“Back to an earlier time and attitude”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baird Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Blandford
Baird Tavern
Ranked #1 of 1 Blandford B&B and Inns
Buzzards Bay
“Back to an earlier time and attitude”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

As we've motored about New England pursuing our interests in history and motorcycle touring visiting historic sites and beautiful landscapes, we've stayed in a number of B&Bs. The one we've returned to several times is the Baird Tavern. Whether passing through or setting up "base camp" Carolyn and the Baird transport us back and slow us down...

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mandst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

For the third year in a row, my family and I have traveled to the hills of Blandford to stay at the Baird Tavern. Each year we count down the days until our next visit because it is such a fun and wonderful place to stay. I believe we stayed in the Taggart room which slept all 5 of us including 2 children ages 11 and 9. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are clean. There are wonderful sofas in the living rooms downstairs to sit and read or just talk amongst the other guests. My children seemed to have no issues with not having a TV or computer to use. They played with the many games and toys Carolyn has on hand for the kids. The Baird Tavern is a must stay for any type of individual, families included. Thank you Carolyn for your warm hospitality. See you next year!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2010

I've long been a fan of historic homes and love to take guided tours when they are available, but they are always "look, don't touch" affairs. At the Baird Tavern, I not only got to look and touch, but to smell and taste an updated version of 18th century Berkshires hospitality. The inn itself is like a trip back in time, with just the right concessions to modern comfort.
I stayed in the Taggart room with my partner and a friend. The beds were very comfortable and the bedding was luxurious (as were the home-baked cookies waiting on the bedside table).
That was the bed, now for the breakfast. In a word, perfection. I know every review here raves over the blueberry pancakes, and at the risk of being redundant, add my rave to the list; they are truly a treat. The made-to-order omelette the prior morning was also superb.

The gardens are beautiful, and filled with butterflies and hummingbirds. Waking to birdsong beats any alarm clock I know!

An unexpected highlight of the Baird Tavern is the innkeeper herself, Carolyn Taylor. Not only does she pick the aforementioned blueberries, bake the bedside cookies, cook the delicious breakfast, and meticulously tend this historic inn and its gardens, but she is a warm and gracious host. She knows the area very well, and our first evening there, directed us to a wonderful, cozy restaurant in town where we had an outstanding meal, and were treated, even though we were the last patrons in the place, like family. It's not a surpiise that Carolyn sent us there, since that's how she treated us as well, like family.

My partner and I are coming back in late October for a fall getaway and we can't wait!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

The weight of the hot, muggy summer seemed to roll off of our shoulders as we headed from NYC into the beautiful Berkshire mountains in late July. Our destination; The Baird Tavern, a charming bed and breakfast that I just happened upon on the web. Traveling with two friends, we were immediately taken by the beauty of the the old house and its surroundings. We arrived at dusk as the clouds hung low behind the post revolutionary structure with its wildflower gardens and old barn rounding out the tableau. No sooner had we stepped into the front door, we were graciously greeted by the host, Carolyn, and a guest who was reading contentedly on the couch. The warm smell of pine boards and mountain air immediately made us feel cozy and welcome as Carolyn gave us the tour of the house. If you want authentic, this is it! If you want comfortable , this is it! If you want television and air conditioning, this not it!
The house has two floors. The main floor has a living area with fireplace and comfortable couches and chairs. The dining area is very large and also has a very large fireplace where the old timers used to do the cooking. There is a beautiful long pine table where the host serves her amazing breakfasts. Off of the dining area is a small supply room that used to be the birthing room. Carolyn has all kinds of stories to tell if you're interested in the history. So fun!
The kitchen is huge and gorgeous with big sunny windows where hummingbirds flitter and twitter about as you sip tea or just talk around the table with guests. Off of the kitchen is a bathroom and a library that can be used as a bedroom. It was occupied when we were there by three lovely people from Boston.
Upstairs are three guest bedrooms. One has a private bathroom and the other two share a bathroom down the hall. We stayed in what is called the dorm room. Three single beds. All of the rooms are furnished beautifully with authentic furniture from the time period. Beds are all pillow top and very comfortable. With the windows open, I was lulled to sleep by the breeze and the freshness of the mountain air.
The best coffee ever woke me up in the morning! Beautiful cooked to order breakfasts including fresh organic fruits and eggs and blueberry pancakes made for a great beginning to our day of wild blueberry picking. Yes, that's right . Right out the back door, and Carolyn supplied us with little baskets!
If you're looking for a really interesting, relaxing, romantic, beautiful, and authentic New England getaway, this is it. I was actually reluctant to write this review for fear that it may get too popular and I would have a hard time booking it again. But I do like to share, so I'm sharing my wonderful experience in hopes that you will love it as much as I did. My hat's off to Carolyn. She really makes this magical place come to life!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2010

