“Best in the Business”

Maps of Antiquity
Ranked #1 of 25 Shopping in Chatham
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Set in an old Chatham farmhouse built in the late 1700s, Maps of Antiquity offers over 15,000 antique maps and prints. The distribution is worldwide with a focus on the Northeast. Our inventory includes early American maps from the late 1700's, nautical charts, town maps, hand-colored 19th century country and state maps, reproductions, natural history and historical prints. Additional services include: framing, appraisals, restoration, conservation, lectures & seminars, buying, selling, & map finding.
Reviewed May 18, 2018

I've made several map orders on-line and have experienced excellent service, quick responses, and the maps I ordered have been exactly as described. Perri has made sure I've been promptly updated on the status of my orders, and one of the reasons Maps of Antiquity will continue to be a special contributor to my collection.

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank Sunriver1
ChathamMass, Manager at Maps of Antiquity, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2018

We're so pleased that your experiences with us have been so positive! Perri is a treasure, isn't she? We'll pass along your compliments. It is an honor to be held in high esteem by serious collectors, and we thank you for taking the time to give feedback. If you're ever seeking a special map that is not on our website, do drop us a line so that we can be on the lookout for it. And should you ever find yourself in Chatham, stop in and say hello. There's nothing quite like seeing these unique pieces in person. Thanks again!

All reviews
"packaging"
in 4 reviews
"hometown"

Reviewed April 12, 2018

I discovered this business online and inquired about antique nautical charts. I got quick responses and photos, followed up with a phone call and made a purchase. The chart arrived and it is a beautiful authentic working chart from the 1800's. I absolutely recommend Maps of Antiquity. Working with Perri was a pleasure.
Valerie Head
Fairhope, Alabama

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank vhead2003
ChathamMass, Front Office Manager at Maps of Antiquity, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2018

Thank you very much for your business and your kind review. We are so happy that you had a pleasant experience with us and that you like the chart! It was a pleasure talking to you and helping you find just the right chart. If you need any antique maps or charts in the future, we would love to help you! Thank you again!
-Perri

Reviewed December 30, 2017

I ordered a map maybe a week before Christmas. It was in the mail the next day and arrived in time. The map was beautiful (from 1821) and in great condition - and VERY WELL PACKED. Many thanks to the attentive and professional Maps of Antiquity team!

Date of experience: December 2017
2  Thank Adam R
ChathamMass, Front Office Manager at Maps of Antiquity, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2018

Thank you very much for your purchase and your review! We are so glad to hear that you are pleased with the service you received. We do our best to ship every order quickly and safely. Around the holidays, we know that people are concerned about items arriving in time, so we do all that we can to ensure that the item arrives as quickly as possible. We are glad to hear that you are happy with the map and we hope that we can be of service in the future for any other antique map needs! Thank you again for your order and for taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed November 27, 2017

"Maps" is an awesome shop for maps and the framing of maps, new and old. I've used Maps a number of times to help decorate my home. The staff is very professional and knowledgeable. I've given them projects on hand written sketches and they've created masterpieces.

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank Barry D
ChathamMass, Front Office Manager at Maps of Antiquity, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2017

Thank you very much for your nice review! It has been a pleasure working with you on the various framing orders that we have done. It is always such a nice feeling when we see the finished product of our work hanging proudly on someone's walls! We truly appreciate your business and your kind review. Thank you!

See more reviews
Reviewed November 27, 2017

In-person: I was able to visit Chatham a couple years ago and dropped in on Maps of Antiquity. If you are interested in maps you will be amazed. If you are not interested in maps, you will be before you leave the store. Atmosphere was excellent, we were able to look around without being pushed to buy something (although we did buy several maps), the quality and breadth of the collection was awesome and the staff were knowledgeable and helpful.

On-line: My daughter's birthday was right around the corner and she has become a map enthusiast. The first place I thought of was Maps of Antiquity. Since it is a good 2+ hours away without traffic I researched on-line and found the maps that she would be interested in (of Iceland). I selected the items and, before hitting confirm, contacted the team to ask about shipping options. They called me back immediately and ensured the maps were delivered on-time (they were). The maps (and one sketch of an Iceland gull) are of very high quality, better than I expected. I reached back to ask about framing options to protect the maps (if we decide to get them framed). Again, I was contacted immediately and a lengthy explanation of the options (from expensive to not so expensive) was provided. I absolutely will not hesitate to purchase items on-line from Maps of Antiquity in the future.

Bottom line - visit Maps of Antiquity in person if you can. If not, peruse their website and, if you don't see something you are looking for or just have questions, give them a call and I'm sure you will happy with the response.

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank danamartinhome

Thank you so much for your wonderful review! We are so pleased to hear that you have enjoyed both your in-person and online experiences with us. And how fantastic that your daughter has become a map enthusiast! We always strive to provide excellent service, both in-store and online, and we try to be helpful whenever folks come to us with questions. We are so happy that you have enjoyed purchasing from us and we hope to see you again in our store sometime! Our inventory is always evolving and there are always great new maps to see. Thank you very much for your business!