“Nice stay”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Burlington
Dallas, TX
“Nice stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2009

We had a nice stay at this hotel. It's easy to get on/off the major freeways from here. The mall is across the street and there's a grocery store down the street. The room was clean, but I'd suggest getting a 2nd story or higher room so you can open the window and make it feel less stuffy. I felt safe here. The bathroom was very clean. We didn't use the kitchen except for the refrigerator, but it was nice to have the extra space. It's a great location if you're going to go to Lexington/Concord. We rode the train into Boston from Adelwife, but the GPS instructions weren't very good to get to the train station. Be sure to put 20 Second Street as your GPS location when you're going to the hotel. The restaurant behind the hotel has excellent food and prices. The traffic near Boston is terrible!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2009

This hotel is an exceptional value hotel, which offers clean efficient rooms and great service. THere are free dvd/vcr rentals, dishes and cups, microwave, full size fridge and a dishwasher available in the rooms, plus complimentary dishwasher cleaner and dishwashing detergent! The hotel is in an excellent safe suburban location, close to malls and restaurants. I recommend Borders cafe, which is right on the turnpike, and right behind the hotel - an excellent mexican restaurant. The hotel is only 25 minutes to Boston. I will most definitely return.

The ONLY drawback is that the walls are very thin, which can keep you up at nights if you have a noisy neighbour.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Burlington MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2009

We are currently staying at the Candlewood Suites in Burlington MA. We needed a place to stay while waiting for closing on our house and we had to find a hotel in the area around $90 a night. This was basically the only option for us but I would definitely shell out a little more money next time and stay somewhere else. The rooms are not very clean, there were dirty dishes in our room- the glass in the bathroom has a stain on it and was not washed. You only get 3 pillows and 1 set of towels for each person. This is not always enough when you have two people staying in a TINY space for extended periods of time. I had to ask for another pillow and will have to exchange my towels myself. Also the housekeeping only comes once a week and we may not be there but a week and will not get this amenity because of their hours. I don't think I would stay here again.

The staff was very helpful and nice though. I also think the hotel is undergoing a renovation but the rooms are very out of date and most other long term stay hotels have a over and larger range for their tenants. There was also a group of teenagers who seemed to be having a party in a few of the rooms. They were very loud and were yelling in the parking lot. It is also very hard to get to and is not well marked from the street of how to find the parking lot.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sweetelk

Travelers are raving about these Burlington hotels

San Marcos, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

This hotel was for a 2 night stay in Boston. The first experience we had with it was a poor representation of signage. Honestly, I have no idea how we would have found it had we arrived in the dark. It is set up on a hill and as a result you have to drive around behind several business' to locate it. Even the front door is not marked well leaving us doubting if we were in the right place. After our 2 days we arrived at the conclusion it would be a good place to stay if you were temporarily living in Boston. It is a studio suite with a small kitchen. They provide the bare minimum of kitchen essentials. The decor is nice, but the pillows are small and the space is pretty tight for 2 people. Because of the kitchenettes there is no breakfast provided. There is a nice work out room and free laundry facility. They also have an "honor store" that provides some basic necessities if you should need them. No pool, but a BBQ area is provided.

• Liked — Kitchen area
  • Disliked — Poor signage.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Bluffton, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

I made a mistake and failed to check the TA reviews before checking into another extended stay property in Burlington. Fortunately, Candlewood had space, so I moved....

I'm in my third of five weeks at this property and it has been wonderful.

Check-in and orientation was a breeze and there were ample luggage carts for my ton of stuff.

I'm on the top floor (by request) and can hear no noise from the hallway, adjacent rooms, or outside, even though the parking lot is nearly full every night.

The suite (a one-room studio w/ kitchen, a table/desk and bath) is more than adequate for my needs. The room was spotless when I moved in and housekeeping does a wonderful job with my once-per week cleaning (same day each week). The high cushy bed is firm enough, yet very comfortable. Air conditioning works very well - even when the outside temp is in the 90s. Microwave, stovetop, toaster, coffee pot, garbage disposal, dishes, pans, utensils, reasonable kitchen supplies, etc. The full-sized refrigerator/freezer is nice for my five-week stay.

Free wired Internet is somewhat slow in peak evening times, but no worse than many hotels where I have stayed. Contrary to two other reviews, you can get an Ethernet cable at the front desk, including one long enough so that you can get online from bed! I have a pop-up blocker, so I have seen none of the ads that another reviewer complained about. Cable TV has about 40 stations including HBO and a variety of sports and news stations. There is a DVD player.

Security is good. All outside doors, except the one that opens to the front desk, are locked 24/7 and are opened with your room key. Although here is no in-room safe, there are safes at the front desk. They don't have very many, so you might have to wait for one. The hotel, about two miles from where I lived for 16 years, is in a very safe area of retail and upscale office buildings.

There is a free laundry room and an adjacent workout room with basic cardio and strength equipment. For the runner, there are good places to run from the hotel, including some trails reached by turning right out of the parking lot and going to the end of the parking lot at the far end of North Street. (Find North Street on Google Maps. The trails are adjacent to Sun Microsystems.) No one at the front desk is a runner, so take this with you to the hotel!

A small self-service store with snacks, some food, drinks and basic necessities is accessible with your room key and operates on the honor system. Simply take what you want and sign a chit with your room number or leave cash.

