“Good for families” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Sea Pines Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brewster
Old Sea Pines Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Brewster B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Good for families”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

The Old Sea Pines Inn served our family very well. The rates were reasonable. The rooms were very clean and large enough, the beds very comfortable, and the traditional decor looked fresh. Despite staying in summer, the inn felt uncrowded and the inn and grounds were quiet in the evenings. The buffet breakfast was hearty although its preparation was rather standard institutional. Staff was helpful with suggestions of restaurants for dining. Overall, I'd return to stay again.

Room Tip: Our family stayed in three rooms: two in the north cottage, which is farthest from the main road and...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

The weather was lovely (first weekend of the off-season) and I was attending a wedding at Old Sea Pines Inn. The facilities for the wedding were delightful. Lovely space, garden, vibe, decor, and historic feel. The beds were good and the breakfast edible, if you can get to the dining room by 9:30am, as they promptly close down service.

The only actual problem with this place is the man who runs the joint. His wife is fine, not necessarily "friendly", but was helpful and facilitated questions professionally. I'm not really sure if either of them find joy in running a bed and breakfast.

The Innkeeper made sideways remarks in a condescending tone throughout our stay. He was really dry, stale, and acted like a disapproving grandfather. When we went to check out, he was berating another guest in front of us about who-knows-what. Completely off-putting and drab - like being forced to eat day-old toast (without butter). This was my first trip to Cape Cod and if it wasn't for this guy verbally attacking people everywhere he went, it would have been a lovely first impression. Is it really necessary to write a nasty note in red ink and leave it on our door about something that another guest had done wrong? Get your facts straight before you use bold writing and ALL CAPS at your guests!

The service staff at the reception were wonderful (except for a boring and unenthusiastic bartender who at least made strong drinks). Not sure if the Inn was responsible for preparing the meal, but it was an A+ experience on that end.

I would recommend this place for quiet couples, old people, and weary solo travelers. They are really strict about noise control, even though they are positioned right off the highway. Someone staying at the Inn called to say the reception was too loud? Um, its a reception - helloooooo. The tone of which the innkeepers wrote their information book, which is in every room, is pretty ridiculous. Its clear that if you aren't what this salty Innkeeper sees as an ideal customer, you are treated with a healthy dose of unprofessional attitude.

I won't go back and I plan on telling anyone who cares to not stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
      Location
      Rooms
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jeffrey M
sbrogfony, Owner at Old Sea Pines Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Steve and I DO NOT "berate" our customers. "Berated" customers do not equal return guests, of which we have many!

I do believe that this disgruntled guest landed in an environment that he could not understand, one that is not familiar to him. The Old Sea Pines Inn is a very traditional old fashioned New England Inn located in a residential zone of a very lovely historically protected town.Our guests chose us over hotels for these very attributes.

We have successfully hosted great weddings for 25 years, and always try to maintain a balance between the exuberance of a wedding and respect the peaceful quality our non-wedding guest enjoy as well as to our surrounding local neighbors. We seem to regularly achieve a happy atmosphere for all, we are sorry that we could not please this one guest as well.
By the way, that " A+ experience" wedding dinner was made from scratch by our "Salty Innkeeper".

Michele Rowan
Needham, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed here on recommendation of friends. Had a lovely room in the North Cottage. Breakfast buffet was very nice. Would stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2011

We did a lot of research to find a good value, charming and well located inn on Cape Cod. Old Sea Pines certainly met our expectations. We were comfortably situated in a room with shared bath (great value at $85 per night). Breakfast (included in the room price) offered up a lot of choice, though I thought some of the warm dishes were only average. The interior is quaint and the house has beautiful terraces and lawns.

A drawback, in my opinion, is that the house is located off a busy road (Main Street). The frequent cars can be heard from almost any location within the house.

