“Don't waste your time or money”

King Richard's Faire
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Carver
More attraction details
Owner description: King Richard's Faire opens weekends plus Labor Day & Columbus Day Mondays September 5 - October 25, 2009. Entertainment, exotic animals, musicians, knights jousting on horseback! Contests, costumes, games for all ages. Enjoy delicious food, wine and beer while visiting our 16th century marketplace with artisans and handmade wares.
East Coast
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time or money”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Years and years ago this was a fun weekend activity for both families and groups of friends. Not so anymore. The cost of entrance is enough to turn most people away. There are similar festivals nationwide that are far better and less than half the cost! I got talked into going again last year, and wish I hadn't. They hassle people about bringing outside food in ( some of us with severe food allergies have to..) and if you leave to get something out of your car, they wont let you back in! The cost of food was absolutely embarrassing....so high I first thought they were joking!

its sad..I love so many of the shops there, but I cannot afford to pay close to $30 entrance fee simply to check out the shops. Many of the longtime performers have moved on to the Connecticut Renaissance Faire, and that is where I'm headed this year. Although it is farther to go, the cost is far more manageable.

I honestly think the owners are likely losing money these days. If they would simply drop their prices to be more competitive, I think they'd see a return in numbers. I used to bring huge groups each year, but stopped about 5 years ago bc of the cost.

Save your money and try the CT Faire. I've heard its great. I'll write a review nce I see it for myself.

11 Thank AnglophileGirl

Warren, Massachusetts
672 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2,656 helpful votes
“A Day in the Renaissance”
Reviewed November 3, 2009

King Richard's Faire has been around for a long time, a testament to its popularity. A visit to the Faire is an expensive proposition, particularly for family groups. Entry is $26 at the time of this review; food and drink is expensive; and all the free shows pass the hat for donations. But the Tudor themed venue is fun and offers some of the best people watching I've seen in a long time. The fair encompasses a large tract of wooded land in Carver, MA. Make sure you attend on a dry day as the facility isn't paved and could be very messy in wet conditions.

Hundreds of people come in costume and roam the 88-acre facility so that the lines between employees and visitors are easily blurred. The costumes range from Renaissance authenticity to New Age to Wiccan to pirate gear. Some is leather inspired and right out of Mad Max and I even saw two gents in Samurai armor. Seeing the outfits are worth the price of admission.

The shows are fun...there are acrobats, singing competitions, humorous shows, a mud show, a tiger act, and demonstrations of skill. The Tournament is among the best attractions and takes place several times per day. The horsemanship is superb and the King's Tournament gives an idea of what it might have been like in King Richard's time to see a jousting tournament. I highly recommend the experience.

I went the Faire not quite sure what I'd see. At first I was apalled at the lack of historical integrity. The mix of historical periods is confusing, but I quickly got into the spirit and enjoyed myself. Take it light; make the best of it; and enjoy yourself.

3 Thank redeco