“Some People Stayed at a Different Hotel?”

Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Braintree
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'll first say that sometimes I think people might have reviewed the wrong hotel. If you think this hotel is bad, then maybe people have stayed at constant $200+ hotels. This one cost under 140 (wont give exact price due to prices always changing), and honestly, has been the best "long stay" hotel I have stayed at.

First some things. Not to attack what others have said, but my experience was different. The smoking and non-smoking rooms are separated, and they charge you $200 if you smoke in a non-smoking. As someone who can't stand the smell of smoke, I made sure to check when I first entered my room (stayed on the 3rd floor). No smoke smell. No smell at all which means it is usually clean.

Now the air conditioner wasnt loud at all, unless they have come out with super silent air conditioners which don't make a sound. Sure their not silent, but their not loud. Maybe it just their room that had one.

The Service was very nice. They had multiple employees moving about and working. I entered and they were very kind and helpful. I have been to many hotels that seem like only one person is working there so its a fresh to see multiple employees.

I stayed in a studio queen for under $140. Honestly cant beat that. Came with a HUGE desk, flat screen TV with HBO and 40 ish channels, stove, dishwasher, fridge, plates. The beds were perfect. Three pillows which were fluffy, and a bed that let you sink in a little but not too much.

The location was perfect as I was near the mall but not to close where you could get weird people standing outside of your hotel. On that note, this was one of the first hotels in the past month or so where 5-10 people didn't stand outside smoking staring at you when you walked in. These were some 4 1/2 star places also.

Bottom line, I did stay in the queen studio so maybe that's why I had a great experience. I dont know how much the "lower" rooms cost, but if you can try to ask for the studios. You can't beat them, especially if you are staying for a few days (staying for 6 days for sure, maybe 10). So if one doesn't think the price is fair, I guess pay an additional 20-50 dollars for a similar hotel next door (I like Hamptons so this was not a blow at them at all.)

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Go for the Queen Studios. Had multiple fellow business friends stay in them and all had positive rev...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel was recently updated but not enough. The room was clean but the air conditioner was NOISY! You could hardly hear the TV when it was running, which is all the time when its warm outside. They should have spent a little more and changed all of the mattresses and pillows. The bed was lumpy and the pillows were so flat that I had to roll up my jacket and put under it so that my head would be elevated. Because of this and not checking more thoroughly when we checked out, I left my jacket. I hope whoever found it enjoys it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was a bit worried because we have never stayed at a Candlewood however this place was awesome. The staff were all great and helpful. Very clean. One thing you should know is that if you are driving to the subway station to go into Boston for the day be sure that you get there before 9am or you will have a very difficult time finding a place to park.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Good rates.
Nice staff
Beware rooms that are deemed nonsmoking but clearly have been smoked in -136 definitely.
After the first night we were moved to 203, much nicer, a very faint smell of smoke but better.
Beds were firm and comfortable.

Great wine wholesale shop opposite.

Room Tip: As per above. Ask for cleanest smelling room if you are a nonsmoker
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Englishmanontheroad
Reviewed July 24, 2012

There's a reason this is the only hotel near Boston that still had rooms available. The whole place is dated, run-down, and smelled like they ran out of cleaning supplies. Air-conditioner sounded like a food processor. Asked for towels and never got them.

NOT WORTH THE PRICE.

Room Tip: Don't. Book earlier, or stay further out of town. You can travel in on the train easily.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank krockc3
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2012

Dear krockc3,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide a clean and reliable place to stay. I'm sorry our hotel was not to your liking. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the quality and services that we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 14, 2012

In the Boston area (Quincy) for a major International conference, I had declined to stay at the Quincy, Marriott, the host hotel, for several reasons, which I have cited in a review of that facility. I found the Candlewood Suites online, and when I called for a reservation, I got lucky.
The Candlewood only had one room left for the two nights I needed to stay, but it met my qualifications. It was a smoking room, the hotel welcomes pets free, and the rate, for a Queen Suite, was the same ($135.00) as the negotiated rate for a single room at the Marriott.

