“Slow round and horrible attitude”

The Captains Golf Course
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I played here last Friday with my father. It was the first time for both of us. It took 5 1/2 hrs to play 18 holes which is just outrageous! That being said the real bummer was the attitude of the cart staff particularly the ginger fella. My father who has parkinsons disease needs a cart to get around a course. So when our cart was not starting on every other hole (a few times it took 5 minutes to get going). I did not want to hold people up behind us so I called to have another brought out. Easy enough right?.....Wrong! I was met by a this putz who proceeded to tell me there was nothing wrong with the cart in an aggressive attitude when I said "hope you make it back driving that thing!" I was trying to be polite and funny. oh well...can't please everyone. But that was not the last time we would run into him, as upon the finish of our round we had to return said cart and he managed to throw another jab at us by loudly discussing how he "Often has to drive out a few times a week to get carts from people cause they think the cart is broken and they never are. Hey newsflash guy, your in customer service, do your job provide working machines and have a good attitude. Thanks for ruining our day. Never going back

1  Thank jetaylr

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We played the original 18 for some years after its 1985 inception as one of the top public golf courses in the US, designed by Silva and Cornish. The 36 hole expansion, dividing and incorporating the original 18 worked nicely. Given the amount of public play, the courses, Port and Starboard, are in terrific condition. $90 to play to the general public, including cart.
Really nice facility. You can book in advance. We play early and in four hours. Nice place to enjoy Cape Cod Golf. Highly recommended.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a public course that is owned by the town of Brewster. A variety of rates are available depending on what time to play. Captains has two 18 hole par 4 courses side by side. Many people come and play one course in the morning and turn around and play the other one in the afternoon.
Both courses are challenging and yet very playable. The Starboard course is considered the easier of the two. If you don't have time to play all 18 you can easily play 9.
Playing the Port side you might think you have the course under control but wait until you get to holes 6, 7, and 8. No matter how well you are playing those three holes will get you a higher score.
Walking any golf course is always the better way to play although there are golf carts available if you prefer to ride. A caution note regarding walking is that there are so pretty steep hills to walk so at the very least have a push cart for your bag.
The courses are scenic and have some nice elevated tees particularly on the par 3 holes. Not a lot of water but there are some challenging deep gulches to cross either with a tee shot or a fairway shot.
They do have family tees on the course if you want to bring the family out to play.
There are plenty drinking water jugs around the course. They don't seem to mind in you bring your own non-alcohol beverage.
The restaurant at the course is very good and very quick. Pricing is reasonable.
The pro shop is well stocked and the staff is very friendly as well.
Lessons are available from two very nice pros and there two putting greens available to practice on before heading out to the course.
The driving range is not at the course but close by but you will need to drive your car there. The ball machine takes tokens that you can buy at the range.
Rates are reasonable and if you get teamed up with some other players who are members you are sure to find them friendly and helpful.
I usually find that playing in the later afternoon makes for more fun as most people have left already.
If your significant other doesn't play but would like to ride in the cart with you, they are always welcome. There is a small fee for riders. No cost if they walk with you.
This is a great course that is fun to play, please replace all divets and repair all play marks so that it continues to be a great course.
I enjoy being a member here and hope to meet you on the course one day.

1  Thank ThirdStarToTheRight
Reviewed December 31, 2013

Played here summer of 2013...course was in good shape and had some very difficult holes. Will definitely be playing this course again if I get back to the cape this summer. Pace of play was very good for a Saturday afternoon, didn't have a wait on any hole until the last few.

The only bad thing I would say about the course was that the starter had an attitude with our group of 3 because the people in front of us were late for their tee time pushing us back, but we still got the attitude.

The other thing was we did not see a drink cart on the course once, and when we stopped for beers at the turn, we were given beers in plastic cups that we had to put tops on with no ice.

Other than that, course is awesome and definitely a must play at the Cape!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Well maintained course, great value, very challenging holes. Only negative was that we had to wait to tee-off later than our appointed time due to a backflow of golfers.