“Quaint and relaxing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Sea Pines Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brewster
Old Sea Pines Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Brewster B&B and Inns
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Quaint and relaxing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here for a friend's wedding in June and had a lovely time. We were in the Bickford Room on the second floor, which was very nicely decorated in the historic style and had a lot of space. The only downside was that our (private) bathroom was across the hall in front of the stairs to the third floor, but we were provided bathrobes and the bathroom itself was a good size. My friends were in the room next door with 2 twin beds and ensuite bathroom, and their room was also very lovely. I couldn't hear any noise from any of the other guests over the A/C, so I slept well both nights. My favorite spot was the large porch outside with rocking chairs.

Breakfast was average (assortment of breads, eggs, sausage links, fruit) but the dinner at the wedding reception was great, and I was told that Steve (one of the innkeepers) does all the food.

There isn't really a main strip of shops/restaurants in Brewster, unlike other Cape towns, but because of this it was very relaxing to stay in Brewster and it really felt like stepping back into another era. There are a couple seafood places down Main Street in either direction that are very easy to walk to, and we also walked to the beach (about half a mile away). Because we were on the bay side, the water was calm and felt very warm, shocking for mid-June!

The Old Sea Pines is worth a stay, especially in the historic rooms, if you find yourself in Brewster.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

My first stay in Cape Cod was not a disappointment! We attended a wedding and since it was Cape Cod, we decided to make a 4 day weekend out of it.

I'm very weary of B&B's only because of how thin the walls and floors are. I'm a light sleeper and anything will wake me up. This place has solid firm floors and decent doors. I was very impressed. The room we stayed in on the 3rd floor was small but nothing we couldn't handle. Decent beds and nice antique furniture.

We had snacks on the front porch with a nice breeze and breakfast in the mornings on the back porch/patio. We couldn't ask for a better place. The garden out back was rich with smells of flowers and plants and bees buzzing around.

We brought our bikes and they had a place for those as well! A bike rack!!

We got back to the Inn on Saturday night from the wedding we attended... and there just happened to be a wedding reception going on in the Inn. We were a bit surprised by it but once we got to our room, we couldn't hear any noise 2 floors below.

Would I go back? I think so but since this was my first time, I'd like to explore other places. I would definitely recommend to a friend.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachbum13_traveler
Southold
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

My husband and I have stayed at this inn for the past 20 years. The location is perfect and the Innkeepers will bend over backwards to ensure that your stay is pleasant. The Inn, itself, is a special place; a former girls school (for charm and personality!) and it retains a "sense of place". All too rare in this world of sterile Days Inns. We have stayed elsewhere on the Cape- when no rooms were available at Sea Pines- but, to us, the Sea Pines is what the Cape is all about: relaxed, friendly, and the perfect place to decompress.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank northforktraveler404
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

Have stayed in this lovely Inn on many occasions. It has always been top notch and the Inn keepers and Staff are truly awesome. Full of detailed information on all the attractions, side trips, shopping and resturants in the area. A wide variety of rooms, both "historic" and more modern gives you many choices. They also ably host parties, modest sized weddings, group gatherings, etc. Continental and full breakfast in the mornings send you on your days tasks in fine shape. They also host an annual dinner show with a local theater group that is a fabulous treat. Book it early, though as it is usually sold out quickly.

Room Tip: Main Inn has many to choose from and all are on the second or third floor, some with a small sitting...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

My girlfriend and I decided to drive to the East coast for our vacation. This B&B being cheap, seemed like a good place to stay.

The inside was nice. There is one large room in the front with a fireplace and various seats. There is a lap top, which I assume anyone could have used. Breakfast is included. There is an open back porch you could eat it on overlooking gardens. We got the cheap rooms, and when they say they are tiny, they are telling you the truth. They seemed clean enough. I had read on here about bedbugs - no signs, spiders - yes, they were there, and grouchy inn keepers - maybe, we didnt interact with them much.

I would stay here again, the rooms were cheap.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Woodsman4567
nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

This summer, I returned to Old Sea Pines Inn in Brewster, MA for a Girls' Weekend with three friends. None of them had ever been to Cape Cod and I wanted them to experience the charm of this fine B&B. They were very impressed by the accommodations, helpfulness of the owners and staff and the fabulous Dinner Theater (with the wonderfully delicious food and service). The location was perfect for our needs...close to the Church (across the street), great area for early morning walks, shopping, whale watching in Provincetown, everything. I would definitely recommend Old Sea Pines Inn in Brewster to everyone...there's so much to experience in this lovely getaway!

Room Tip: I've been in most rooms over the years and have yet to find one that's not great!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Champaign, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed at Old Sea Pines Inn for 2 nights in August of 2011. I had found the place online and thought it was a good price. I booked 3 rooms for my extended families stay.

Calling to book our rooms, the Inn's owner asked our street address. Upon telling him we lived on Chesapeake Dr, he scoffed at it with disdain in his voice, saying something about "how weird someplace in the middle of the country would choose an name like that" (insinuating that the East coast had prior claims).

I decided to not let this flavor my opinion of the Inn as the guy could have been having an off day.

We arrive to check in and find a charming looking Inn decorated with items from when it was still a school. The lady who owns the Inn, gave us keys to our room and gave us directions on how to get there. Our rooms were VERY small but this was not a big deal, we are just going to be sleeping there. One of our group got a more expensive room with a bathroom attatched, their room was more of a decent size and nicely decorated. Our other rooms were in the more inexpensive portion. We had a double bed and shared 2 bathrooms/ 3 showers with I believe 5 other rooms.