Restaurants abound. Macaroni Grill, Chili's and Border Cafe are all accessible with a short walk or without any major intersections. A half-mile away is the giant Burlington Mall with numerous restaurants, including Johnny Rockets, Pizzeria Uno, Rainforest Cafe, Legal Seafoods, Cheesecake Factory and a large food court. Fast food restaurants (BK, McD, Quizno's, Wendy's and others) are within a mile, as is a Starbucks.

You can choose to leave your car in the parking lot and ask the front desk for free shuttle service to nearby restaurants, shopping or other locations.

If you really get bored, there is a 10-screen movie theater complex within a half mile.

There are two large gas BBQ grills in a covered patio area and you can borrow grilling utensils from the front desk.

USA Today is available (free) in a rack at the front desk, but you'll have to get other newspapers elsewhere as there are no newspaper vending machines.

Service is outstanding. I have made a couple of special requests and they have been met with instant service and a smile.

Location: It’s a little less than a mile off of I-95, but it’s tricky to get to if you’re looking only for the street address on Middlesex Turnpike. The entrance is actually on one street to the West - on 2nd Avenue.

Negatives? I like this place so much, it’s tough to find some. The sometimes-slow Internet connection is a nuisance. And housekeeping should use a bit more fabric softener for the bath towels. The clock radio is a bit tricky to figure out, but maybe it’s because I’m used to more basic ones of earlier generations! None of that is worth complaining about.

I highly recommend this place!!!

• Liked — Cleanliness, service, price
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
3 Thank DaveMcC
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2008

The Burlington Candlewood Suites offered a decent place to stay for 3 weeks while waiting for my new apartment to become available. I believe some of the rooms in the hotel were recently renovated, but unfortunately mine was not one of them.

On first impressions, the room was pretty nice. Of course, after staying anywhere for multiple weeks, you begin to notice all of its shortcomings, and this hotel did have a few. Before I get into that, though, let me at least mention the good points. The free laundry was very handy (though some of the machines were out of order) and the exercise room was full of fairly nice equipment. The front desk staff always seemed friendly and helpful. I had a couple of packages delivered to the hotel during my stay, and they called down to let me know when those had arrived. Additionally, they readily helped me when I needed to print and fax a document.

The internet access is free (bring your own ethernet cable). From what I can tell, everyone in the hotel is sharing a single 1.5 megabit connection, so things can get incredibly slow when lots of people are online in their rooms, but it's fine for simple web browsing. A bit more problematic if you need to use a remote desktop client or some other higher-bandwidth application. Even just watching a 1-minute YouTube clip can be an exercise in patience as you wait 5-10 minutes for it to load. Not exactly "GigaSpeed" (which is how Candlewood brands it). Additionally, the internet service, while free, is apparently ad-supported, as ad frames would randomly show up at the top of web sites that I know do not normally contain ads. It would have been nice if they had disclosed this up front.

The in-room kitchenette is well-stocked with plates, bowls, and cookware, though I was short a few silverware items. The dishwasher worked well, and they provide a couple of complimentary packets of dishwashing detergent. There is a Trader Joe's grocery store just down the street, or you can use the Candlewood Cupboard (I never did).

Now for some of the more annoying parts:

For one, housekeeping service is only provided once a week. In my case, it was 10 days after I checked in before my room was cleaned for the first time, and only then because I inquired about it at the front desk. If the trash cans in your room fill up before the maids come by, your only option is to take them to the relatively small public trash bins at the end of each hall, which can fill up over the weekends. However, when they do remember to clean your room, they do a pretty good job of it.

Several times during my first week, there was barely any hot water when I went to take a shower in the mornings. However, I discovered that if I left the water running and checked it again after about 5 minutes, it was usually hot enough. Not a big deal, but it was also not immediately obvious, so I thought I'd mention it.

The walls are thin, especially if you have an adjoining door to the next room. Be prepared to hear everything your neighbor says on the phone or what they're watching on TV. If you are a light sleeper, bring earplugs.

I mentioned above that my room was probably due for a renovation. This was apparent from several spills/stains on the carpet, the scuffed up appearance of the desk chair, and some sticky residues on the kitchen cabinets. However, everything in the room worked fine, and the bed sheets were fresh and clean. I did catch a glimpse of one of the newly-renovated rooms, and they looked much nicer, with carpet only in the living area, and some type of laminate flooring in the kitchen area (a much smarter idea).

All in all, my stay here was mostly pleasant with a few minor annoyances. If you're looking for a reasonably-priced long-term hotel in the Burlington area, the Candlewood Suites will probably meet your needs.

• Liked — Kitchen facilities and free laundry
  • Disliked — Painfully slow internet access
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Nothlit
Simi Valley, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2007

The manager at the Burlington Candlewood Suites, Danny Williams, was very gracious and accommodating. I first spoke to him on the phone two days before I checked in, to request a room on the first floor. At first, he said he coiuldn't guarantee it, but after a few minutes, he did guarantee it, and I was checked in on the first floor upon my arrival. After seeing the one bedroom suites, I asked to change my room, but still be on the first floor. Mr. Williams went the "extra mile", and got me that room as well. All other things are great at this clean and neat hotel: free laundry, a convenient "Candlewood Cupboard" with all kinds of goodies available for purchase 24/7 on the "honor system", 2 gas barbecues outside under a covered gazebo, a complimentary bbq every Wed. night, etc.
My overall satisfaction: 4 out of 5...

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Jaybirdtahoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington
HYATT house Boston/Burlington
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
#4 of 6 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston - Billerica

Been to Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington? Share your experiences!