The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheTrueWorldExplorer
Carmel, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband & i and our 19 and 21 year old daughters were visiting the Cape for the first time. After much research on the internet and Trip Advisor, I selected Old Sea Pines. Making reservations on the phone with Michelle was easy and got me very excited to visit. Everything about our saty was perfect! We enjoyed the vacation as it was easy to head in different directions on the Cape. It was quiet, clean and homey. My husband and I stayed in the north cottage; the girls on the third floor of the main inn. When we checked in, Steve told our girls that their room had secret drawers in the dresser filled with love notes - something for them to explore. the rooms were very clean and fresh. Sitting on the front porch at night was relaxing. Breakfast offered a different variety of hot options every day and there was plenty to enjoy. We ate on the outdoor back porch area overlooking the beautiful gardens. this was our fist time staying at an Inn (not a hotel) and we were quite pleased. I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Call and chat with the inn keepers about what your needs are - they have options!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank MFBowers
Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is a reasonably clean and comfortable B&B in a convenient location in Brewster. The grounds are lovely and everyone we interacted with was friendly. The location of our Family Suite, however, was a little problematic as it was directly above the kitchen, which meant a lot of noise and disruption until about 11 PM each night. The layout of the room is great for families with kids -- a double bed and a single bed in one room, a separate bedroom with another bed and portable crib, and a mini-fridge and microwave. (I'd be careful with any curious toddlers, though, as there are some low windows and such.)
Our room was clean, but not spotless, and the furnishings and decor are worn -- for example the wallpaper had begun to yellow and some of the blankets had small holes.

Breakfast was just OK -- a main dish and a selection of fruit, yogurt, cereal, and bread, but no fresh orange juice, granola, or special touches like homemade pastries.

We needed to be in the area for a wedding and this place met our needs and was a good value.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Massachusetts_Member
Cumberland, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

