“Great service and delicious food, but pricey”
Review of Legal Sea Foods - CLOSED

Legal Sea Foods
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Get reeled in to our U-shaped bar or wood-paneled dining room. Those traveling to and from Cape Cod on Route 93 are known to make a stopover for seafood. And not to be missed: two monumental fish tanks in our restaurant, one fresh water and one salt water. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including “Most Popular Boston Restaurant” (Zagat, 2012/2013), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Improper Bostonian, 2010), “Best Chowder” (Boston Magazine, 2010), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Boston Phoenix, 2009) and the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Hingham, Massachusetts
“Great service and delicious food, but pricey”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

My husband and I ordered the world famous clam chowder and it was truly terrific. They give you a mug size cup. We also split a fried clam plate which was also delicious. I liked the way they served it in two separate little pie plates. We each had our own dish with cole slaw, French Fires and tartar sauce. The clam bellies were very clean and not a hint of grit. Small bellies were so tasty and they were fried to perfection...nice and crispy. As a New Englander I am quite fussy about my clams. The place was crowded, but they offered for us to be seated quickly at the bar or raw bar. I was hesitant, but I was in a hurry, so agreed to try sitting there. Luckily, the seats were not those high stools which I have trouble with and there was a foot rail. It was very comfortable and no one sat beside us so we did have privacy and we were entertained watching the chef prepare his dishes. I only gave 4 stars only because of the cost, not the service, nor the food. I just thought that people would need a heads up. We ordered two mugs of chowder, one clam plate, a coke, and a near beer. Price was $48., not including tip. To our surprise, the waitress did provide us with a gift card left by someone the night before as a random act of kindness, so our bill was greatly reduced. Than you to the kind gentleman who did this. It was a great meal in a fine place, but just need to give a heads up on the price. Oh yeah, bathroom were modern and super clean. I feel awful that I can't give it 5 stars.

• Visited March 2014

Auckland
“Great Service and menu”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Loved the service here. Loved the menu. Can't wait to go back. I had the oysters as an appetizers and the seafood casserole as the main.

Visited February 2014
New York
“Great Food in Pleasant Setting”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I ate here beginning of January during the major snowstorm that hit the East Coast. The food was excellent. Well presented and delicious. Service was great. Only things I was not crazy about was the Seaweed Salad which was good but a bit spicy for me & the Root Vegetable Hash which was also a bit spicy & not worth ordering. I had a great Caesar Salad & Grilled Trout. My friend had an amazing platter of fried seafood. This was a satellite location of this famous restaurant & really lived up to the reputation.

• Visited January 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Grilled Mahi yet”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm a regular at LS all around Boston. Sat at the Bar at this South Shore Mall location and had the best grilled Mahi-mahi I've every had. Good wine selection and friendly staff. This location keeps up the LS reputation of exceptional quality seafood at a good price.

Visited December 2013
Wrentham, Massachusetts
“Meh!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Legal Seafoods is everyone's go to place when you are in the mood for a dependable seafood meal. The restaurant in Braintree is a newly opened replacement for the one that was in the mall, and is now located across from the mall. The new restaurant is more has a more open design that reflects their push to become a more hip, upscale place to dine. And, unfortunately, the prices relative to the offering are becoming a bit out of line.
Don't get me wrong. The food isn't bad. It just doesn't attain the level of the pricing. We had the mussels, calamari, and spare ribs as appetizers. One person ordered the fish chowder and sent it back 3 times before giving up. It apparently was giving off bad odors once, was the wrong dish another , and had a layer of scum on the top the third. The calamari and spare ribs were tasty but the mussels were very pedestrian. Fresh, yes. But at the price points you would expect a step up from fresh. I had the crab roll as my main course and no matter what I couldn't detect any definable taste.
The wine and beer list is up to the old Legal standard and doesn't disappoint. The service is fine, the staff doing all they can to be solicitous and efficient. A real word of caution: If you go at any standard, busy meal time hour forget the conversation. The noise level is such that you would need lungs the size of hot air balloons to be heard. We had to shout during the busy period. Obviously this is the place to go for those obsessed with their mobile devices or don't mind sharing their conversation with all the surrounding tables. This really a 2 1/2 star place and definitely not worth the price.

• Visited January 2014