“Yeahhhhhhh Buddy!”

More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I've gone rafting with CrabApple every summer for the past 6 years and each time I am more and more impressed with the level of professionalism, fun and organization they bring to the table. Their guides do a great job on both the beginner and the advanced trips; bringing just the right balance of entertainment and safety onto the river. Most recently I was taken down by river guide Tom K, who was humorous, knowledgeable, good looking, and a fantastic tour guide. I can't wait for the "Ice Breaker" weekend on the Millers River this year! I would definitely recommend CrabApple to both experienced white river rafters and first timers!

1  Thank Lance R
in 5 reviews
"long trip"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed February 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I had a blast, she was unsure about the whole thing at first,but I had been before and assured her it was nothing but a good time. The staff at crab apple were great,very enthusiastic and professional every step of the way. From the moment we arrived we were treated like we were family,the guides and the owners,Frank andJen Mooney spot on! when we made it to the river,our guide Money(John) was exactly what my girlfriend needed,calm and cool,he made sure we new everything we needed to,to have a fun and safe ride,taking his time with melissa,(my girlfriend) until she felt comfortable. We were maybe ten minutes in, and melissa,now yelping with joy,turned out to be the most enthusiastic and ready for anything crew member on the boat!
I ,we,can't wait for next summer! We plan on putting together a full boat of our newbie friends or family to show them what they have been missing! Thanks to Crab Apple,and there superior operation,my girl and I have found a new passion.
John and Melissa:)

2  Thank John S
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I had been rafting a couple times before, but I never realized that there was such exciting whitewater in Western Massachusetts. The class IV Monroe Bridge section of the Deerfield River was full of drops, splashes, surfs, and fun - the river was excellent.

But what really made the day great was the friendly staff, who made the day stress-free and fun. A couple people in our group were pretty nervous, but the Crabapple family provided thorough safety instructions, and saw to it that everyone followed them properly. Their equipment was clean and high quality. By the end of the day, even the most nervous rafters were loving the whitewater.

After the trip, we had a delicious cookout lunch, where we sat around and talked with our guide, who by then had become like a close friend. He even sent us a thank you card a couple weeks after the trip.

All in all, it was a fantastic day. Crabapple is an excellent family business, and their values show in the caring and fun way that all their employees treat guests.

1  Thank 33DGB24
Reviewed February 2, 2012

I went rafting with Crab Apple Whitewater in June of last year and it was a BLAST! Our family friends recommended going to Crab Apple and at first, we didn't know what to expect. At first we were nervous about taking our children who are 9 and 11. But before we even got into the boat, our guide got everyone feeling comfortable by telling us what to expect and giving safety instructions. When we got into the boat, we were taught how to paddle correctly and more importantly, how to stay in the boat.

Before we entered the first rapid we were expert paddlers due to our guide's coaching and experience. We paddled down through Class II and III rapids and had a great day. Crab Apple provided us with a great lunch, and afterwards, with buckets to cool off other boats during the water fights.

All in all, it was a day our family won't soon forget. I want to send a big thanks to Crab Apple. I was very impressed with the staff, on and off the river. Our guide made our kids comfortable, and they still talk about their experience on the river days after. Crab Apple Whitewater provided us the highlight of our summer! Can't wait to come back again this summer!!!

1  Thank Thomas O
See more reviews
Reviewed October 25, 2011

An overcast day with a little drizzle failed to diminish the awesome day we spent on the Deerfield River with CrabApple.
Without any previous experience on a river raft and more than a bit of trepidation about bouncing down a cold and rocky river our small group of family and friends were immediately made comfortable and secure by Frank, our boat's guide and a co-owner of the outfit. He made a brief safety presentation and got us into our life vests and helmets; my wife's comment: "something must be wrong if you need a helmet to go into the water."
The technical discussion was limited to a description of how to hold the paddle and a recommendation that we look at the person in front of us to know when to stroke.
The next thing we knew we were floating down the river. What a blast. Our fears were quickly forgotten as we quickly became a team mostly, if not seamlessly, working together to tame the Class II and III rapids that highlighted our 10 mile float.
Besides guiding us through the eddies and rocks Frank pointed out historical and natural features as well as the destructive force and huge changes to the river wrought by the recent hurricane (Irene).
Included in the trip was a nice lunch and a photo slide show with commentary from Frank and laughter from us as we relived the experience from a different viewpoint.
It was a good run for newcomers - they call it the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield. It was a great introduction and gave us a desire to do it again - we may even be ready to step up to Class III and IV waters.

1  Thank RCEWP56