“Great Expectations led to a big disappointment”
Review of Hawthorne Motel

Hawthorne Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed October 13, 2011

After reading the great reviews on Tripadvisor my wife and I were excited that we were able to get an ocean view room on short notice. We were able to get room number 131 for three nights. We have come to realize that it was a mistake to stay in that room.
We should have realized that there was a problem when we checked in and there was a dehumidifier running in the room. That night my wife had a problem breathing and didn't sleep well. She has had trouble breathing a few other times when she has stayed where there is mold and/or mildew.
In the morning I told the owner, Gil, that we couldn't stay the other two nights because there was apparently a mold and/or mildew problem in the room. He said there was no problem with us leaving and put the remaining two nights charges back on our credit card.
I did look at one of the non-ocean view rooms in the front of the motel. It looked more recently updated than room 131, but we chose not to stay partly because we had had such a bad experience with the other room. Our expectations had taken a nosedive.
In spite of the room, we did appreciate and enoy the location of the Hawthorne, one of the best in Chatham, the view is spectacular, the beach is very nice and it is only about 1/2 mile, within walking distance to many of the shops and restaurants in Chatham. We did have a good time there but the room put a damper on things. Pun intended!
If we hadn't had the problem with the room, I probably would have given the Hawthorne an excellent rating.
If we were sure we could get a mold/mildew free room we might even go back there again.

7  Thank PapaBarry

Reviewed October 5, 2011

I am a flight attendant with a major airlines and my dream has always been to visit Cape Cod and the Islands. I had a couple of days off and just wanted to "get away". The graciousness of Mr. Gil and Ms. Ellie made this possible for me. The staff displayed excellent customer service by satisfying my every need or want. There were flawless directions from the Boston Logan airport, the towns and shops nearby by car. My room was very clean and afforded me tranquility. The view of the ocean was outside of my window. To my surprise, the previous Sunday, I was watching on tv, CBS' "Sunday Morning". At the end of the show, viewers could see coverage of the sunrise on Cape Cod. Outside of my room, #118, I witnessed the sunrise on the beach which was simply spectacular and sensational, a memory I'll have with me for some time. Sharon J. Epps, Atlanta, GA

Room Tip: A room with the view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed two nights at the Hawthorne and absolutely loved it!! The hotel is on the beach, the rooms are very clean, charming, and comfortable, Gil and his employees are friendly and very accommodating, and it is a five minute walk to town for dinner and drinks! If requested, and on other occasions, Gil arranges to have a fire built on the beach. You can sit around the fire and star gaze or roast marshmallows, which are furnished for guests. In the morning, coffee and fruit are provided. My husband awoke early the first morning and saw a spectacular sunrise and convinced the rest of us to get up early the next day, too, an experience I will not soon forget (being from Colorado). We loved the Hawthorne and Chatham so much, we stayed an extra day; we were upgraded to a room with views of the ocean from every window for the same price. We are definitely returning to the Hawthorne, and hope that we can arrange this soon!!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms if you can afford; otherwise, stay on the other side and walk around to the back, e...
1  Thank Katrina G
Reviewed October 3, 2011

Great view, great service, great hosts, great staff, lovely rooms, great location.
See my video of my room and the view at http://youtu.be/-wE_swiz2WI

Room Tip: Room 110 if ever available (everyone keeps it from year to year- I'm a newbie, only 6 years in a...
Reviewed October 2, 2011

This hotel offers WONDERFUL beach location, close to town and shops, clean and friendly!!!! What's not to love???? Will return!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 1, 2011

We turned up at the Hawthorne just by passing. The Visitor Info Centre as we entered Cape Cod had pointed out Chatham as a pretty destination. We were in the off season and were taking our road trip one day at a time. We checked at reception to see if they had an ocean view room. They did, and showed us the room which they were prepared to offer at a slightly reduced rate for the late booking. As soon as we saw the room we knew we would stay. Our first impression was that everything was perfect, and that impression was only ever reinforced during our one evening/night stay. The attention to detail at the Hawthorne is exceptional for a motel. There are so many things I could list that impressed us, but I will keep the review brief and just say that I would be surprised if anyone could find a reasonable complaint here.

Reviewed October 1, 2011

My husband and I were guests at The Hawthorne in Chatham Mass in September. We were attending a wedding at the Chatham Bars Inn. The Hawthorne abuts the property and actually overlooks the beach club where the wedding was held. The rooms were charming, clean and efficient. We enjoyed having our morning coffee overlooking the beach, boats and islands.

Room Tip: The Deluxe King w kitchenettes on the hill were lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
The Chatham Motel
The Chatham Motel
#3 of 9 in Chatham
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Hawthorne Motel? Share your experiences!