“Great Getaway, Such A Sweet and Helpful Couple and Staff!”

Captain Freeman Inn
Ranked #1 of 10 Brewster B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I stayed here last summer and forgot to write a review when I returned home, until I just found out I might be going back to the Cape Cod area this summer and called my mom to see if she remembered the wonderful B&B we had stayed at .... Saltwinds Bed & Breakfast.

Ginny and Craig are great and gave us (my mom, my aunt, and I) great advice about how to spend our time, and even offered to drive us to the whale watching cruise we had booked! The people they had working for them were also so sweet.

The room was great - especially the deck where we were able to sit out and enjoy the nice weather!

Something specific that stood out was how accommodating they were! I have a nut allergy which can make eating places hard, but I mentioned it to them and they were so helpful and made delicious meals while I was there that I could enjoy. (For those of you with food allergies you know what a nuisance you can feel like making special requests, but they were so great about it!)

If I come back to the area I will definitely be staying at the Saltwinds Bed & Breakfast!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I can't think of one thing I would change about The Captain Freeman Inn.
Donna and Byron have clearly gone to great lengths and used their years of innkeeping experience to pull off the complete package here.

I had eagerly been tracking the Easter weather forecast hoping we could get away to the Cape for a cycling trip and picked the Inn partly due to it's being less than a mile to the rail trail. But found Brewster to be a lovely place to stay regardless of your interest in cycling!
Having clocked up plenty of bicycle miles, we were particularly appreciative of the lavish breakfasts and home cooked treats available throughout the day.

It's plain to see the attention to detail that has been put in here. From the decor and furnishings, to little touches to make your life easier. I realised on un-packing that I had forgotten toothpaste and on mentioning this to Donna was lead to an armoire in the hall that was stuffed full of a choice of pillows and a draw full of little things you may have forgotten.
We only met one other member of staff who was in charge of breakfast, she also had a big welcoming smile on her face. Even their beloved dog Harrison is towing the family line being calm and friendly.

1  Thank Stina_on_her_travels
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Wife and I stayed at this B & B for 2 nights to attend "Provence" french cooking school. Donna and Byron Cain are innkeepers who will continually exceed your expectations. Sat. class was 2 hrs. long and Chef Carol took us through her "clean kitchen" ops. while we prepared a dessert Tart, Salad nicoise (topped with fresh caught yellowfin tuna), and Game hen prep. After a 1 hr. rest, we attended Byron's wonderful wine tasting, where he presented over 9 french wine selections, enjoyed Carol's freshly made Tapanade, and 3 delicious french cheeses. Dinner was served with your choices of wine. Topped off with our personally made pear tart with goat cheese & honey. This was our first stay (of many more to come) at Capt. Freeman Inn. Their rooms are spacious, and comfortable, most with fireplaces. The fine English toiletries and high - end bedding will make your stay very comfortable. The weekend included 2 breakfasts,which were elegant AND very delicious.

Room Tip: Eastham room one of the largest, & very quiet
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Captain Freeman Inn is a wonderful place to spend a vacation anytime of the year. Although the summer waves and bustling restaurants are a big attraction for the Cape in the summer, the winter months bring space and quietude to a busy city-dweller. The Inn is located in downtown Brewster, offering a short walk to the bay along a peaceful, historic road and is directly behind the entertaining Brewster General Store. The rooms are lovely, the treats are sweet and enticing, the teas are warm and calming and the fireplaces attract reading and resting. Donna and Byron are lovely hosts, who's sense of humor and care feed the soul of the inn. Nathan, the innkeeper, is a pleasure to spend time with. Esperanza's breakfasts are fresh, beautiful and unique. The changes made to this inn since Donna and Byron purchased it are superb. A home away from home. I will definitely be back again and again.

Room Tip: The Brewster room is my favorite. Each room is unique in taste and design. The rooms in the back o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Captain Freeman Inn is a wonderful place to stay while you visit the Cape. The Inn is nicely located in Brewster near Breakwater Beach and many nice restaurants. The Inn itself is very comfortable, clean, and nicely decorated. The staff is so friendly and helpful. They treat you like family! Breakfast in the morning is a delicious treat! You will be so happy to stay at the Captain Freeman Inn. We can't wait to stay again!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Wellfleet room! GORGEOUS room with nice whirlpool tub!
Reviewed February 20, 2013

When we first ventured to Cape Cod in 1990, we had heard that the Captain Freeman Inn was one of THE places to stay, and having found other B&B’s to try in the meantime, we never even visited the CFI. Two years ago when Donna and Byron Cain (of Brewster By The Sea fame) purchased the CFI and invited us to stop by to inspect their revisions-in-progress, one look revealed that much capital and sweat equity would be required to bring the property up to any reasonable level of habitation. However, all that hard work has paid off, and the Inn has been given a new lease on life, with the Cains executing a well-mapped out plan to make this one of the top lodging destinations on the Cape. Much attention has been paid to restoration or preservation of stately hardwood flooring and ornamentation such as chandelier ceiling medallions, yet nothing has been sacrificed to provide in-room comfort. Most rooms have abundant floor space, and the openness of the dining areas and parlor offer much relief from claustrophobia. This opinion is offered from personal experience during our stay, which coincided with the blizzard of Presidents’ Weekend when it was too inclement to venture outside. With plenty of space to stretch out in the Mashpee Room and lounge in the parlor, there was never of feeling of being boxed in. The Cains also continue their tradition of serving fine breakfasts and afternoon treats, now augmented by the contributions of Esperanza, their assistant who is proving to be a welcome addition to the innkeeping staff. After nine consecutive years at Brewster By The Sea, our first experience at the CFI has made the choice suddenly difficult between picking a tried-and-true favorite or casting our lot with the rejuvenated inn located directly behind the Brewster General Store. Give it a try and decide for yourself!

Room Tip: The Mashpee Room was spacious and very quiet - enjoy the comfort of the gas-fueled stove!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We chose the Captain Freeman Inn for a trip in 1986. My husband surprised me with a birthday trip to Cape Cod this past August. Again, he chose the Captain Freeman Inn. It was delightful! Some things had obviously changed over time, but it was all I remembered and more. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The owners were great with wonderful restaurant ideas. The rooms were nicely decorated, very clean, and comfortable. Breakfast every morning was a treat!

We recently moved to NYC from the midwest. The Cape is a place we will definitely return to. It would be nice to explore other areas, but when you know such a wonderful place who wants to take the chance!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
Chatham Inn At 359 Main
#1 of 63 in Provincetown
The Old Manse Inn
The Old Manse Inn
#3 of 10 in Brewster

Been to Captain Freeman Inn? Share your experiences!