“Feel like I am missing out on the history of this place”

Hail to the Sunrise / Mohawk Park
Ranked #8 of 15 things to do in Charlemont
More attraction details
Owner description: This small park, perfect for a picnic, is home to the "Hail to the Sunrise" statue, a tribute to the Native Americans who greeted the first settlers to the area.
Arlington, Massachusetts
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Feel like I am missing out on the history of this place”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

A nice place to stop and think about Native American culture in Western MA. In addition to the beautiful statue and setting there are dozens (hundreds?) of plaques commemorating something (visits?) from other tribes around the country. I wish there was better signage to explain more about what we are seeing. Nonetheless, it is a family tradition to visit this spot on the way out to the Berkshires.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Michael H

Enfield NH
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Dirty”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I thought this place was way overpriced and didn't clean like it should have. This seems to be a place where the locals go and if you are not local you may not be welcome.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Nicole G
austin
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Really cool to relive childhood memories.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

This park is a beautiful area with history. It was not crowded when we went and we were able to enjoy the quiet and surrounding countryside.
After driving up the Mohawk Trail, this park gives one a deeper perception of the history behind this area.
We enjoyed seeing it as I have fond memories as a child going to this park.
I recommend stopping by if you are in the area.

Visited July 2013
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Many memories”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I came here every year as a child and even into my teens with my grandparents and parents and we took a picture in front of the statue. My husband and I camped at the State Forest recently after not being here for years (I'm 65 now) and all the memories came flooding back! A wonderful little park with an important reminder of who blazed these trails we love to hike.

Visited July 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Beautiful statue, saw it in a book about the back roads of Massachusetts. Thought it would be up on a hill overlooking a valley. Instead it is on the side on a road overlooking a run down trailer park.

Visited October 2012