).

I'd say that Pleasant Bay Village is a good loation from which to explore the cape. However, I wouldn't characterize it as a place where one would want to just sit around at to relax. The accomodations are a little spartan for that and the grounds are not so special that I was tempted to spend any time here.

• Liked — Inexpensive, centrally located for easy access to the rest of the cape
  • Disliked — Basically a nice quality hotel - not a resort and not a destination in and of itself.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
5 Thank justinkim
Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2006

We stayed in the cheapest room offered by the Pleasant Bay Village (about $125/night) because we found that lodging was very expensive in Cape Cod, which is to be expected. We hadn't noticed on our receipt (which was e-mailed after we reserved) that it was a double-bed room. I looked at the recipt later and it DID say double-bed room - I should have read it more closely, but I guess I had never stayed in a hotel that had double beds, so I hadn't expected to discover one in our room.

My fiancee is a big guy, so sleeping in that little bed was a challenge. The motel owners offered us an upgrade at a discounted charge, but we opted to stick with the small bed in order to save money. All in all, the room was quite nice, but a bit crowded with a bed, nightstands, a nice little refrigerator, table and chairs, desk and TV. The bathroom was HUGE and the shower was great. If you're traveling alone OR you want to save money and being cramped doesn't bother you, book the cheapest room. Otherwise, upgrade. We walked by some of the nicer rooms, which had lovely decks and appeared to be spacious.

As other reviewers have noted, the best thing about this hotel is the grounds, which are meticulously landscaped. The gardens are beautiful and a great place to relax with a book. Though we didn't use them, the pool and hot tub also looked nice.

The lobby was cute, with a good selection of newspapers and coffee in the morning. We didn't eat at the motel, but the dining area appeared to be quaint.

I will also note that the motel was very clean. The housekeeping staff did a nice job in our room every day (we were there 3 nights), even hanging any clothing we left out in the closet.

All in all, we enjoyed the Pleasant Bay Village. The room was small, but when you're in Cape Cod, you shouldn't be in the room that often, anyway!

• Liked — gardens, grounds
  • Disliked — small bed
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank abm256
New York, NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2006

Awful people run this place. They were dishonest in their business practices, requiring a three night minimum of some guests and not others. I confronted them about it more than once, and they continued to come up with weak excuses that made no sense. I feel taken advantage of in every way. They also were incredibly rude and all too happy to say that they couldn't be of help when asked a question.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The management
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank maudeinc
Berkshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at pleasant bay village with our kids 6 and 4 and really enjoyed ourselves. The location close to both Chatham and Orleans makes the whole Cape easily accesible.
The accomomdation is not Ritz Carlton but is at the upper end of what you would expect for this type of better quality motel resort. We stayed in an efficiency with large bedroom, small kitchen/breakfast room and bathroom. There was also a small deck. It was clean, well maintained and the maid service was good.
The kids loved the warm pool and the breakfasts were great and lunches fine for simple food.
The real plus of this place is the welcome and the help the staff will give you. It's family run and it shows, the main 4/5 people that front it care about whether you have a good time or not.
We will go back which is the real test of any holiday venue!

• Liked — Friendly family environment
  • Disliked — Lack of beach access
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank oliver63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Anchor In Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,197 reviews
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to Pleasant Bay Village? Share your experiences!