“Overall good, some quirks such as abandoning us at the subway”

Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Braintree
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Pros:
Cheaper than staying inside Boston. Free shuttle to the metro/sub. Good breakfast (they even customized a sandwich for my gluten free daughter). Decent, clean rooms.

Cons:
Some of the staff was very nice, but others not so much. While being shuttled to the metro, the driver said we can be picked up anytime we wanted even after 9pm. When we called to be picked up at 7:30pm, the hotel clerk said we need to call a cab it was too late! I quoted the driver and the staff reluctantly said she'd made a one time exception.

Also the staff at the fitness center wasn't very helpful. While my daughters were swimming I asked for pool towels since I couldn't find any near the pool. At first she wouldn't acknowledge me, but when she did she made my daughters and I walk soaking wet back to our room saying we had to use our own towels or go to the front desk.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank indyemmett

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights at the Hyatt Place in June 2013. Growing up in the area, we were long familiar this hotel as a former Sheraton. The hotel has been remodeled (and is still being remodeled, if I understand correctly), and that was the main factor in selecting this hotel. We checked in around midnight after a long evening of flying from the Carolinas. We were checked in efficiently and were pleased with the accommodations, and were asleep moments after walking into the room.

The beds were extremely comfortable, a pleasant surprise. I found the bathroom to be extremely dark. There was one small overhead light above the sink, leaving the shower pretty dark. However, the water pressure was great.

My sister and I shared a room the first night, and for my second night she checked into a second room (around 5pm) as her husband was flying in that night. Upon that check-in, we learned of the complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning. I wish the agent who had checked us in the night before had informed us of that, as we definitely would have checked it out rather than taking our time in the morning. Even though we checked in around midnight, I wish we had been given that information.

I would definitely stay here again as I have family in the area - it's a good alternative to hotel prices in Boston. Also, the weather was amazing when we visited and I was sorry to not have enough time to enjoy the outdoor pool.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree for a few days of sightseeing with my son in Boston. A friend from Boston recommended the hotel for its reasonable rates and proximity to Boston. We were very happy with our stay. Our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was on the small side, and, like other reviewers, I found the bathroom lighting lacking. However, overall, the room was perfect for us. The drive into Boston was easy, and my son enjoyed going to the restaurants at the mall for dinner. There is no room service, but you can order food 24 hours and pick it up. The complimentary breakfast was quite nice. An assortment of delicious cold and hot foods was available. I am particularly thankful to Roger, the night hotel desk clerk, who helped us with our reservation. He was very kind, polite, and helpful after a very long day and a snafu with our reservation. I cannot thank him enough for his help. I am going back in August and we will likely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
lydon48, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments concerning the Hyatt Place Braintree, we are very proud of the service we provide and greatly appreciate your business. Please plan on visiting us again soon.

