“Excellent Hotel; Very Helpful with Lost Cell Phone”

Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Braintree
Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed here while visiting our son who goes to college in Boston. We couldn't have been more pleased with this hotel. While the location is certainly not "in" Boston (it's an easy 15 minute drive to the south) the price was about half of the astronomical rate that comparable hotels were getting in the City. The hotel is sleek and modern, with a definite upscale feel. Public areas and our room were very clean. Our one-bed standard room felt much larger than I'm used to, with a suite-like sitting area set off distinctly from the sleeping area. The free breakfast was as good or better than what we've had at similar-priced hotels elsewhere.

I also should note that we had great experience retrieving a lost cell phone, which I left it in the room accidentally at check out. I spoke with the head of housekeeping who arranged to return it to me - across the country - at no charge. I was already certain to stay here again on our next visit, but this experience prompted me to post my first Tripadvisor review in appreciation of the great service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dave F
Steve B, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your very generous comments. I'm delighted to know we exceeded your expectations - and especially with getting your cell phone retrieved. We can't operate without those little instruments these days! I will pass on your compliments to the staff. Hoping to see you return on your next visit to our area.

Wishing you the best.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our stay was 5 days. Can't say enough about the great service and friendly staff. We arrived very late (wee hours of the morning) & got lost on the way to the hotel from the airport. Called the hotel and Roger actually came to our location & we followed him "home"! That's service! The people at the front desk were so friendly & genuinely interested in helping us with tours, directions, transportation, etc. One night we got in after the Hyatt hotel shuttle had already left the "T" station. Chris R. came & picked us up! MORE great service!

This hotel is also close to a major mall & restaurants. Shuttle service provided.

The hotel is located about 25 minutes on the T from the heart of Boston, which made it one of the most affordable places to stay in the area. Clean rooms, refrigerator, free breakfast, great service and super people!

We definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: No restaurant, but food service available 24/7. Not room service. Food is ordered then you pick it...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind and generous comments! We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass along your compliments to both Roger and Chris - both are stellar associates and they will appreciate your gratitude.

Hoping you will stay with us on your next visit to the Boston area.

Wishing you well,

Reviewed October 14, 2012

The rooms here are average at best but it's the customer service that really played the negative factor in my stay here. Most of the staff is fairly average, however, if you come across a night receptionist named Johnathan, be wary. He is extremely rude and condescending. I dealt with him a few nights and every time I did I walked away extremely aggravated that I had to deal with him. It could be because he's in his 50s and still working nights at a dumpy hotel nowhere close to Boston. However, that dose not constitute being rude to your guest who have simple questions about the area.
I strongly suggest not staying here!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had stayed here years ago when this was a Sheraton Hotel. We knew it was being renovated under a new name and were pleasantly surprised to find it was now a Hyatt and was open for business. We made a reservation for 3 nights and checked in on Thursday, October 4th. We had been helping our daughter move and we were exhausted when the very nice, and very helpful clerk at the front desk allowed us to check in early. That was the best part of our short stay. The room had obviously been recently redone and was very clean. That was a plus. However, the mattress was overly and uncomfortably firm as were the pillows. Not quite rock hard but close. The TV remote, or perhaps it was the TV itself, didn't work very well. It worked, then it didn't, then it did, then it didn't ... and so on. The air conditioning unit/fan ran very loudly and continuously. There was only one coffee mug and there were no glasses in the bathroom. The light in the bathroom was very dim, making it impossible to apply makeup. The light outside the bathroom was also too dim to be useful. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom so when we showered the steam just built up and completely clouded the mirror. And it didn't dissipate very quickly. We did not call down to the front desk about these problems on Thursday night as we were so tired we just turned the lights off and tried to sleep but as I mentioned before, we did not find the bed to be comfortable and sleep was difficult. We decided on Friday morning to check out 2 days early and we moved to another hotel that was close by in Quincy. The same clerk that checked us in was again on duty and we explained to her why we were leaving early. She said that there had been other complaints about the bathroom lighting and ventilation. She said she would pass on our comments and she did give us a small discount on our bill for our inconvenience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne L
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Travelling from California taking a red-eye flight, we arrived at the Hyatt very early in the morning and was accommodated with an early check in. (Thank you) Greeted by staff during a shift change, we were in our room within 15 mins. The Front desk/Cleaning/Breakfast staff and Shuttle drivers delivered excellent customer service. The Front desk was friendly and attentive to our needs/questions. Never waited more than 10 minutes for a ride and the shuttle drivers provided great recommendations as we shared with them our journey for the day. Would highly recommend staying here. Thank you all again for a wonderful stay. Until we meet again - keep up the GOOD work.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EFM24
Reviewed October 4, 2012

firstly i have no idea why expedia who i booked and paid for trip with are asking me to review the hotel on a partner site as this would be no help at all with any expedia customers !!!

the hotel was a shearton hotel previously and was pretty awful then compared to the brand new rooms that were shown on the expedia and sheraton websites as we were put in the old basement wing which was very old fashioned and very dark and dismal so i was pleasantly surprised to find the newly modeled and acquired hyatt place standing in its sheraton foot print

all was great with the new hotel but no one had informed me or others that it was undergoing a major refurbishment on the outside ( which was very unsightly and noisy to say the least ) as well as the indoor pool area out of use due to works and as i only ever book hotels with expedia that have an indoor pool i was very unimpressed

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank homerfester
Steve B, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I want to extend a very genuine apology for your disappointing stay at our new Hyatt Place Hotel. Not having an indoor or outdoor pool available due to our renovations certainly took away from your visit. We should have been more communicative and clear on our website as well as travel partners like Expedia. While its not possible to give back the time you spent with us I do hope you will consider us on an future visits to our area. If you would contact me directly at steve.buckler@hyatt.com I would personally see to your reservation as my guest.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

From the layout to the outright poor personnel - from begining to end - I can't find any silver lining which I ALWAYS do.

As a frequent traveller - I've been lucky or unluckyenough to see the best and the worst globally.

For the money - this is a complete zero (okay - less than zero).

If you talk lobby area - the bar is literally connected to the check-in desk - and the staff there are simply inept and obnoxious.

If you talk construction - they are building a low-end food joint next door (big secret as to what it actually will be - like anyone cares).

If you talk water - the hot water doesn't work.

Bottom line is - just go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Svence J
Steve B, General Manager at Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

I am writing in response to your review posted on September 24th. My genuine apologies for what was obviously a poor experience at our hotel. We have taken great pride in our property and especially our staff. The design of the lobby area - known as the Gallery - is by Hyatt and a standard feature at all Hyatt Place Hotels. As for the construction adjacent to the property - South Shore Place will soon open with a Starbucks, Qdoba Restaurant, 5 Guys, Jos Banks Clothiers along with several other outlets. The primary restaurant you refer to will be Legal Seafoods - opening in early 2013. A word on our staff. If any member of our team was obnoxious or rude to you I am very sorry. We receive many terrific compliments on their attitude and professionalism but we are not perfect.

Again, I'm sorry you had a poor experience. I'd like to offer you a return visit on me if you would agree to give us another try. You can reach me at steve.buckler@hyatt.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Braintree
Hampton Inn Boston Braintree
Best Western Rockland
Best Western Rockland
#1 of 3 in Rockland
Best Western Adams Inn Quincy-Boston

Been to Hyatt Place Boston/Braintree? Share your experiences!