“Good stay for the price!”

Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Burlington
Portland, Oregon
“Good stay for the price!”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Candlewood Suites was a good place for my wife and me to stay for five nights while visiting Boston and the surrounding areas. I was worried about the cleanliness and smell of smoke issues mentioned in other reviews, but those issues were minimal (only a bit of dust here or there and the slight smell of smoke on the elevator). The kitchenette was perfect to help us keep costs down by cooking a small breakfast each morning in our room. The staff was always helpful when I needed to exchange towels, get more coffee, or ask questions. Their website said to use the following address if you are using a GPS: 20 Second Ave., Burlington, MA (it worked perfectly).

Pros: price, kitchenette (cook top, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher, and sink), friendly staff (esp. Nancy), updated room, parking, exercise room, laundry room, and maids not in my room every day.

Cons: loud air conditioner, only one elevator, hearing heavy steps from the floor above, and a few facility issues in our room (door did not hang right, a small leak under the kitchen sink, and ice maker did not seem to work), and you’ll need a car to get around.

I would stay there again and would recommend it because of the good price, good cleanliness in our room, and the kitchenette. F.Y.I. – I don’t expect steak when paying for hamburger!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

It's for businessmen on longer stays. The feeling is somewhat lonely.

Pros: kitchen, full fridge, parking, lowest cost in area.

Cons: weekly maid service (shorter stay, you must take care of your own room), indifferent front desk, illogical and unstable a/c unit, not enough towels, not the cleanest room. My key quit working each day and had to talk to front desk for new one.

It's hard to find using the address since its not located on Middlesex Tpk at all!

This place should be avoided unless you have very low standards.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank ryans69
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear ryans69,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I'm delighted our fully equipped kitchen suited you well. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I am disappointed you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret that our hotel did not live up to your expectation. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with the housekeeping services. I have taken note of the valuable comments you've shared. Rest assured, these will be used to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer to our guests.

I hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Burlington hotels

Williston, Vermont
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We just returned from a quick, no reservation stay at this hotel. We were walk-ins and were greeted and treated very well. We couldn't believe the price for a full kitchen suite! It looked like the room had just be redecorated with modern cupboards and decor. So nice and convenient! While others complained about the hard-to-find location, we very much appreciated the "tucked away" location and convenience to the Burlington Mall (right across the street!). The gentleman who waited on us was so friendly and accommodating. We would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend, and would stay again. Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Although it is not a direct driveway to enter, it is worth it, as it is quiet and tucked away behind...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
portland
Reviewed July 7, 2012

3 rooms later and it was still filthy...except for the bed, which at that point I slept in. Had to wait hours to get housekeeping to clean the bathroom in the morning so I could use the toilet (had someone's poop on it!), shower that had soap scum and hair everywhere and sink that had blue toothpaste in it. The dishes and pots were dirty, the microwave and fridge too. There was Top Ramen noodles on the counter. In the bathroom it looked like vomit on the side of the cabinet, which was the case in the first room and the reason I changed. The second room had missing dishes, dirty counters and fridge and I don't even know what else, because I asked to be moved immediately. The front desk was so rude at 11pm and told me to get another hotel. With my luggage all hauled in at that late hour after a long drive, that was not want I had the energy to do. Avoid this place at all cost. I was an avid fan of Candlewood Suites, staying in Las Vegas for 40 days and Staybridge Suites in Monterrey, Mexico for 4 days in the past 2 months, but have a different opinion now. And can you believe it, they didn't even offer any compensation! I've filed a complaint with corporate and will be following up! Had the housekeeping supervisor in to see the mess and she agreed with me, that the room was NOT acceptable!

Room Tip: Go to the Hampton Inn or Marriott Hotels
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear photojenik2,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property. I am sorry to hear that the service you received was unacceptable. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our best to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

Irish V
Case Manager
IHGCare
Park City, Illinois
Reviewed July 2, 2012

this place is a pit! we booked a room for three nights to see our gravely ill daughter in boston. We booked a no smoking room. We were treated rudely throughout the stay by John..the nite desk person (think that was his name). Firstly..the entire place reeks of smoke from smokers. Aweful smell everywhere..the lobby, all floors,..everywhere. And this is not new...this smell is embedded in everything and everywhere. Secondly, the non-smoking room we were given reeked of smoke. We walked in and found the windows wide open..like they were trying to air it out. It was a certainty that the previous occupant had smoked for his entire stay as it smelled everywhere.
No one would do a thing about it.
The ac unit..either blows full on freezing cold air, or nothing. no matter what we did with the thermostat, we froze and were awakened every time the unit came on. It blowed like a freezing hurricane. No one would do a thing about it.
Thirdly: the iron in the room was a danger. my wife filled it up and went to use it and nearly was shocked to death. I had to run at her and knock her from the circuit. The water tank was cracked, the control knob was broken, and upon looking at it, there were bare contacts showing near the control knob. Not only did they NOT apologize, John was so lazy that he could not even go to another room and get us a working iron. Never stay here or at any Candlewood again as this one seemed to be an over-glorified boarding house or residence apartment complex for long staying residence. They don't care about the short term customers. Hell, there were three cars out in the parking lot alone that were stranded there and unable to run...abandoned. This is a flop house..not a hotel..and the staff..well..could care less.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank saltomer9488
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Suite was nice to bring own food/drinks for business trip. Nice and quiet, very convenient. Would stay again if needed.

Room Tip: Rooms on East side get full blast of sunrise...drapes block sun adequately though.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Kansas City, MO
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This is a newer and very clean hotel. It is a suite hotel and offers big suite rooms, new raised plush beds, flat screen TV’s, full kitchen and nice sized bathroom. The only downside is no free breakfast, no pool, hot tub, bar or restaurant. One other big downsize is that the website DOES NOT give you a line on this hotel. We just needed a hotel before we got on a cruise and some sightseeing in Boston. I did not know what to expect but when I got there I was like “JACKPOT!” because I got a great price on a newer hotel. This is a nice hotel and everything is new. Additionally the hotel sits about a mile or so down the street from Burlington Mall. The mall is NOT in walking distance because of a major 4 lane busy street. The area is very “burbs” and the usual suspects are around the mall or within miles of the mall (i.e. all brand name restaurants, fast food, shopping, etc…). Dually noted the hotel parking lot you have to get to from the backside … no access off the busy 4 lane street. The hotel is actually raised a bit from the street up on a small hill so you can see it but you got to turn at the next light and go back to it on a side street behind it. Depending on your needs and your plans this might or might not be a hotel for families meaning there is no free breakfast or swimming pool. However there are barbeque pits and picnic tables on the hotel grounds which was nice … we did not use it … but it was well done appointed area and would be fun if you had more time. Hands Down … I am going back to Boston and would stay here again … and I have walked out of hotels … even gotten in arguments and wrote and sent pictures to corporate if I go up to a room and something funky, dirty or just downright not going to work. I am not about names or labels. I don’t care if you are a Super8 or Omni … I’ll call you out if you hotel is not meeting city and county codes or representing

Room Tip: Close to the side doors of the hotel so you aren't always going the front door of entrance which...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FaylisaFox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Extended Stay America - Boston - Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington
HYATT house Boston/Burlington
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
#4 of 6 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston - Billerica

Been to Candlewood Suites Boston-Burlington? Share your experiences!