I had three cats with me, since I was making a presentation at the Cat Fanciers' Association Breed Council meeting at the Marriott on Saturday. These are show cats. They live in a safe, clean environment at home, and I expect the same of any hotel we use while on the road. I was extremely pleased, once I checked in with the friendly and accomodating receptionist, to find that the suite exceeded my expectations. My first impression was of a reasonably spacious, fully-equipped kitchen with a large dining/conference table; a comfortable living room (with a pull-out couch and large desk) a large bathroom, and a decently sized bedroom with full closet including built-in cupboards, vanity, bedside tables, and large chest of drawers. A family of four would find the suite appropriate for a few days. The practicalities of an iron and ironing board, two phones, a large flat screen TV, WiFi, a hairdryer, alarm clock, dishes and flatware for four plus cookware, utensils, coffee and coffee pot, new dish cloth and towels, and even a small pantry, invited me to make myself at home. Furthermore, the entire space was immaculately clean, including the gleaming interiors of the kitchen appliances. Since I abhor the garish decorating schemes in most hotels, I enjoyed the subdued, restful "decor." It was relaxing without being boring. The only thing missing, regrettably, was a broom and dustpan. I have stayed at very expensive hotels that provided much less!

The hotel's policy of not cleaning daily worked for me, since I always post a Do Not Disturb sign when I am accompanied by the cats. I don't want anyone going in and out of the room should I leave the cats alone while I am elsewhere. On the one hand, housekeepers may not realize the cats are friendly, or may be afraid of cats in general. On the other hand, my cats could lead hotel employees on a merry chase up and down the halls, should they escape. Nor do I want my cats exposed to cleaning compounds. A note in my room specified service and fresh towels if requested, which seems like a fine compromise to me. So this worked.

One item that surprised me at this moderately priced hotel was the quality of the linens, which were European in style. The furnishings throughout the suite were mid-century old fashioned; but the bed linens were fresh and of quite high quality. The bed itself was so well made that, as an Army nurse aunt of mine used to say, 'you could bounce a coin on it.'

I became ill during the day at the conference, and by late afternoon knew I couldn't join friends for dinner Friday evening. I returned to the Candlewood- only five minutes south of Quincy, on I-93- and took advantage of the Kitchen Cupboard in the lobby hallway to grab something digestible that I could heat up in my room. They offer a random selection of prepared foods, a complement of cold drinks and snack items, on the Honor system. You can put cash in a slot, or fill out a chit to charge items to your room. I saw several guests using the handy washer and dryer, and in an adjacent area, using the "gym" machines, while I grabbed my "dinner." Again, everything was shiny-clean.

Wood Road appears to be an industrial area, but the Candlewood is one of a cluster of moderately-priced hotels just up the hill from a main commercial street, and only about two minutes from I-93. If you stay here, don't expect a view. This is a traveler's or family hotel. My room, at the far end of the corridor on the 4th floor, was quiet. A bit of a walk from the elevator for a handicapped person, especially down a hot hallway, but using a cart (my own) for the cat carrier and my suitcase, alleviated that small problem. Handicap parking is directly outside the lobby door, and the receptionist helped me through the double doors.

I was very happy with the Candlewood Suites and will include them in my next itinerary.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Wlpresvd
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I am giving my rating for the lack of sound proofing in this hotel. I am still in the hotel so the impression is very fresh.

PROS: Front desk clerk was very friendly.The room was clean, bed and pillows above average. Bathroom and shower above average. Nice kitchen with a full size fridge. Free WiFi. All would normally trigger a positive review.

CONS: The AC fan was so loud that I shut it off at midnight. That's when I heard the water/toilet being turned on up stairs, and very heavy walking (kind of like in an apartment). Then the fridge compressor started to cycle (UGG). Hallway noise is above average due to no sound proofing.This seems to be a pet friendly hotel-little dog barking at 10 pm. Shower curtain lets water puddle on floor- since there is a rust stain behind the toilet this is not a first.
Front door is NOT handicap friendly. There are two doors to go through. No automatic door opener, which when pulling a suitcase is a pain, never mind if you're in a wheel chair. Located at the end of an industrial strip which was kind of isolated for a woman traveling alone.

So clean, nice place to stay just bring your ear plugs. I'd say very family friendly with washers and dryers and close to Boston, just off RT 3. There is even a patio with grills.

Room Tip: I'd call and ask if there is a room on top floor, maybe this would cut down on noise from above.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank clarkey61
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree
Beantown Inn
Beantown Inn
#4 of 7 in Braintree
Hampton Inn Boston Braintree
Extended Stay America - Boston - Braintree
Boston Marriott Quincy
Howard Johnson Quincy

Been to Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree? Share your experiences!