“A glimpse into old Cape Cod!”
Review of Crosby Mansion

Crosby Mansion
Ranked #12 of 27 things to do in Brewster
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand Victorian mansion built around a Cape Cod cottage.
CT
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“A glimpse into old Cape Cod!”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Crosby Mansion is beautiful! As you walk up the path from the parking lot, your jaw drops as you see a beautiful yellow Victorian mansion. I've been coming to this mansion since I was a little child, and I love the place. The tour guides are extremely informative and tell you great little facts about the Crosby family. The Crosby Mansion is unique because it wasn't always a mansion. At first, it was just a small little Cape Cod cottage, and then Albert Crosby's new bride decided she wanted a Victorian mansion. Not wanting to demolish his childhood home, Albert built the mansion around the cottage! The volunteers work so hard to restore this mansion. It was going to be torn down, but then it was saved. They work long hard hours in the hot summer sun for absolutely no pay. Head to the Crosby Mansion for a glimpse into a bygone era!

10 Thank CTCharlie

Dennis, MA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Charming”
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I have watched the Crosby Mansion slowly evolve over the years. There are no emplyees only devoted volunteers trying to save a bit of history that was going to be torn down by the state? (or maybe national park service?) It is only opened every other Sunday in the months of July and August. So if you are lucky for a few dollars you can have a glimpse of an era gone by. No there are no bathrooms... but this is not a restaraunt or an amusement park. So void before you go. This isn't a tourisat attraction or a business, the only purpose here is to resore a lovely old mansion. Aren't they very kind to volunteer 4 or so days in the summer and share this glorious home with us all? The other (bathroom) reviewer???? PSSHHHT!

13 Thank Ellie_02660Dennis_MA
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“No Bathrooms! Don't waste your time...”
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Ah, visiting the Crosby Mansion on a hot summer's day: My mother and I arrived, saw no signage as to how/where to enter, so we walked across an expanse of grass to the entrance to wait for my sister. But then I had to pee. I asked an employee where the restrooms were. He said there were no restrooms (!). I'd have to walk 100 yds. down the road to the beach. Whoa! So I traipsed across the lawn, looked down the street, but saw no beach. I got in my car and drove. Way more than 100 yds. Looked for the bathroom "shack." Nada. There was simply a Port-a-Potty! I gingerly entered - no toilet paper. Back to the car for some Kleenex, then back to the smelly Port-A-Potty. It was the grossest Port-a-Potty EVER, but I had to go. I made my way back to the mansion. My sister had arrived. She was mortified about the toilet situation. But we toured the mansion, making the best of it. Yet by now we were so bitter about the whole thing we couldn't enjoy it. We asked why no bathrooms, and were told that a new septic system would cost $250,000, which was not in the budget. How do the employees, um, relieve themselves? An employee said each has a coffee can with her name on it!! Now we learned that the staff has to pee and poop in coffee cans!? OMG. By now we were beyond perspiring, as there was no A/C, of course. The mansion was refurbished fairly well - some areas better than others - and as an antique mansion with some history, it proved to be somewhat interesting, and there were many rooms to explore. One nice touch was that they'd hung Victorian-era women's dresses and underthings in some walk-in closets. Also, some architectural details were impressive. It still needs a LOT of work, however, and the whole thing wasn't worth any more than the $3 suggested donation. Even if there were restrooms, I would recommend it only to those who really love the grand old mansions. But as a fun thing to do? Nope. Go to the beach instead.

5 Thank SwanPond