After a long drive what a delight to arrive at this charming B&B in a tranquil setting. This tastefully restored, beautifully maintained 1768 tavern was a surprise and delight to weary travelers. Our hostess, Carolyn Taylor, could not have been more welcoming, providing us with a cooling glass of ice tea and taking us on a tour for her historic home. Our room was roomy and tastefully appointed with lovely antiques. There was a large private bath adjacent to our room (note: there are no en suite bathrooms). Sitting in the garden was a pleasant way to pass the time. Our breakfast was delicious and showed the special touch of someone who has had a career as a caterer. Blueberry pancakes (with berries from Carolyn’s garden) served along with a delicious fruit cup, bacon, coffee and a selection of juices was a great way to start the day. Though our visit was a brief one, we look forward to the opportunity of repeating the experience in the near future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Houlton, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I highly and enthusiastically recommend this bed and breakfast. I have stayed at the Baird Tavern 5 times since 2006! The warmth and hospitality of owner, Carolyn Taylor, combined with the charm and informality of the 19th century stage coach inn has made this a wonderful refuge on my long trips from Maine to New York. The Inn is extremely neat and clean. On each of my visits I have stayed in the Ashley bedroom, which has a private bath. This bedroom is spacious and comfortable, with refinished wood floors and period items such as a spinning wheel. I always sleep well and awaken refreshed for the next stage of my journey. Carolyn's breakfasts are a delight (I especially love her pancakes), warned by leisurely conversation, coffee, and (in colder months) a wood stove. If you are lucky, you may see wild turkeys or moose, It would be a joy to stay here several days if you are sighseeing or attending cultural evernts in the area. Hope to see you on my next visit! Bruce

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
manchester nh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2010

I have been visiting Baird Tavern, and it's beautiful owner and innkeeper, Carolyn Taylor, for several years now, and one could not ever experience a more authentic colonial homestead or a more caring and wonderful hostess. It is true that there are no air conditioners at Baird Tavern, but Blandford is reknowned for it's comfortable summers. Many years ago, folks from the greater Springfield area built summer cottages in Blandford and established the Blandford Club, a nine hole golf course.
At Baird Tavern, a guest can experience hand planed panelling in almost every room, beautiful flower gardens with real bees and butterflies feeding on the flower nectar. And open windows with the breeze coming in. You wont see televisions with cable, or microwaves, or fancy granite countertops and hot tubs and over decorated rooms. But you will see period furniture, antiques, plain white curtains, natural cotton sheets and blankets, old spinning wheels, thrree huge original hearths, two beautiful persian kitties,,and birds galore at the feeders. Carolyn Taylor is the utlimate steward of a very historic tavern, and she works every day to preserve not only the Tavern, but the property and the legacy of Blandford's founding pioneers. P,S. If you dont like the heat, go to Baird Tavern in winter, now that's a real treat!!!!! Snow, and a crackling fire in the 250 year old fireplace. Carolyn knows how to kindle a fire! and her woodstove glows day and night all winter.!

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Blandford
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Westfield
#4 of 4 in Westfield
Inn at Stockbridge
Inn at Stockbridge
#2 of 8 in Stockbridge

Been to Baird Tavern? Share your experiences!