“Not for Swimmers”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Braintree
San Diego, California
“Not for Swimmers”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Hotel was perfectly nice., the room was comfortable etc. but the pool was not clean and had an eye-stinging stench of chlorine. (A little too much a little too late?) The dehumidifiers were not on (or possibly not working) so the condensation dripping from the ceiling would smack you on the head with a gross icy splash. The pool room itself was frigidly cold and more than once there was a waiting line for only one working toilet. What I thought was going to be a couple of hours of comfortable relaxation while my husband was working turned out to be anything but. Our concern for the lack of sanitary conditions in one area of the property, made us suspicious of the others (probably unfairly so) Sorry we couldn't recommend your hotel in the future due to the poor experience with such a major amenity.

1 Thank tricia t
Sean C, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a positive review about the Hyatt Place Hotel, with honest feedback about your swimming pool experience. Though the Atlantis Health Club attached to our hotel is a fabulous neighbor of our hotel, it independent from the hotel. Atlantis is nice enough to extend the swimming pool to our guests. During the summer season, the hotel does have access to the Atlantis pool, as well as our own outdoor swimming pool. During your stay, the roof top ventilation and heat was down causing the moisture and smell of chlorine. The replacement unit is schedule for installation this week. I am confident you will have a better swimming experience in the future! Thanks again for your honest feedback.

Sean Crump

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Turkish first
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Have stayed here quite a few times. It used to be the Sheraton (Castle looking place). The rooms are sufficient. They all have a sitting area and a nice sized flat screen TV. Each room has a small fridge which is really convenient. Don't stay there for a view but you are right across the road from the South Shore Plaza which has tons of places to shop and eat. But, I must say in the same strip mall as the hotel, there is TGI Friday's, 5 guys burgers and just opened, Legal Seafood which from the outside looks really incredible. I love Legal's but have not tried this one as I have been staying at the hotel crazy hours due to work. Anyways, back to the hotel. Memory foam beds, extra pillows in closet, coffee machine in room with coffee, Bathroom is a little cramped but shower is very nice. FREE WIFI!!!! Always a winner in my books. Lobby is very comfortable. I think they have a bar just around the corner from the reception desk. Haven't tried it but it looks pretty well stocked. Work out facilities are mainly cardio, but the machines are in good order. Bring your headphones as they are all hooked up to TV/Cable and you will need your own headphones to listen. They have tons of towels for use and the water dispenser dispenses nice cold, clean water. Don't get me wrong they do have bar bells but it is primarily focused on treadmills, ellipticals and bikes. The entire hotel was clean, the staff very friendly and professional. So now to the best part of all. Oh how you can get nickled and dimed to death in MA for everything (see the Marriott in Quincy). Free breakfast. I am not talking coffee and a muffin. They actually have (very good) breakfast sandwiches, I have had egg, bacon and cheese on an english and also sausage, egg and cheese on an english. Every type of juice you can think of but also the healthy stuff. Cereal, fruit, granola, yogurt, etc. Coffee is excellent, it is self serve but you sense there are folks in the background willing to pounce if you need help. Overall a very good experience. I have to stay in the Quincy area on frequent occasions and I used to stay at the (pay to park) Marriott. The Hyatt Place is a nice change and I would never look anywhere else to stay in the area. Also, my rate for a Friday night was very reasonable.

Don't stay for the view, do stay for the room and breakfast, do stay for the workout (if you are into cardio) , do stay if you are into shopping, do stay if you are into really good seafood or (bad for you) tasty burgers.

Hope this helps

Room Tip: They are all the same, sitting area, small (free) fridge, coffee pot and extra pillows and blankets...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nh
Sean C, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you! What a fabulous review! Thank you for detailing all of the features at Hyatt Place Braintree that we are so proud of. We hope to see you again during your next visit to the Boston/Braintree area. Thank you again, very much.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have always had good experiences at Hyatt Place properties and this was no exception. Room was clean and very well kept as was most of the hotel. Dinner in the lobby/bar area was outstanding both in food and the service. I was surprised to find that I could not put a tip for the server on my credit card as you can at most restaurants. I would like to see Hyatt change this policy as I think it does a disservice to their employees.

The one thing I was disappointed in was the pool area. I had some extra down time and decided to go down there and relax; apparently the pool area is sub-leased to a third party that runs it as a separate business. As a hotel guest I had access at no charge, but the general condition of the area was not up to the usual Hyatt standards. It was clean enough, but just had a tired, long overdue for an update, feel to it. One of doors in the pool area opens directly to the outside and customers kept coming in and leaving the door open, staff in the area apparently couldn't notice that the temperature in the area was dropping rapidly as it was very cold outside. Eventually it got cold enough that I decided to leave.

Very nice location within walking distance of a large mall (they have shuttle service too) and next to a Ben & Jerry's, a Starbucks and TGI Fridays.

