“There is a reason Nickerson is booked solid 6 months in advance”

Nickerson State Park
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Brewster
Reviewed July 5, 2010

This is the best campground on the cape. You can find fancier campground but you'll be paying hotel rates to stay at them. You have to plan early to get a site at this campground, 6 months early to be exact. It will be fully booked in about two weeks of the site availability opening up. I've only camped in area 6, and while driving around looks like the other areas are all about the same. The sites are close together, you are not out in the woods alone but because of that my boys easily find other kids to play with. They love riding their bikes around the sites. The facilities are standard for state parks so just clean enough with just barely enough water pressure. But they have recently redone all of the shower houses so they should be in great shape. I like area 6 because its up on a hill and for some reason has very little mosquitoes. We can walk down the hill to swim in the lakes each day. The sites are semi-shady and don't get too hot for tents in the summer. We walk down to little cliff pond and are able to take the dogs swimming with us. I suggest this campground to everyone who is just starting out tent camping, your not out in the middle of the woods swatting mosquitoes and dealing with dirt but you are not in the middle of RV world with generators going all around you. Also because of its not alcohol policy you might actually get to sleep at night without loud drunks partying next to you all night.

10  Thank TravelerWithFour
All reviews
"the cape cod rail trail"
in 20 reviews
"paddle boards"
"camping"
in 68 reviews

Reviewed December 27, 2006

My husband's family camped at Nickerson since he was 9 yrs. old. We have been camping for 20 years as Mr. & Mrs. and we continue to look forward to these trips to the Cape. Area "4"is the best in our opinion, but we will camp anywhere because of the location to the things we love so much. It has changed over the years, and the "amenities" are certainly not as terrific as they were years ago -- but it is still a fabulous camping location. Young and old can enjoy themselves at Nickerson and the bike trails are like no other. We will continue to camp here as long as we are vertical!!! Many wonderful memories have been made on the Cape and hopefully there will be many more. Now that we are grandparents we are looking forward to being part of our grandchildren's early camping escapades....... who can deny that Nickerson is the best place for that!!! You can have it all - the camping, the ocean, sight-seeing, historical features, unbelievable cuisine with everything from burger's to THE most amazing seafood. So much to do............if that is what you want....OR ........just haning in camp is terrific when your "based" at a place like Nickerson. Try it...........you'll like it........if you are TRULY into the camping experience.

9  Thank Peachiejw
Reviewed June 9, 2006

I love Nickerson State Park. I've camped there since 1981, and I have always found it beautiful, very affordable, entertaining, and just relaxing. I tent camp, but RVs are welcome, and they also offer yurts. There are clean ponds with clear water for swimming, fishing, and boating. You are near the ocean and all that Cape Cod has to offer. My visits have always been positive, and I hope to return this coming summer.

12  Thank lois g
A TripAdvisor Member
Lawton, PA
Reviewed January 20, 2006

The camping at Nickerson is great. The sites are set amongst the trees and offer a great view of the lake, which is good for all types of water recreation. It's central location in the mid-cape puts you close to everything should you decide to leave the park, although you certainly could spend your whole vacation right there. I fell in love with the Cape and visit every year to camp at Nickerson.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Awesome for Mountain Biking ( Paved trails and Single forest trails everywhere)Also access to the Cape Cod Rail Trail. 2 big beautiful lakes for fishing,boating and swimming. Excellent Beach on Cape Cod Bay across the street or drive on down to the ocean which is only 3 miles away. Supermarket, Liquor stores and Pharmacies minutes away... The only downside would be the showers and bathrooms. Campsites are big and quiet... please email me at xkorn2215x@aol.com if you have any questions.

12  Thank Shawn D