“Great Service and menu”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The signature dish at Legal Sea Foods – really fresh fish. Get reeled in to our U-shaped bar or wood-paneled dining room. Those traveling to and from Cape Cod on Route 93 are known to make a stopover for seafood. And not to be missed: two monumental fish tanks in our restaurant, one fresh water and one salt water. We’ve received a boatload of accolades including “Most Popular Boston Restaurant” (Zagat, 2012/2013), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Improper Bostonian, 2010), “Best Chowder” (Boston Magazine, 2010), “Best Seafood Restaurant” (Boston Phoenix, 2009) and the honor of serving our legendary New England Clam Chowder at every presidential inauguration since 1981.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Loved the service here. Loved the menu. Can't wait to go back. I had the oysters as an appetizers and the seafood casserole as the main.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I ate here beginning of January during the major snowstorm that hit the East Coast. The food was excellent. Well presented and delicious. Service was great. Only things I was not crazy about was the Seaweed Salad which was good but a bit spicy for me & the Root Vegetable Hash which was also a bit spicy & not worth ordering. I had a great Caesar Salad & Grilled Trout. My friend had an amazing platter of fried seafood. This was a satellite location of this famous restaurant & really lived up to the reputation.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I'm a regular at LS all around Boston. Sat at the Bar at this South Shore Mall location and had the best grilled Mahi-mahi I've every had. Good wine selection and friendly staff. This location keeps up the LS reputation of exceptional quality seafood at a good price.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Legal Seafoods is everyone's go to place when you are in the mood for a dependable seafood meal. The restaurant in Braintree is a newly opened replacement for the one that was in the mall, and is now located across from the mall. The new restaurant is more has a more open design that reflects their push to become a more hip, upscale place to dine. And, unfortunately, the prices relative to the offering are becoming a bit out of line.
Don't get me wrong. The food isn't bad. It just doesn't attain the level of the pricing. We had the mussels, calamari, and spare ribs as appetizers. One person ordered the fish chowder and sent it back 3 times before giving up. It apparently was giving off bad odors once, was the wrong dish another , and had a layer of scum on the top the third. The calamari and spare ribs were tasty but the mussels were very pedestrian. Fresh, yes. But at the price points you would expect a step up from fresh. I had the crab roll as my main course and no matter what I couldn't detect any definable taste.
The wine and beer list is up to the old Legal standard and doesn't disappoint. The service is fine, the staff doing all they can to be solicitous and efficient. A real word of caution: If you go at any standard, busy meal time hour forget the conversation. The noise level is such that you would need lungs the size of hot air balloons to be heard. We had to shout during the busy period. Obviously this is the place to go for those obsessed with their mobile devices or don't mind sharing their conversation with all the surrounding tables. This really a 2 1/2 star place and definitely not worth the price.

1  Thank william z
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We went to the new Legal across the way from the Braintree Plaza. We live in Atlanta and frequent the location there. We have been to the old location that is in the mall but decided to go to the new one across the street. BTW, the old location from what the staff told is scheduled to close at the end of January. We all loved it. We didn't have reservations and we were told that it would be a wait BUT, if we wanted to we could sit at the pizza bar. Pizza bar??? We don't have that in Atlanta. Off we go and sit. It was so much fun watching them make the pizza but we also could watch them making other stuff like baked stuffed lobster. The decor is very warm and welcoming. It was very hip. It was noisy because it WAS packed. Our food did not take too long to get and it was perfect temperature. The menu was so much more expanded than what we have in Atlanta. In fact we brought back the take-out menu to show that management at the Atlanta location the menu. My husband and I went for dinlunch just the other day. I told the Head Chef and Michelle about this location. They loved hearing about it and seeing the menu which they gladly took. Maybe corporate would include some of these items in Atlanta. But I diverge. The Braintree location is a happening place and we hope to visit it again on our next visit to the area. Thanks again for a great meal.