I'd probably stay at this location again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Sean C, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Thank you very much for the wonderful comments about the Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, the cleanliness of our hotel, and the services we provide. We are very pleased to have the health club adjacent to the hotel, which allows our guests to use their indoor pool, especially during the winter season when our outdoor pool is closed! Repairs are currently being made to the pool area, and I am confident the conditions will improve as a result of those repairs. Thank you very much for your honest feedback, and we hope to see you again in the future!

Hackettstown, New Jersey
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We chose this hotel based on the price and proximity to Boston. For this stay we arrived on Friday night and stayed until Sunday in room 512.

Pros:
-Nice friendly staff.
-Location, location location: easy access to major highways, within walking distance of a variety of food options (Legal Seafood, Starbucks, Five Guys, Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle), and only a 10-15 minute drive to Boston.
-Free parking.
-Complimentary breakfast.
-Clean, comfortable bed and pillows.
- Value. After doing some research on Boston hotels, this came in far below any of the other hotels which were in the $300 + parking per night range.
-Free Wifi
-Sunblocking shades. No light got in whatsoever. I'd like to have taken them home with me.

Cons:
-Cleanliness. There were spiderwebs in 2 of the corners and shower shoes were needed. There were also some superficial 'cleanliness' issues if you will, including stains on the carpet, a crack in the Sheetrock, numerous scuff marks and what could only be described as 'gunk' on all the doors (hallway and in room).
- Key Card. Getting into our room took some finesse. We would have to enter the key twice and hope that it would open. On our way out one day we did hear someone at the lobby asking the staff to exchange his key cards for ones that worked, so maybe it wasn't just us?
- Bathroom: No light in the shower portion and no fan. Due to this you have to make the choice of which is more important, seeing in the shower or suffocating in the humidity of the shower. Maybe if a fan were installed, it would cut down on the ick factor of the shower. My other complaint about the bathroom was that the door and the toilet were in very awkward places. You would have to go in and walk past the toilet to shut the door.
-Paperthin walls. We were on a quiet hallway but we could definitely hear the room next to us in the bathroom and could easily hear children in the hallway. We could also hear the highway from our room with the window shut.
-Air Conditioning Unit was very loud, which is great when you want to keep the sound out from the hallway but not great for watching TV.

All in all, not a horrible experience but we've stayed at other Hyatt Places, and were a tad disappointed by this one

Room Tip: Pick one away from the highway. We could hear the cars on 93 during busier times.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean C, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback on the Hyatt Place Braintree. We are very proud of our hotel, it's fabulous location and our hard working team. We pride ourselves on maintaining a very clean hotel, and I assure you that if you experienced a cleanliness issue it was an isolated incident. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I am also pleased to inform you that we are currently upgrading the bathroom lighting throughout the hotel. We are scheduled to be complete by the end of November. Thanks again, and I hope to see you again during your next visit to the Braintree area.

Connecticut
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We spent a very nice Saturday night at this hotel. The staff are really lovely. I love the vanilla room scent Hyatt uses and the Hyatt bed is the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on. Rooms, halls and lobby were all clean and well-maintained and the complimentary breakfast was pretty good (the Italian roast coffee was great!). The location is very good, about 15 minutes from downtown Boston and across the street from a large mall with multiple restaurants. There's a little cafe in the lobby and a Starbucks in the plaza downstairs from the hotel, which was perfect.

The hotel temperature was a little warm for us, so we had to run the cooling unit in our room during the night, which was a little noisy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean C, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for the fabulous feedback about the Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree. We are very proud of our hotel, the comfort of our guestrooms and the wonderful restaurants and shops located within our development. Thank you for mentioning those hotel features, and we hope to see you again in the near future!

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed here while attending a wedding in the area. Left the hotel we were staying at due to lack of decent service. Glad we did as this Hyatt was close to the Mall, within walking distance. Close to restaurants and the staff was more then friendly. Airport transportation is close by and the hotel shuttle can drop you there as well as the mall and other nearby locations at no cost. The breakfast buffet was also a nice touch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for choosing the Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree recently. We congratulate the Bride and Groom, and hope you had a fabulous wedding weekend. We are thrilled to have provided the level of service that you deserve, and appreciate your mentioning of the convenient location of our hotel. I hope to see you again in the future!

High Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I had a last minute meeting in Braintree on 11/5/13 and the Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express were booked. I was expecting to have to pay big $$ to find something decent, and got lucky! Hyatt Place was awesome and the staff was excellent. It was only $30 more than the other hotels, and was great. The next day I realized I forgot my Bluetooth in my room and had to go back. One of the staff ran up to the room and ran back down to hand it to me. Service like that is unusual for a big hotel chain.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
What a wonderful review, thank you! As General Manager, I am always thrilled to hear about when one of our Hosts goes above and beyond to exceed the guest's expectations. Thank you for mentioning this in your review. Please visit us again during your next visit to the Boston area, on business or pleasure!

Sean Crump
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
Hampton Inn Boston Braintree
Candlewood Suites - Boston Braintree
Boston Marriott Quincy
Beantown Inn
Beantown Inn
#4 of 7 in Braintree
Best Western Adams Inn Quincy-Boston
Howard Johnson Quincy

Been to Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree? Share your experiences!