“All in all it was a nice stay, but the Candlewood Suites did not offer a couple of amenities I've come to expect.”

Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Braintree
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Candlewood Suites was one of a hand-full of hotels recommended to us by the coordinators of the lacrosse tournament our son was competing in this past weekend. The hotel including our room was clean, the staff was friendly and efficient (easy check- in and -out; we were also allowed an early check-in when we arrived), there was plenty of parking, the room was quiet, and the kitchenette was fully stocked with everything one would need to prepare a snack or a meal. In addition, the hotel had Wi-Fi available at no charge and the hotel was conveniently located to where we were going for the tournament as well as getting to and from Boston Logan International Airport.
On the down-side I found the hotel to be located, along with a few other hotels, in an industrial area, there was not a restaurant on the premises nor was there one open close to the hotel (there were 2 restaurants on Wood Road that we noticed - one was a German restaurant but it was closed for dinner on Saturday and the other was a deli which was likewise closed, I believe, all day on Saturday), there wasn't a swimming pool, and the hotel did not have a business office so we could print out our boarding passes (although the young lady who checked us in offered to print our boarding passes out for us if we'd e-mail her copies of our boarding passes...WOW!).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LaxMom39

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Troy, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was trying to economize and this was the best I could do with little advance planning. The location is near I 93 and close to a major shopping mall with an abundance of chain dining options. Boston hotels are generally pretty expensive---even weekend specials. I don't think I have ever stayed at a Candlewood before. They are set up for extended stay with a fridge and basic kitchen utensils. The room was clean although a bit knocked up. I am fairly persnickety about bed firmness and pillows and I was satisfied on both scores despite complaints from some other reviewers. I used the iron and ironing board and both appeared brand new. They had HBO but not a lot of other choices on cable. One thing: I like a beer in the evening and there is no carryout or supermarket nearby. Buy your beer or wine before you get in this neighborhood. oh, rooms are only cleaned weekly. If you need something, you need to go to the desk.

Room Tip: quiet area at night---mostly warehouses. No restaurants in walking distance
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'll first say that sometimes I think people might have reviewed the wrong hotel. If you think this hotel is bad, then maybe people have stayed at constant $200+ hotels. This one cost under 140 (wont give exact price due to prices always changing), and honestly, has been the best "long stay" hotel I have stayed at.

First some things. Not to attack what others have said, but my experience was different. The smoking and non-smoking rooms are separated, and they charge you $200 if you smoke in a non-smoking. As someone who can't stand the smell of smoke, I made sure to check when I first entered my room (stayed on the 3rd floor). No smoke smell. No smell at all which means it is usually clean.

Now the air conditioner wasnt loud at all, unless they have come out with super silent air conditioners which don't make a sound. Sure their not silent, but their not loud. Maybe it just their room that had one.

The Service was very nice. They had multiple employees moving about and working. I entered and they were very kind and helpful. I have been to many hotels that seem like only one person is working there so its a fresh to see multiple employees.

I stayed in a studio queen for under $140. Honestly cant beat that. Came with a HUGE desk, flat screen TV with HBO and 40 ish channels, stove, dishwasher, fridge, plates. The beds were perfect. Three pillows which were fluffy, and a bed that let you sink in a little but not too much.

The location was perfect as I was near the mall but not to close where you could get weird people standing outside of your hotel. On that note, this was one of the first hotels in the past month or so where 5-10 people didn't stand outside smoking staring at you when you walked in. These were some 4 1/2 star places also.

Bottom line, I did stay in the queen studio so maybe that's why I had a great experience. I dont know how much the "lower" rooms cost, but if you can try to ask for the studios. You can't beat them, especially if you are staying for a few days (staying for 6 days for sure, maybe 10). So if one doesn't think the price is fair, I guess pay an additional 20-50 dollars for a similar hotel next door (I like Hamptons so this was not a blow at them at all.)

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Go for the Queen Studios. Had multiple fellow business friends stay in them and all had positive rev...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was recently updated but not enough. The room was clean but the air conditioner was NOISY! You could hardly hear the TV when it was running, which is all the time when its warm outside. They should have spent a little more and changed all of the mattresses and pillows. The bed was lumpy and the pillows were so flat that I had to roll up my jacket and put under it so that my head would be elevated. Because of this and not checking more thoroughly when we checked out, I left my jacket. I hope whoever found it enjoys it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Braintree hotels

Au Gres, Michigan
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was a bit worried because we have never stayed at a Candlewood however this place was awesome. The staff were all great and helpful. Very clean. One thing you should know is that if you are driving to the subway station to go into Boston for the day be sure that you get there before 9am or you will have a very difficult time finding a place to park.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Good rates.
Nice staff
Beware rooms that are deemed nonsmoking but clearly have been smoked in -136 definitely.
After the first night we were moved to 203, much nicer, a very faint smell of smoke but better.
Beds were firm and comfortable.

Great wine wholesale shop opposite.

Room Tip: As per above. Ask for cleanest smelling room if you are a nonsmoker
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Englishmanontheroad
krockc3
Reviewed July 24, 2012

There's a reason this is the only hotel near Boston that still had rooms available. The whole place is dated, run-down, and smelled like they ran out of cleaning supplies. Air-conditioner sounded like a food processor. Asked for towels and never got them.

NOT WORTH THE PRICE.

Room Tip: Don't. Book earlier, or stay further out of town. You can travel in on the train easily.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank krockc3
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree, responded to this review, August 12, 2012
Dear krockc3,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a clean and reliable place to stay. I'm sorry our hotel was not to your liking. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the quality and services that we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree
Hampton Inn Boston Braintree
Beantown Inn
Beantown Inn
#4 of 7 in Braintree
Howard Johnson Quincy
Boston Marriott Quincy
Best Western Adams Inn Quincy-Boston

Been to Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree? Share your experiences!