“This place is OK, depending on what you like, but not really great”

The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Brewster
Reviewed April 3, 2006

I stayed at the Ocean Edge for a family gathering. I will not speak to the value, as my room and extras were paid for and I really have no idea how much they were.

If, when you go to the Cape, you want to stay somewhere that is really beachy, cottage-y, and looks like a postcard from the Cape, do not stay here. You will be disappointed.

If you want to be somewhere with modern comforts, a pool, coffee-maker in room, air-conditioning, golf, typical hotel restaurant, and the ability to get to the beach without hiking through the dunes (they have walkways), then you will like the resort.

The food was acceptable (desserts and salads were really good). I agree with the previous reviewer that many dishes here seemed to have a lot of salt!!!

The mansion and grounds are beautiful, but most rooms are in modern, clean, well-maintained additions to the mansion.

Two of our 6 rooms had a musty smell, one really bad and the other just mildly annoying.

It has a good location, right on the beach and also on a cute main road with some old-style Cape Cod shops.

It was pretty good, but I prefer the quaint old inns of Cape Cod or a beach cabin instead.

• Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank WillieLoman
There are newer reviews for The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed February 15, 2006

We booked our reservation online and picked an "oceanview" room per the website. (I just checked the website and they have changed the language) Upon check-in, I tried to confirm our reservation was "oceanview", and the womans response was "we do not have any rooms that view the ocean here". When I told her about the website she said she hadn't seen it Her attitude was almost rude, which was not a good start.
The room was nice, it was a 2 bedroom villa on the bay side. It had a fireplace, and the staff came by both nights and started it for us. The furniture was nice 5 years ago, but all the chairs were stained and worn.
The food was very good, we had a dinner package, service was great too. There was a great bartender and a nice concierge who took the sting out of the woman at the front desk.
We checked out and they tried to double bill us for the weekend, and they couldn't fix it before we left. We did get a call a few days later saying it was straightened out.
I do not feel the experience was worth the $, so I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2006
9  Thank Stephanie L
Reviewed January 29, 2006

January, 2006

I just returned from an overnight stay at Ocean Edge. I found it to be a beautiful development. The grounds are very nice. The main buildings are absolutely beautiful and have a nice Old New England feel. I found my room to be very well furnished, spotless and clean with a beautiful bathroom and wonderful shower. And the walk to the beach was literally 5 minutes. This turned out to be a very relaxing and enjoyable getaway. We did not eat at Ocean Edge but traveled to Orleans and ate at the Orleans Inn dining room. That was also a wonderful treat.

I highly recommend Ocean Edge.

8  Thank Gail091350
A TripAdvisor Member
Celebration, Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2006

We spent two nights at the Ocean Edge Resort & Club on Cape Cod. The mansion part of the hotel is magnificent, unfortunately the rooms are very noisy.

We also made the mistake of going to breakfast at their Ocean Grille restaurant; for Cheerios, eggs and bacon we were charged $50.00 per person. No signs and no warning about the expensive cost of breakfast until the bill is presented.

• Stayed: December 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 12, 2005

CHECK-IN: I attended a meeting at the Ocean Edge Resort at the end of Sept 2005. The main mansion was pretty and historic, where I checked in. Though my reservation was under a group list, it was not to be found in the computer...no explanation given as to discrepency. It took me 20 minutes to check-in at a non-peak time (1pm), only 1 person was at the registration desk. Parking for the mansion 100 ft away in a small lot.
ROOM: I stayed in one of the 1BR villas in the Arbor village, which were condo-type units on the golf course side of the resort, far from the ocean (requires a drive, but shuttle service is provided if needed). The room I was given was on the second level and smelled musty from the rainy weather, was furnished worn Cape-style furniture. Villa was large with plenty of space with a separate living room w/ kitchenette and bedroom. I didn't really need or use the kitchen in the villa. Balcony overlooked the golf course.
MEETING FACILITIES: The Bay Pines Pavillion conference room was spacious but with a howling wind outside, the tent kept swaying and making lots of noise, which was very distracting during the meeting. It was much better the second day when the wind died down. The Addie Nickerson Room, where we had dinner, would have been much more accommodating for a meeting room- it has a nice balcony that overlooks the resort.
FOOD: Bayzo's pub has good chowder but their crabcakes tasted like it had a cup of salt in it. I sent it back b/c it was literally inedible. The waitress made me order something else, so I ordered a turkey sandwich, thinking it couldn't be that hard to make one. Wrong- the bread was stale, turkey was salty, tomatoes were not ripe, lettuce was slimy, chips were stale. The pub itself has a lot of character- has a pool table and TV for entertainment. I did not eat in the main restaurant. From the meeting, the seafood dinner was mixed- good lobster, bad clams and bland side dishes. Other non-seafood dishes were edible but by no means were they fancy or especially good. Desserts were good- chocolate mousse, cakes and cobblers.
SERVICE: Service was responsive but not particularly accommodating, friendly, or attentive that you would expect from a five star resort. We had an evening bonfire- The beach was nice, a short walk down a short poorly-lit path. The activities crew that set up the bonfire looked put out each time we requested anything- call for a shuttle, more wood for the fire. We paid for chairs and sodas to be brought to the beach, which were not. Pools were closed at this time of year.

