“Good food, fresh, good prices!”
Review of Deb's Veggie Depot

Deb's Veggie Depot
Ranked #54 of 84 Restaurants in Bourne
Cuisines: American
Boston
“Good food, fresh, good prices!”
Reviewed September 3, 2011

This is a former train depot, turned into a charming store with a take out section. They have a limited amount of groceries, but what they have is very good and quite reasonably priced. There is a section with some resale items, almost like going to a real cool yard sale. Then there is the produce section. Again, a limited selection, but what is there is fresh, looks great, and reasonably priced.

Where do I start? The lobster roll is 1/4 of meat and the lobster sub is 1/2 pound. I got the roll for 14.99, and I would get the sub ($28.99) next time because the meat is fresh, not frozen, and TENDER! Very little mayo, no celery, no filler, no crazy seasoning, and they give you the option of lettuce or toasted roll. We also got a pulled pork sandwich. Over the top delicious! They have three smokers on the side of the building, and the gentleman let me and my boyfriend each try a rib. If you like ribs, you will be in heaven. If you like smoked pork, you will have a foodgasm!

The genius thing he does with the smoked meat is that he steams it after it comes off the smoker. I smoke a lot of meat at home, and one thing you must remember is let any meat 'rest' after cooking it before cutting it because of the fluid shifts with the temperature change. This keeps it moist. But with smoked meat, the burnt ends or 'bark' can get very dry or chewy. The steam prevents that. The ribs and pulled pork did not have any crunchy, chewy bark. You could see the dark parts, but they were tender. It was like biting in a bacon sandwich!!!! Okay, maybe not exactly, but just as addicting.

Everything is fresh made, so this is a place I can really respect. The lemonade was unique because it was very mild. Fresh squeezed. The only thing I would like to see them do is to make a simple syrup instead of putting straight sugar in the concoction. She put the squeezed lemon juice over the ice, water, and sugar in a cup and shook it like a martini! Right on! The simple syrup will dissolve better in the water and prevent the gritty sugar grains that sink to the bottom. But I do like the lemonade because I don't like dry or pre-made mix, or anything overly sweet. My boyfriend had no complaints about the iced coffee.

We even picked a couple things on the resale table, and they are very functional at home.

May these people have the best of luck, and stay open for many years. They just opened this season, and will remain open until October 31st. We will be back. A beautiful view of Monument Beach and chairs out back. It can't get any better.

• Visited August 2011