Sharing the bathroom did lead me to wait for the toilet in the morning. Both bathrooms with toilets were taken with people taking showers. If there was another toilet I could have used the Inn keepers failed to tell us about it.

Going into our room, I turned the window air conditioner on full strength as it was a warm day. That night the room was only barely cool enough. My husband was hot. Good thing it wasnt a really hot day.

The bed was by far the worst part of the room. It was so soft when my husband and I laid down, I felt like we were hotdogs inside of a bun. The edges curled up around us. It was terrible. You lay smushed next to the person next to you all night, you could not roll to the edges because they were curled into the air. I woke up with painful neck ache. I told the Inn keeper and she relied that it was a new mattress so didnt know why there would be a problem. She was very unsympathetic.

The other problem with the hotel was spiders. One spider here and there is expected but our room was crawling with them. I awoke to find one crawling across the bed. I looked up and saw two more on the ceiling above us. In our two day visit, I had my husband take care of 6 spiders from our room.

Hotel breakfast was nice. Pancakes, french toast, bacon, hard boiled eggs, a toaster (with a few different types of bread), little boxes of cereal, juice... it was very simple yet lovely.

Oh... I forgot until now one other incident that flavored our trip at the Inn. I asked the female Inn keeper about the beaches. I wanted to swim someplace with more interest than a plain flat sand beach. I was looking for rocks or some other interesting thing to swim around (like vegitation). She explained to me that none of the local beaches had that. I was trying to tell her that we would be willing to drive a good distance but she got very snippy and said in an unpleasant disdainful tone "I cant turn sand into rocks!".

Overall, as charming as the Inn looked from the outside, the Inn keepers were burned out individuals who lacked it. Yes, maybe my Midwesterner self has a different standard than someone on the East coast. However, with the bed being so terrible and crawling with spiders, I would never be able to recomened this hotel -even to my cheap bargain hunter friends.

I would have rather stayed at a Super 8 where I could have at least gotten a good nights sleep. I would not stay here again. Yes, it was cheap, but for a little more money, you could get a much better nights sleep.

Room Tip: Dont get the cheapest rooms unless you dont mind waiting for a toilet, a tiny room and a bad mattres...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank FamilyofFive3456
sbrogf, Owner at Old Sea Pines Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
The miscommunicated, the misunderstood and the misrepresented!

Old Sea Pines Inn is a 24 room Inn, 19 rooms with private bath and 5 small rooms in a private corridor with 3 shared baths. We are sorry they did not ask us about public bathrooms anywhere else in the Inn as we have 3 half baths we thought were obvious on the main floor. The rooms with shared bath selected by our August guests from Champaign, Ill., are our most economical rooms. The are enjoyed of our customers who appreciate the simple, old-fashioned charm at a reasonable cost.When reservations are taken we are very careful to describe the various features of each and every room available. This policy insures that there are "no surprises" when guests arrive.

There is no longevity in the Innkeeping business if the Innkeepers harbor (and express)regional and cultural prejudices. In our 30+ years of operation Old Sea Pines Inn has hosted guests from every state and a remarkable number of foreign countries. To us the joy of Innkeeping has always been in the stimulation, knowledge and fun provided us by these diverse travelers. Guests from the mid-western states have certainly been no exception. We have welcomed, and welcomed back many mid-western guests over the years. In taking a reservation our Innkeepers would never communicate "disdain", they did not do so in the case of the residents of Chesapeake Drive ! We are baffled by this accusation.

This apparent failure to understand our intent seems to have continued throughout the short visit of these guests. Upon Arrival they asked to be directed to the nearest beach with a rocky coastline. I explained that Cape Cod beaches are Sandy and Brewster is very well known for its flats, and that to the best of my knowledge the nearest rocky beach is on Bostons North shore. This information seemed to cause great frustration, somehow this disappointment was misconstrued as our insensitivity to meet there needs. (Later in the day when another innkeeper was asked the same question she told them that she understood the disappointment but "could not turn sand back into rocks" meant to be humorous not disrespectful).

Old Sea Pines' main building, Bickford hall' is listed on the National Register of Historical places. Though of an antique vintage, the rooms in Bickford hall have been carefully renovated and are very well maintained. The Inn also has a long standing reputation for cleanliness. The complaints of "spiders and malfunctioning air-conditioner" were never brought to our attention. Had they been, they would have been addressed immediately. (Guests in the same room before and after their stay did not have any such complaints).

The mattress issue was brought to my attention I was surprised that it was found uncomfortable, being a newly purchased and no one else had found in unsatisfactory. Mattress comfort is often an issue of individual taste. We hastened to make another room available to them with a mattress they may have found firmer. The second room went un-rented yet they never tried it or acknowledged the gesture!

So... Yes, a Super 8 would have been a better choice for the residents of Chesapeake drive, less old-fashioned, less personal, little chance to communicate with the ownership and no chance to express your needs directly. But, after all, isn't the opportunity to publicly issue your complaints, 4 months after the fact, an opportunity not to be missed!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
The Old Manse Inn
The Old Manse Inn
#5 of 9 in Brewster
The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to Old Sea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!