“Fabulous Trip made more fun by Frank!”

Crab Apple Whitewater
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Charlemont
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Boston area
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Fabulous Trip made more fun by Frank!”
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were a mix of first time adult rafters and experienced youths. Our first impression of Crab Apple Whitewater was a little shaky: a harried young man scolded us or our poor parking technique. However, things improved from there and resulted in a truly memorable experience. We rafted the Fife Brook section with Frank as our guide. We had special needs (timing issues and some health considerations). THe staff adjusted the schedule and graciously accommodated our needs. For those who haven't rafted: do not be concerned. At Crab Apple, they are true professionals with a passion for ensuring their guests appreciate the beautiful scenery, have a safe experience, and also get to enjoy the excitement that white water can provide. Chances to ride the rapids, both in the raft and alongside it (toes up!) are highlights, but so are the quieter stretches where the guides describe the history of the region, the man-made and natural forces at work. I can't say enough positive about Frank (one of the owners at the Charlemont location), the highly trained staff (trained in rafting, safety AND customer service), the good quality equipment, and the excellent experience offered. Frank's passion for experiencing the river was obvious and rubbed off on us, enhancing our entire experience.Our afternoon excursion included a cold-cut lunch, comprehensive (but not boring) dry land safety training, and a 20+ minute bus ride up the Deerfield River. The balance of the afternoon was on-the-water fun. A highly recommended excursion that we will definitely repeat!

Visited August 2012
3 Thank gill052
appleraft, Manager at Crab Apple Whitewater, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
"Fabulous" - that's a good rating! Thanks for rafting with us and taking the time to write a review of our family business. So happy you enjoyed a great day on the river and that your guide made the day even better. See you next trip - ask for Frank to guide you again.

wiesbaden
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“So good!!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

awesome team of experienced, caring, professional and fun guides, beautiful sceneries and lots of fun! Our kids (8, 10 and 12) and us had a blast for their first white water rafting experience. Our guide Alyssa was great, and the whole team was, really. We spent the whole day (10 to 4pm ) were offered a nice picnic lunch, got entertained the whole way (but not in a disney world way) really nice.

Visited September 2012
Thanks so much for bringing your family rafting with our family at Crab Apple. Good match with Alyssa sounds like a lot of fun - she is great with families. Especially appreciate the comment that the day was full of entertainment, but not in a Disney kind of way. Hanging out in the Deerfield River gorge with family and a great guide gives us all such a different feel than a manufactured world of fantasy. Both have their place, I guess, but give me the river any day!
Thanks again - see you next trip.
South Windsor
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“One of the highlights of the summer!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Went rafting with a group of 14 (my coed softball team, and some family members). We had a great time! We did the Monroe Bridge trip, which has you rafting through class 2, 3 and 4 rapids. From start to finish, every aspect of the trip was well done! The guides were friendly, supportive and very knowledgeable. From orientation, to fitting us with gear, safety talks, and finally guiding us on the river the whole trip was very professionally done. And the barbecue and slide show after the trip were perfect endings for the day! I would recommend this family owned and operated company to anyone who wants to raft the Deerfield River. And I'd recommend the Monroe Bridge trip to those who like some nice adrenaline rushes along the way! We will go rafting again, and we will do so with Crab Apple Whitewater!

1 Thank Pattic1745
Co-ed softball team - add that to the list of groups that have joined us in the past 30 years. So psyched you had a great time together. Nothing better than taking a group of friends that are familiar in one setting and introducing them to the wonders and thrills of a rafting trip. Great fun and great bonding experience. Glad you chose Crab Apple and hope to see you again. Good luck with the team!
East Hills, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“AMAZING”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have never written a review, but had so much fun yesterday that I had to write. My husband and I and my 17 year old son went on the Monroe Bridge river trip yesterday. We had so much fun!
I was nervous to go down the river since I had never done it before. Daniella was our guide and she was very reassuring in a fun way. She was great. I thought it would be scary but it wasn't at all. It was exciting. We met some fun people from London who shared our raft. After the trip we went back to the base and had a bbq and watched the slide show. It was great. I really cannot wait to return next year! I highly recommend this trip.

Visited September 2012
Thanks for writing about your trip on the Monroe Bridge Section of the Deerfield. That is such a fun trip with lots of action. Glad you had a good time and got to see our guide, Daniela, in her element. She has so many runs down the Deerfield that she must know every rock on the river!
Hope to see you again - ask for Daniela to guide you again.
Fort Worth, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fun Funyak!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

After zip lining in the morning with Hubby and 17 year old son my hubby suggests we go kayaking. The company we had zip lined with did not offer the inflatable kayaks that day so we called up Crab Apple. We had gone white water rafting the day before so I had been on the river. However, I am not adventurous at all. Hubby really wanted to go and he does a lot for our family so son and I said sure. You get in a bus and drive 12 miles to your put in spot. The bank to walk down has roots and some rocks but it's doable. After listening to the instructions it's my turn to get in. I'm a klutz but made it. Water wasn't too cold and I got into my funyak with little trouble. You put out as a group. There were 3 in our group and we put out right after the other so you stay together as the current is pushing you down stream. There are many rocks in the river (it is called white water). I hit most of them. There was a big boulder sticking out of the water - I hit it. When they tell you to lean into the rock so you don't fall out - it really works. Glad I listened. I wasn't very keen or happy about all this. There are areas that have no white water and hubby and son would lay down in the kayak and enjoy the sun. Not me, I was at full alert at all times. There is one area the rapid is a class 2 with a big area of rocks and grass growing out of the water. You got it, that's right where I went. Stuck again. I kept moving around like we were instructed and I would move 2 inches at a time. The water was fast and wouldn't let me push off the rocks easily. No one could help me because of the rapid. I finally got "unstuck" and yelled and swore at my hubby and told him I wasn't talking to him any more and I was getting out of the water once at the break area. I got stuck several times more times. At the break area I got out and marched up the hill to the snack area. I was ready to bale then here come the little kids with big smiles on their faces. I can't be the only wimp could I? Well, I'm not a wimp and off we go again for the last 1 1/2 hours. It was much better as I knew what to look for and even then still got stuck a bunch more. Everyone got stuck at one point or another. Son got stuck twice but the first one he was stuck for a little while. He got himself out and off he went. Of course, the last big boulder of the trip I ran right into it. I stayed in the kayak and laughed. It was a great experience and I'm glad I did it. 8 miles was a bit long especially after 3 hours of zip lining and repelling that morning. Be sure you take a spare set of clothes, socks and shoes. You will be glad you did. Nice facility and bathrooms where you sign in and return. One lady worked the registration area and suited us up with gear. The Funyaks are unguided. Just watch out for those rocks!

Visited August 2012
Glad you took a chance and tried something new - our solo Funyak, inflatable kayak trip. As you found out, it has a nice mix of action and calm water. Something for everyone - novices, experienced paddlers of all ages. See you next time - you'll be ready for the waves and missing all of the rocks!