• Stayed: September 2005, traveled on business
7  Thank My_Pseudonym
Reviewed September 6, 2005

We had the opportunity to stay at the Ocean Edge during Labor Day weekend '05 with our two children aged 5 and 7.

Put simply, overall the vacation exceeded our expectations, especially given all of the negativity in the previous reviews of this season. We like the place and the people. it was a terrific first time at the cape for our family.

Let me say upfront that Ocean Edge is essentially a conference center set centrally and brilliantly in Cape Cod. So, if you accept that with the good and bad that comes from it, you will have an excellent stay. It seems that many of the bad reviews were from people who either didnt do their research on the resort OR had unrealistic expectations for a resort of this size.

What makes it good are the things that are its limitations.

Size and Scope:

on the plus side: many many almost unlimited resources such as pools, beach access, buffet meals, internet access, kids day camp etc; the staff is terrific and cares a lot. the clam bake and marshmellow roast were highlights! we didnt like our room when we arrived and with one simple, polite call to the front desk (amy buchannan, reservations manager) our problems were solved with a terrific upgrade from siberia (across 6A) to times square (bay pine villas)! let me be clear that the deal was for the golf area villas, but we knew that in advance and were resigned for that at a great room rate.

on the downside: many of the rooms are worn out; its a very large and overwhelming grounds; this weekend there were multiple weddings; several requests for newspapers, bikes went neglected or unanswered perhaps due to demand or end of the summer.

overall, this was a great place to take the family for the first trip cape bound. we probably would rent a private home for a week if we were to go again, just so we can be closer to the ocean than for any other particular reason.

give Ocean Edge a shot, especially if youre going on a family reunion or with other families, you wont be disapointed!

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank ScottTravel
A TripAdvisor Member
Chelmsford, MA
Reviewed August 29, 2005

We made the mistake of keeping our reservation at this resort, even after reading the very accurate negative reviews. We checked into a one bedroom villa in the Britterige Village, and felt as if the $350 price tag had to be a joke. Aside from the cheap decor, thin walls, and very dirty, smelly accomodations, we were in the middle of nowhere, miles from the water at the Cape's "Premier Ocean front resort." A short shuttle ride to the beach? Ridiculous for the price you pay.
We called the front desk to complain about the room's condition, and we were immediately moved to another one bedroom villa in the Arbor Village. The room was a drastic improvement, similar to the picture you see on the website, but do not be fooled - there is no ocean view from these villas. Arbor Village is even further away from the water. This room was cleaner, but the walls had spackle on them, the rugs were stained, the dishes and dishwasher were dirty, and the room smelled musty.
We were too tired to move again, so in the morning decided to check out.
aware that the accomodations are sub-par and made every effort to make us happy. Unfortunately, checking out after only one night, and spending the remainder of our vacation at home was a better option for us.
The main resort area was quite nice, and if you are not looking for something with a separate bedroom, perhaps would be a nice option. However, I will never stay at the Ocean Edge resort again, nor would I reccommend it to anyone. Travelers be warned.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brewster
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa
#4 of 21 in South Yarmouth
Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth

Been to The Villages at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!