“NOT GLUTEN friendly restaurant.”

Gourmet Garden Canton
Ranked #7 of 64 Restaurants in Canton
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Do Not eat here if you have Celiac Disease or are Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitive. Their menu's 2 designated gluten free items has the header "For the health conscious" which is usually a red flag for us at most restaurants, but we thought rice and fish would be safe. We started our night pretty well during drinks and appetizers. Once the meal came to us, it all went downhill.

My friends and I started with fried raviolis and shrimp tempura. My husband didn't have any starters because they didn't have anything to accommodate his allergy to gluten. The appetizers were good and their mixed drinks were strong. Before ordering several sushi rolls, he told the waiter about the severity of his allergy. The waiter initially said the tamago did not have gluten, but from our experience of knowing that some places purchase their tamago from another company, we asked him to double checked. Of course, he came back and told us that there was wheat in it. After my husband finished ordering, he once again asked the waiter to double check everything that he ordered. The waiter said that he would.

When my husband got his rolls, he once again asked the waiter of everything was entirely gluten free. The waiter said yes. Right after my husband ate one spicy tuna roll, he tasted the tempura right away. We immediately called the waiter over. He initially said that he checked everything when we told him what happened, but in a moment of realization, he said that he forgot about the tempura in the spicy tuna. We asked for the manager who apologized and gave us a gift card. We don't intend to ever go back even though the manager and waiter seem sincerely remorseful for such a big failure.

I talked to the manager on my way out and he told me they're on high alert when people with food allergies come in. After asking him a few questions about their protocol for handling allergies, it was clear to me that this place is clueless.

Their GF soy / tamari sauce came to our table in an unlabeled bottle. We always have our own, for situations like these. All of our precautions were not enough though.

On top of it all, I ended up really really really sick all night from my sashimi. Fortunately, we have two bathrooms and that my husband caught it before he had too much. He didn't end up in the hospital this time, but he was still violently sick. This place was the worse experience we've had in a long time.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

a new kid on the block , that should do well. went for lunch and was pleasantly surprised. good portions and food was superb. steamed chicken, pork fried rice and vegetables was excellent. food was served hot and service was superb.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Huge menu, lots of options, sushi is good, not great. Decent size rolls, food comes out fast, chicken lo mein, was lacking chicken. Have been here a few times when the kids want a mix of both. Prices are very affordable, quality is just ok.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went for a late lunch and had a very pleasant visit along with tasty food.

The wonton & egg drop soups were both very tasty and served hot. The food itself was well prepared and most enjoyable.

They offer an extensive menu of Chinese, Japanese, some Thai dishes, Sushi and Hibachi meals.. They also have a gluten free menu selection and the menu in general stresses healthy options.

One of our party who is quite picky expressed that she would definitely return.

In an area with another close by Chinese restaurant, I would strongly recommend Gourmet Garden as the one to choose for a fine dining experience.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our second visit to Gourmet Garden. My husband and I went with another couple. If you decide to go I would stick with the chinese options. My husband and I ordered the Japanese option and both left hungry. We usually go to another Japanese restaurant in Canton which is excellent. If looking for Japanese food this is not the place to go

1  Thank kbcanton