“Peddler's Cafe and Grill is my favorite restaurant on Cape Cod”

Peddler's Cafe & Grill
Ranked #21 of 41 Restaurants in Brewster
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner
Brewster, Massachusetts
“Peddler's Cafe and Grill is my favorite restaurant on Cape Cod”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This restaurant is small and charming and is reminiscent of a French countryside auberge. It is owned and run by a husband (who is an experienced chef from Provence) and his wife and, in the summer, their delightful son and daughter often come up from NYC to help out. The food is always fresh and delicious and cooked to order, often brought to table by the chef himself. Local produce is used when seasonally available. Menu items change and are a la carte. Tables are nestled in a homey room among plants, Frence country pottery and fairy lights. It is friendly and intimate and is easy to spend an hour or two relaxing over a delightful dinner.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Romantic candlelit setting perfect for superb classic entrees”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Peddler's Bistro is an enchanting little restaurant with excellent entrees. We went for Valentine's Day dinner so in the winter it was lovely to find the warmth of this candlelit bistro with no huge crowd. I've heard it is different with summer crowds and the restaurant''s fans. We enjoyed the sole with vegetables served right in the pan, we enjoyed the soft French music, and the whole step back in time experience. Expensive and worth it. ( we liked it so much I almost hesitated sharing the secret but I like to support local chef/owners.) Only go if you are ready to slow down and savor.(no reservations and ONLY Am Express cards) Enjoy a special night out; leaving the plugged -in world outside.

• Visited February 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Perfect Evening”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We have eaten at Peddler's Cafe a number of times and each time the food has been outstanding. The ambiance is warm and inviting and the service is always wonderful. The food is always served piping hot which rarely happens when we dine out. It is by far my favorite spot to eat on the Cape, and for that matter anywhere!

New York City, New York
“Great French food in a New England atmosphere”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Living in NYC and having travelled the world, I have been fortunate to experience great dining experiences from hole in the wall restaurants in third world countries to 3 star Michellin restaurants in NYC and Europe. I had heard quite a bit about Peddler's from locals in the area with good reviews on tripadvisor,and so my wife and I decided to give it a try.

Upon first impression, we were at first struck by the dim almost cluttered decor. Not quite the open air brightly lit modern ambience that I have come to expect in many fine dining establishments. We were greeted by the owner (chef, Alan) and were seated immediately in a nice cozy corner. After sitting down for a while, we realized that the decor and the lighting is what brings charm to this place. It's the ambience that made me feel like I was in Cape Cod and not in midtown Manhattan. I was greeted by the owner and there was a warmth to the place, and that was the whole point of this place. In sharp contrast to the cold at times fake pretentious ambience in 'fining french dining' establishments in the big cities.

My order:
-Nice warm bread with olive oil.
1. The escargot and must say that it was absolutely divine! It was served in a buttery garlic sauce and had to be one of the tastiest escargot I've ever had. The escargot was not rubbery and tasted fresh. The butter didn't mask the taste, but rather complemented it.
2. My main course was the Sole which was served in an iron skillet. Cool! Again, another very unconventional presentation, but loved the originality. The fish was what you would expect, fresh and tasty.
3. The dessert: homemade Pistachio ice cream. wow!

Our waitress was wonderful and the service was pretty quick for a busy friday night. We had a truly unique experience with a restaurant that was a beautiful fusion of the French and New England experience.

“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We may have hit the restaurant on a down night, as we've heard great reviews, but right from the beginning, it was just a disappointment.
My salad was dripping with dressing; the sole was bland and was heavy and oily rather than lemony and buttery. It felt like it was "home-cooked" rather than fine French cuisine.
The service was no better- again, it very well could have been a down night- still, it was supposed to be a special night for us and for almost $200. For two, we were not treated specially. We were brought someone else's soup by mistake. We had to ask what the specials were. Our waitress asked if we'd like anything else before offering dessert, and never did offer coffee. It felt like she was in a hurry to leave, or maybe distracted. At any rate, it wasn't the special night we'd hoped for.

• Visited November 2013