“Beware electric and plumbing failures known to management but not fixed.”

HYATT house Boston/Burlington
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Burlington
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beware electric and plumbing failures known to management but not fixed.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

On the second day of our weekend stay the cold water in all plumbing fixtures - showers, sinks, even toilets - ran scalding hot. My wife burned her skin. When I reported the problem at the front desk the maintenance person told me the problem was known but no manager was on duty and he had no authority to have it fixed until the next shift of managers arrived. He also casually mentioned the electricity had failed in half the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The fact that my husband and I very much enjoyed our stay at the Hyatt House in Burlington, MA, means a lot given that we were in the Boston area for not-so-nice reasons -- we were visiting a family member who was there to get major medical treatments at the nearby clinic. But the hotel helped so much to make what could have been a very stressful visit a pleasant one instead.
The rooms were large and comfortably set up (we stayed in a 2-bed/2-bath room that also had a living room area and a kitchen). The staff were SUPER friendly and helpful in a genuinely nice way -- that is, not in that fake sales-friendly way that you sometimes get at hotels (to be clear, I have no problem with fake friendly, but real friendly is always better). The complimentary breakfast offered lots of choices (eggs, sausage, toast, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, yogurt, etc) and was much appreciated by us since we had to leave early every day for appointments at the clinic and would've been starving otherwise because there wasn't much time to go somewhere else to grab a bite. There was a DVD player in the room and a small collection of DVDs that you could borrow from the front desk -- a wonderful touch for anyone staying for a longer period of time. The 24-hour fitness room (small but serviceable), business center (computers & printers), and snack shop (snacks & a few grocery items) came in very handy. And though we never used these, there was also a grocery delivery available and various items that you could borrow from the front desk (from blenders to high chairs to board games to yoga mats). The hallways and common areas were always clean and looked after, and they even had quiet hours from 10pm to 6am, which was great for us since, as I mentioned, we weren't there for fun exactly. Guest parking was also easy, free, and plentiful.
The building did seem a bit older -- it showed with things like the somewhat creaky elevator, the faded/frayed carpets in the rooms, the bathtub that drained water very slowly, etc -- but overall, everything seemed well maintained. And if you had an issue, the staff were attentive and quick to help resolve whatever it was.
Even the location in Burlington, MA, was surprisingly good -- grocery stores, drugstores, restaurants, and shopping malls all quite nearby, which is convenient if you're there for an extended stay and need more of the everyday shops vs the touristy stuff. It's a touch far from the tourist attractions of downtown Boston: about 20 minutes with little traffic, so certainly do-able, but I could see it getting to be a bit of a slog if most of what you wanted to do was see Boston sites.
If you're looking for a hotel that will feel like a glamorous, luxury getaway from some episode of "The Fabulous Life of [someone who never seems to be me]" (and that also charges you equally glamorous prices for every little thing) then this isn't it. But if you're looking for a hotel that feels much more homey, with a wonderfully friendly staff and lots of considerate touches/services (and not at considerate prices), then make your reservations here now. Up till my stay here, I'd always been more of a glam hotel fan, but after my stay at the Hyatt House, I found myself thinking that more hotels should be like this one. Thanks, Hyatt House -- all your thoughtfulness was extremely appreciated during a difficult time there.

2 Thank AKelB
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Hyatt House in Burlington is a very nice place. I have stayed there three times in 2013. It has a good atmosphere for relaxing, as well as having good family times. I found the staff to be very committed to making their guests comfortable. The house keeping staff do a very good job. ( just make sure you leave nothing on your bed, cos if you do, they wont touch it).

What I love most about this place is the tranquility of the environment, its quite when you need to work and rest and its very clean so you can just relax when you want to. and oh! the rooms are so large, you feel really at home. The space is worth it

Room Tip: Try not to get rooms with little children above you. Ask at the reception.
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

After a long day my family and I were looking forward to checking in and relaxing. I had booked and paid for 3 months in advance a trio suite which comprises of 2 bedrooms with a king bed in one and 2 doubles in the other for my wife, myself and 3 teenage boys. When I got to the room it was not a trio but a King suite so one bed in each. No mention was made of this at check in so I went to reception to find out why I had not been given the right room. Fortunately Joel had just turned up at reception and explained there was a maintenance issue with the original room, he had emailed me earlier to explain but I had missed it while travelling.
Joel apologised and made me a very fair offer in compensation. One of my boys used the sleeper sofa which he said was fine.
We had a quick bite to eat at the Manager's reception which was good and wish we had ate more as we went out for dinner later at a restaurant nearby and it was not above average as stated.
We all had a great nights sleep, rooms are dark with curtains shut and nice and quiet.
Breakfast was very good, in fact on our trip we went to 6 different hotel breakfasts and this was probably the best.
We never got to try the outside pool but it looked fine, my boys also reported the WiFi was good as this is the most important thing to them!!

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We (2 adults & 2 kids) stayed for five nights while visiting family in the area. Were very pleasantly surprised by the spacious sized rooms. We had the trio suite - 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms in addition to the living room and kitchen. Great set-up with lots of room for spreading out. Main parts of the hotel have been updated. In the guest rooms,the kitchens need updating but are fully functional and included everything we needed and then some.

The breakfast had a big selection including cereal, yogurt, breads/muffins, juice, and coffee. Long line for made-to-order omelets. There's also an evening get-together but we were never around for that.

The hotel offers a workout room, pool, laundry facilities, and a business center where you can pick up wireless remote print jobs. Wireless internet service also provided.

Great location. Convenient to highways and within walking distance of restaurants, shopping, grocery, and drug stores. This was my first stay at a Hyatt House and I will definitely consider them for future stays.

• Stayed August 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were 3 and booked a One bedroom apartment. It was correct... what we expected. The only thing would be that bathroom is inside the bedroom so the person who is sleeping in the sofa-bed has to walk across the bedroom to get there... nothing dramatic though.

The breakfast is complete (juice, fruits, omelette station, bagels, cereals...) but OMG is so chaotic! What they need is simple, has four letters: HOST. People are walking around desperate for a table, is kind of crazy. Anyway, once your are seated the breakfast is great. Be sure you get there before 9.30am.

The pool area is nice... with kids, of course, so don't imagine a chill area :(

Easy access by car to Boston: 20 minutes.

Room Tip: We were in the 3rd floor, room 354. It was kind of far away from the lobby
Hartland, Michigan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a great value for the area. Easy access to Boston. Free parking. It's practically an entire apartment with a separate bedroom, a full kitchen with full-sized appliances. In addition, there's a complimentary snack reception and full hot breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
Sonesta ES Suites Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
Boston Marriott Burlington
#4 of 6 in Burlington
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Woburn
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston - Billerica
Hampton Inn Boston Bedford Burlington

Been to HYATT house Boston/Burlington? Share your experiences!