This is the 2nd time my husband and I have stayed at Old Sea Piness Inn in Brewster. The first time was for our sister/sister-in-laws wedding. It is a beautiful old home with tons of charcter, decor, and an all around warm feeling. The hosts are very nice - very friendly and helpful. They are not like the typical bed and breakfast hosts that follow you around taking up your time (but they would be if you want them to - it seems they would do whatever you want them to.) For my husband and I we didn't. We are not typical b&b people. He took me there for my 30th birthday. We stayed in the Garden Suite which is away from the main house, giving plenty of privacy in an old dormatory in the back of the property. This being our 2nd time there we knew what to expect and it was a nice treat to see how little has changed since being there 5 years ago.
Grounds: beautifully landscaped and open for your enjoyment if you want to just kick back on the front porch, on a bench in the yard or in the house.
Main House: Very old with awesome old photos on the walls, you could spend 2 hours just looking at all the old pics hanging and the furniture. (We have never been upstairs in the main house so we can't comment on that) But downstairs gives you this back in time feel and it is nice. They have a huge living room filled with old antique chairs and couches and tables and lamps for gathering and a huge farmers porch on the front of the house with beautiful furniture for a nice evening sit n' chat.
The Banquet/Breakfast room: Very clean, very open and airy with skylights. Nice tables with pretty flowers and windows all around the room.
We have been in one of the family suites for the wedding 5 years ago - it was a new building with rustic charm. Very clean and well kept. It had a main entry bedroom with a huge post bed, dressers, window seat, tv, etc which led to mini hallway where there was the bathroom, VERY nice, and an ironing board and iron. On the other side of that was a "kids" bedroom with two single beds and a dresser and chair. Very nice in there. (Natural wood and forest green accents).
We also had the opportunity of seeing many other rooms in the dormatory building out back during the wedding because all of our family members stayed in there. They were all very nicely decorated and were kept very clean.
The garden suite: Is a white and blue painted (Cape colors) with waynescoat suite. It has a tiny kitchenette (that we didn't even use except for the mini fridge), mini oven, microwave, and a few dishes in cupboards. It has a 4 cup coffee pot (but bring your own coffee and filters, sugar etc.) And a private back entrance as well as main building entrance to your room. The living room has wicker furniture, old fashioned interior window shutters, a flat panel tv (32" I believe) and basic cable. Two small hide-a-bed pull out couches and 2 mini coffee tables. A fire place WHICH I WILL TALK ABOUT LATER ON...................and nice pictures on the wall. It has a huge bathroom (this suite is also wheel chair accessible) with a HUGE stand up shower big enough to fit a wheel chair in and a molded seat. They could probably replace the old rusty shower head to make it really sweet. We had hot water each shower we took, you just had to give it a second to get from the tank to the shower head. Lots of fresh towels (although I would have felt better with pure white towels knowing they had been bleached between uses) that were replaced DAILY by the room attendant. One thing I didn't like (but it made sense for a wheel chair accessible room) was the toilet was one of those super high toilets (I am 5"11 and my feet still dangled, lol). Bring your own soap, shampoo (although hotel travel sizes are available in your room). There is a mini hair dryer in the bathroom too. (I brought my own)
The bedroom has an antique metal bed, queen size, with a FIRM mattress, so firm it was too firm for my husband and I, I ended up taking the egg crate mattress from the fold away bed and putting it in our bed for the remainder of the trip. Very firm pillows (4) and a dresser. There is AC that work GREAT (super cold) in the bedroom and living room too.
Breakfast: A lot of people have written reviews saying the brekafast was horrible, not what they would expect for a homecooked meal....I disagree. Although I wasn't fond of the microwave wrinkled sausages, everything else boasted homecooked food. For one thing, they try to mix it up. We enjoyed 3 days of food there. First day was scrambled eggs & sausage. Coffee and tea, OJ, mini boxes of cereal, any kind of bread you may want for toast, bagels, english muffins, a fresh fruit bowl and yogurts. They have ketchup out (Cuz I am a huge ketchup fan) and pre-packaged syrups, peanut butters, butters, jellies/jams and cream cheeses. 2nd day was cinnamon raisin french toast and sausage ( all else was the same), 3rd day was YUMMY blueberry pancakes, all homemade, delicious!!! and sausage. (as you may be able to tell, I LOVE blueberry pancakes.) and agaiin, all the rest was there. They constantly refill the food from 8-9:30am. It is served buffet style and there are PLENTY of tables to sit at, its not one big table where you eat with other people. Some people like that but we don't...lol. You can sit inside in the room I described above or outside on the beautiful deck which is covered.
The front door is always open so people can come and go as they please. The inn keepers are very dedicated to making sure things are peaceful and quiet for their guests. If you want to PARTY this is not the place. (Except if you're having a wedding and reception there like our family did!)
For the people that complained about a wedding going on, I would suggest you ASK when you make your reservation just to be sure. Also, it reallllly wouldnt hurt for the innkeepers to disclose that information to any other guests when booking.......
Another thing I really wish the innkeepers let us know was that there is a laptop set up in the living room of the main house for use. We had some trouble with our daughter (who was at home with a sick nana) and it really could have come in handy knowing ahead of time that one was available for use. But whatever, it all worked out in the end.
Now back to the Fireplace: The history of this house/grounds/buildings is a girls charm school and dormitory.
On our last night there, I woke up at 3am and went to the bathroom, it awoke my husband who tossed around in bed until something caught his eye in front of the dresser mirror (it was PITCH BLACK in the room) An electric blue haze and smokey look hovered in front of the mirror. I opened the bathroom door to come out (which is in the hallway separate from the bedroom) and he said the haze squeezed down to firefly size bits and swirled around leaving the room in a weird cosmic way. He never told me about this, we slept the next few hours and woke up at 7am. He then told me what happened in the middle of the night, and I wasn't sure to believe him or not since I do not believe in those things...that is UNTIL we were cleaning the room, packing up and I then saw it.
The entire time we were there every morning we would wake up to the smell in our room that someone had been burning a fire in the fire place. It was an overwhelming smell but it had been cold the first 2 nights so I associated it with someone near by burning a wood stove thru the night and having the smell just come thru to the room from outside. The third night there, our last, it was very hot (during that yucky heat wave we got) so we had the ac on. There is no way anyone would have been burning a wood stove over night that night. I was walking the egg crate back to the living room from our bed, my husband was in the shower, and I saw it, in the fireplace, accompanied by the overwhelming - hit you in the face- fire burning smell.......the blue haze cloud and smokey look was then hovering inside the unlit fireplace while the smell of smoke just pummeled me in the face, i dropped the mattress, was frozen and stood there watching it for a split second. As I moved my foot to turn away, the haze went into those little cosmic firefly things and they flew up the chimney. I ran into the bathroom and told my husband, we packed up and got out of there as fast as we could!!!! Like I said, we never believed in that stuff, until you see it for yourself...............creepy!!! (But sort of cool)
Overall, we had a wonderful peaceful time there and I would recommend it to anyone. Bed and breakfasts aren't for everyone, but this is very nice.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HendricksBP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
The Old Manse Inn
The Old Manse Inn
#4 of 9 in Brewster
The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to Old Sea Pines Inn? Share your experiences!