“Depressing”

Sandy's Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 38 Restaurants in Buzzards Bay
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Description: A restaurant that has reopened after a couple of years. New owners that have the original recipes from the old owners.
Milford, Massachusetts
“Depressing”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have fond memories of my family and I vacationing down the cape in the summer time growing up. Normally, we used to make a trip to Sandy's for lunch or dinner and always liked it. The thing we always noticed about it is that it was always crowded...and if you went at dinner time on a Friday or Saturday night...the place was overflowing with people to the point where it was almost a fire hazard waiting for a table.

I read that Sandy's was closed for a few years then reopened recently under new ownership. Overall, the reviews here seemed good with a few exceptions, so we thought we'd give it a try. I went to their website and noticed a special (an appetizer or two side salads, two entrees, and a bottle of wine for $35 on weekdays and $40 on weekends. That sounded like a pretty good deal so we drove an hour to try it.

We arrived at 8:30 (Sunday evening). For a lot of places it would be ok for it to be absolutely quiet at this time on a Sunday, but not here. This place had established quite a name for itself, and given it's tourist season in the middle of summer, it was depressing to see that my girlfriend and I were the only ones in the place.

After arriving, we were told to choose anywhere we wanted to sit. After ordering two waters with lemon, I asked our waitress about the special on their website. She was absolutely clueless when I mentioned this to her. She said, "there's a special?" I said yeah...it's only your website. She was new so she checked. Meanwhile we asked for water....it took about five minutes at the least to come back and tell us the special had expired...and forgot to bring our waters. We actually had to explain to her what the special was...I was not impressed...especially since it explained on the menu she brought to us.

She then left after we said we needed a minute to decide. She came back not one minute later but about 5-10 minutes later...again, without the waters. We placed our order, and she left. She then returned with the wine but no water. We had to ask again for our waters. She then brought the waters over. We asked if we could have some bread, and she didn't know if they had any and would have to ask. We got the bread and it was fine...but you should know whether or not you have bread...

When we ordered our salad, we were asked if Ranch was ok. We asked if they had any others...and it was like pulling teeth to get her to name other dressings. We got our salads....and let me tell you that I am not exaggerating when I said these were the SMALLEST side salads I have ever seen. There must have been 15 small pieces of lettuce, with a small tomato, two cucumbers, and a slice of red onion. The salad was so small that the small side of dressing drowned the lettuce that was there. I was able to sop up the dressing with three rolls.

We shortly thereafter got our entrees (fish and chips and chicken parmesan). I must say that the fish and chips was some of the best I've ever had and was pleasantly surprised...nice and light, crispy...and the batter was perfect. The fries were excellent as well...and it was a pretty good size portion. The chicken parmesan was ok...the sauce was too sweet for my taste. The chicken was ok but the breading wasn't as crispy as I would have liked. The garlic bread, however, was delicious, and the wine went very well with our meal (we had Riesling).

I would have given this four stars, but with the bad service, the highest I can rate Sandy's is a three. It's sad to see a place that earned so much respect over the years in that poor a state. The owners/manages need to put more effort into this place (including updating their website, and training wait staff more effectively). I am glad they at least agreed to give us the dinner special (and they actually charged us $35 rather than the $40 which I thought was nice...but the customer service I feel is going to ruin the place if they don't get their act together. It does seem like their seafood is right on, they just need to work on the other stuff. I'd give them another chance, and I recommend the fish and chips highly.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Kyle B

Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
“bad bad bad”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Who ever runs this place needs to reconsider their line of work. My first clue should have been that it was deserted. I love fried clams and my mom and dad used to go there when ever they went tothe cape so I figured I would give the new owners a try. My colslaw tasted rancid and my fried seafood platter was so loaded with grease it tasted horrible. There was no crunch it was like the oil was not hot enough. When I told my server she said she was sorry and that was it ! No can I get you something else, no manager to apologize nothing. My sister had a cup of chowder that was so thick and overcooked it seemed like paste I ate none of my platter and still got charged. Talk about bad business. I left the money for our drinks and left...
Never again. I'll stick with lindseys...

Linda B

2 Thank linda_bC1028LV
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Great Meal”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I visited this past weekend to celebrate mom's birthday. We had a great time! Very friendly staff & excellent service. I ordered fish & chips (delicious!) & mom went with the lobster dinner. Mom had a great time & was very happy with her meal. Ended up bringing home some pie for dessert since we were both so full & we were glad that we did; very tasty!

Bourne, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yum!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Sandy's never disappoints! Came in last Friday for dinner with the family and will be coming back soon. We ordered stuffed quahogs & calamari for appetizers, there wasn't a crumb left. I decided to go for the seafood platter, it was DELICIOUS, the plate was piled high and at a very reasonable price. It was quite busy but the waitress was very attentive and kind; each plate was delivered with a smile. We have now visited several times and have been pleased with each visit & consider it our "go-to" spot if we are looking for great seafood.

1 Thank Nicole C
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
“Did not like”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Spent the night in the area and was looking for fried clams. Read an article in the local newspaper and thought why not try this place. The prices were a little too high for us with such a small portion. We decided to try the other food. We ordered linguine with meatballs. The order arrived without the meatballs, when we finally received them they were like frozen no sauce on them and awful. ordered the fried chicken which was ok, thought the breading was too heavy. Fish & chips looked good and the popcorn shrimp was good also. The waitress must of been new as she kept forgetting everything we asked her for. It was not busy at all. I usually do not like to give a bad review but this place unfortunately will be crossed off our list.