Kind regards,
Ed Burke

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Dont know the concept attached to the name, but this facility does not live up to the Hyatt big brother locations. Since I grew up in the area this site was location of a much larger facility from years gone by, torn down and replaced in part by this. I was expecting an entirely 'new' building but the stairwells and other features did not belie this. It is convenient to the highway but a lengthy slow ride into the 'city' if you hit it at rush hour...ie it'll take nearly an hour. It is close to a large T station with immense parking garage and across from a monstrous Mall.
The design is very poor, like no engineer/architect who contributes to these things ever stays in one. Slow pokey elevators have no noticeable stairways nearby, until you look behind the plain unmarked door. Using the stairwells was not pleasant as they were painted but still dim and grey and very dirty.
The room is large and spacious but somehow felt empty. A large sofa was in my one bedded room, like a CEO could take a meeting there. Poor design again - sink was in the bath altho there is a counter for it outside - dead space holds the minute coffee maker. bath itself incredlibly cramped..you have to navigate around the door if you try to close it to get to the commode or shower. Mine had a shower stall and again access to it cumbersome. Water continued to run in the commode and if the fixtures were supposed to be new this certainly wasn't...it look recycled, and even had rust iron stains in the bowl...how ugly. How about using your laptop? Well, theres no outlet on the desk, it's in the wall about 10 feet away so bring a long enough ac cord. Stairwells lead outside but you can't go back in that way...they are not keyed for entry. Parking is increadibly stupid...nothing in front but handicapps, and when busy you'll be walking a ways to your vehicle. Neighboring businesses have nasty placards about parking near them...you can get towed. The key did not operate the door to my room well, red light came on with the green and after repetitions it finally opened. Decor of the common areas was bland, and there were mars on the walls, and many room doors like they had been subject to alot of renovations by clumsy workers. The wireless service is a disaster..slow as stink and kept dropping the connection. You are LOGGED OFF at midnight, seriously, and you have to log back in if you'd like to continue to web with an entirely new code (ie for the next 24 hours)?? Seriously, is theft of slow internet service that bad in the Plaza area??
One final picky note I cant understand...these in wall HVAC units have pull out plastic filters on the front, and as you might guess, I check these out. Well, they were AS FILTHY AS AN ASH TRAY. I ran them under the shower and then had to clean the shower stall out with towels before I could use it. I'm serious. No one in this hotel knows what the hell they are doing about running it at ALL from a cleanliness/customer feature perspective. Just hire a goddamn random guest inspector to check it out and give report cards back to the managers.
STINKY NOSE alert: they allow pets, and altho my room did not smell, I know there will be wet dog stink in one of those rooms soon enough, and urine...there's no commercial cleanser short of acid which will take away such a stench so make sure you ask when you check in about pet rooms vs non. If they tell you they "clean all the rooms" in reply, tell them you'll make THEM sleep in the room for the night if it f'n stinks!

Room Tip: sound proofing was fairly good, I was in the rear away from the road and had little noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel is an old Sheraton which has been (and still is, I think) being remodeled. The room (#201) is spacious, with a comfortable sitting area separated from the bed by an attractive screen. There is a refrigerator in the room, but no microwave. The bathroom has either strange lighting or a strange mirror, making your reflection look like an extra from a zombie movie. There are no drinking glasses in the bathroom, but there are 2 china mugs with the coffee maker in the little closet area/entry to the bath; and there are 2 glasses with the ice bucket on a lower shelf of the furniture unit adjacent to the desk. A decent breakfast is included, (the standard "included" breakfast), doesn't have very good traffic flow, but the place is still very new and this could change. The location of this hotel can't be beaten, and the price is reasonable for the area. If shopping is of interest, there is a major shopping area just across the street--drive, don't walk, if you value your life.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, check for a room close to the elevators. Some rooms are a very long...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank agbens
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed here while on a business trip as the cost was reasonable compared to Boston which was insane! Convenient to I93 but, as others have warned, leave pletny of time for travel into and out of Boston as the traffic is very heavy. The front desk and breakfast area staff were very freindly and efficient.

PROS
1) Free Parking and wi-fi
2) Complimentary breakfast (good choices, too!)
3) Convenient shopping mall across the street
4) COMFORTABLE bed and pillows
5) CLean and well-kept, looks recently remodeled
6) Separate sitting area

CONS
1) Poor lighting in the bathroom
2) Clunky wall unit

Woudl stay again if I had the chance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank CountessCorn
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here with family for a family graduation in Boston. It was significantly less pricey than any hotel in Boston and we were very happy with the clean, comfortable, and well kept rooms, but you do have to factor in the bad Boston traffic going into the city (it can get bad). The complimentary breakfast was delicious and we were also quite happy with the free parking and free printing! As well, the service was great and everyone was incredibly helpful and gracious. Overall, we were happy with our stay! Just that a fair warning and consideration of traffic should be given for future travelers.

• Stayed: May 2013
Ed B, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our property. Everyone who stays here raves about the size of our guestroom, the oversized TV, and especially the delicious free breakfast. Last, they love all the money they save by staying a few miles out of Boston!!!

Please come back and visit, and again, my thanks.

Ed Burke

PS...I am working on reducing the traffic!!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
Hampton Inn Boston Braintree
Residence Inn Boston Braintree
Best Western Rockland
Best Western Rockland
#1 of 3 in Rockland

Been to Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree? Share your experiences!