“How long would it have taken if it were busy??”
Review of Romano's Macaroni Grill - CLOSED

Romano's Macaroni Grill
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We arrived well before a normal dinner time on a Wednesday and there were only 3 or 4 tables that were occupied. It took awhile for the server to appear, but once she did we thought we'd be fine. Nope. From the time we sat down to the time our meal was served was 55 minutes.

The server was pleasant enough but didn't seem concerned about how slow the food was in coming - maybe she's been there long enough to know that it's an issue and just didn't want to talk about it. When we asked for things, she was responsive, but never took the initiative to ask if there was anything else we needed.

The Caesar salad was the high point ... very crisp and tasty. The entree when it finally arrived (eggplant parm) was overcooked and crusty/black around the edges.

If it was the only place to eat I might try it again, but with plenty of other choices in the Burlington/Woburn area, I don't think I'll be going again.

1  Thank TA_Zoe

Reviewed August 3, 2013

The food was delicious and the staff were really friendly. As a solo traveller I felt really comfortable there.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Popped into this place for a quick and affordable lunch earlier today with one of my best friends. We arrived at 12:30PM and were greeted and seated instantly upon walking through the doors.

I had never been to a Romano's Macaroni Grill and knew that it was part of a large chain much like an Olive's Garden. I figured and expected the experience to be decent, with average food at affordable prices. I figured that service would be seasoned and much like a well-oil machine, would work efficiently to expedite the food quickly, especially during lunch service.

I was wrong.

We arrived to a restaurant which wasn't very busy. Maybe 20 tables were seated at most. The chairs felt a bit grimy and could have used a quick wipedown. On the table in front of us were menus, specials and crayons. Apparently kids and adults alike can draw on the tablecloth. Our waitress got our drinks order and we were told that bread and olive oil would be arriving as well. (It never did).

After our drinks arrived we ordered from the lunch menu deal which they have in place every day Monday through Friday and which offers a combination of either two item or three items. I decided to get a two-item combo with their pomodorina soup (plum tomatoes, mozzarella crouton and basil pesto) and the market chop salad (roasted turkey, pepperoni, provolone, artichoke, balsamic vinaigrette and pumpkin seeds).

My friend got something similar but added a turkey sandwich on top of that as part of his 3 item combo deal, and we also ordered the Meditteranean olives to share as well ($3).

While we weren't in a big rush, we never anticipated having to wait 55 minutes for our food to arrive. 55 minutes for the soups, the tiny salads and his half of a sandwich. The waitress checked on us a couple of times but eventually avoided us because she knew that they'd messed up. So also tried to upsell us on their wine special (50% off) but we ordered diet cokes instead. A manager eventually came and apologized although having just arrived to work, she wasn' sure what she was apologizing for. She wasn't even made aware of what had happened, just that they'd messed up. We had to brief her about it as our food finally arrived which a bit annoying, especially since we both had to be somewhere.

Needless to say that we didn't end up paying for our meal and the entire thing was comped, which is the only redeeming factor here for us. That being said, objectively, the food wasn't good. Definitely not worth waiting 55 minutes for, or even 15 minutes for that matter. The size of their lunch deal is ridiculous. It was like baby portions and I left the restaurant just as hungry as I had walking in. The soup was lukewarm and was very salty and didn't taste all that great. It also featured a lonely, tiny crouton on top which just hung out on there. The salad was a bunch of leaves, and at no point did I see any of the turkey or pepperoni that was supposed to be in there.

Overall I don't think that I'd ever return at this location, or any other for that matter. The food was below average and quite underwhelming. I really do think that there's many, much better options in the area. Whether it be Burton's Grill, Border Cafe or any of the other spots, service is better and the place will feel cleaner than this place. Restaurants in the area should be able to handle a lunch service with no issues, especially since most patrons have to return to work quickly. There's no reason for it to have taken this long... ever. Especially considering what they had to put out. I also don't know why they'd have everything come out at once after we've been waiting this long. Why no have the soups arrive to kill a bit of time and buy the kitchen some breathing room? Would that have made too much sense?

Luckily for us we had the crayons to keep us entertained as we waited for the food.

No thanks.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'll start by saying the service was excellent. The menu didn't really have many options that I would pick. A lot of items had seafood, which I don't care for. I ordered the lasagna, which was good. I really didn't like that the entrees didn't come with a salad. For the amount you pay, a salad should be included and not $3 extra. The chocolate cake was very dry. If I had the choice between this place and the Olive Garden, I'd pick the Olive Garden.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have a Romano's Macaroni Grill near home, and it is always delicious. This one in Burlington was just okay. I wasn't as thrilled with the flavors of items I had had back home. The chef there is just not up to Macaroni Grill standards.