“most people are not aware of this Mansion”
Review of Crosby Mansion

Crosby Mansion
Ranked #12 of 28 things to do in Brewster
More attraction details
Owner description: Grand Victorian mansion built around a Cape Cod cottage.
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This is a special place that the town of Brewster as well as the State Of Mass have made some grant Money to fix up and the local people have done a great job in fixing it up.

Reviewed May 13, 2011

On a trip to Cape Cod driving through Brewster I came across a hidden treasure. Out of curiosity we drove down Crosby Lane off Rt 6A across from Nickerson State Park and discovered the Crosby Mansion. Knowing that it was not my ancestral home, but sharing the same name, and as a lover of history, I wanted to see more of it. The area was deserted but we walked around the property of this large and unusual house.
Driving further down Rt 6A we stopped at the Brewster General Store and, after talking to the locals, purchased a copy of a fictional novel by Brewster author Dorothy D. Leone, Where The Herring Run, (459 pages, iUniverse, Inc.) which is based on the life story of Albert Crosby who grew up in Brewster, made his fortune in Chicago, and returned to Brewster in 1888 to build this opulent mansion for his second wife, wrapped around his modest childhood family home. On a later visit after reading the novel, and even more curious about the house, I was able to visit on a day when the local volunteer group, who call themselves Friends of the Crosby Mansion, were working on the restoration process. Ginny Locke is one of the founding members of the volunteer group and it was her son Brian Locke who in 1991 had the vision to save the empty and decaying mansion.
The mansion, which Albert Crosby had named Tawasentha, was in disrepair after years of neglect, was acquired along with surrounding beachfront property, in 1985 by the state of Massachusetts as an adjunct to Nickerson State Park. After lobbying by the Friends of Crosby Mansion, officially formed in 1992, the town of Brewster obtained a long term lease that enables it to use proceeds from beach cottage rentals to pay for restoration. Fundraising events and open houses also help raise funds. The first two floors of the mansion are completely renovated and now work has begun on the third floor. Much of the period furniture and accessories have been donated. It is a house within a house, and as you step from one to the other you are stepping into another period, which is reflected in the furnishings and decor.
The novel includes the factual history of Albert Crosby’s life, although much of the story is fictionalized, it is a wonderfully colorful saga. The descriptions of his early life in Cape Cod, then Crosby’s quest for financial independence, his successful brewery, his love of the Chicago Opera House, which he acquired from his cousin, and the disastrous Chicago Fire in 1871. It’s a fascinating, page turning story which deserves more attention, and has all the ingredients of a television mini-series or a movie. A percentage of the proceeds from the sale of the book are donated to the Friends of Crosby Mansion
This is the author’s first novel, a life long ambition inspired by her fascination with the Crosby Mansion. I was fortunate enough to meet Dorothy Leone on one of my trips to the Mansion, and she kindly autographed my copy of her book.
The Crosby Mansion is open to the public by appointment and on special days in the summer and around Christmas time. It has also been made available for weddings.
Friends of the Crosby Mansion may be reached at [---]

17  Thank PoeticVic
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Crosby Mansion is beautiful! As you walk up the path from the parking lot, your jaw drops as you see a beautiful yellow Victorian mansion. I've been coming to this mansion since I was a little child, and I love the place. The tour guides are extremely informative and tell you great little facts about the Crosby family. The Crosby Mansion is unique because it wasn't always a mansion. At first, it was just a small little Cape Cod cottage, and then Albert Crosby's new bride decided she wanted a Victorian mansion. Not wanting to demolish his childhood home, Albert built the mansion around the cottage! The volunteers work so hard to restore this mansion. It was going to be torn down, but then it was saved. They work long hard hours in the hot summer sun for absolutely no pay. Head to the Crosby Mansion for a glimpse into a bygone era!

10  Thank CTCharlie
Reviewed September 3, 2009

I have watched the Crosby Mansion slowly evolve over the years. There are no emplyees only devoted volunteers trying to save a bit of history that was going to be torn down by the state? (or maybe national park service?) It is only opened every other Sunday in the months of July and August. So if you are lucky for a few dollars you can have a glimpse of an era gone by. No there are no bathrooms... but this is not a restaraunt or an amusement park. So void before you go. This isn't a tourisat attraction or a business, the only purpose here is to resore a lovely old mansion. Aren't they very kind to volunteer 4 or so days in the summer and share this glorious home with us all? The other (bathroom) reviewer???? PSSHHHT!

13  Thank Ellie_02660Dennis_MA
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Ah, visiting the Crosby Mansion on a hot summer's day: My mother and I arrived, saw no signage as to how/where to enter, so we walked across an expanse of grass to the entrance to wait for my sister. But then I had to pee. I asked an employee where the restrooms were. He said there were no restrooms (!). I'd have to walk 100 yds. down the road to the beach. Whoa! So I traipsed across the lawn, looked down the street, but saw no beach. I got in my car and drove. Way more than 100 yds. Looked for the bathroom "shack." Nada. There was simply a Port-a-Potty! I gingerly entered - no toilet paper. Back to the car for some Kleenex, then back to the smelly Port-A-Potty. It was the grossest Port-a-Potty EVER, but I had to go. I made my way back to the mansion. My sister had arrived. She was mortified about the toilet situation. But we toured the mansion, making the best of it. Yet by now we were so bitter about the whole thing we couldn't enjoy it. We asked why no bathrooms, and were told that a new septic system would cost $250,000, which was not in the budget. How do the employees, um, relieve themselves? An employee said each has a coffee can with her name on it!! Now we learned that the staff has to pee and poop in coffee cans!? OMG. By now we were beyond perspiring, as there was no A/C, of course. The mansion was refurbished fairly well - some areas better than others - and as an antique mansion with some history, it proved to be somewhat interesting, and there were many rooms to explore. One nice touch was that they'd hung Victorian-era women's dresses and underthings in some walk-in closets. Also, some architectural details were impressive. It still needs a LOT of work, however, and the whole thing wasn't worth any more than the $3 suggested donation. Even if there were restrooms, I would recommend it only to those who really love the grand old mansions. But as a fun thing to do? Nope. Go to the beach instead.

5  Thank SwanPond