“Over-rated”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Boston, Ma
“Over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Went here with a friend on a Thursday night. The place was dead. There was a host at the door who seemed more into checking his cell phone than anything else, probably because he was bored. Though he eventually floated around the restaurant, checking in with guests, schmoozing. Not our style, but that's just us.

We had read some great reviews here so figured that it would be worth checking out. Meh.

The bartender tho pleasant, was not Italian and could not translate into words what some of the headings were on the menu. Of course, we did not expect him to BE Italian, but when working in an Italian restaurant or any restaurant for that matter, you should know your menu. Esp. the bar menu. If an establishment is going to present headings/names of dishes in another language and we are in an English speaking country, the English translation would be appreciated under the Italian description.
We are all for keeping it authentic, but let's be reasonable.

We asked about a featured cocktail on the menu and was told that they didn't have all of the ingredients for that item. This is never a good sign. I'm sorry, but if you have something on the menu, which we were told by our bartender/server that the menu was created EACH DAY, then you should have all of the ingredients necessary to execute said menu. Disappointing.

Ok. How about the wine....the wine list is somewhat limited and pricey.
The bartender then presented us with his "wine pitch" for the wine of the moment which was apparently his instructed duty, as we watched him also do this with a few other guests. Felt very car salesman-like.

The atmosphere was dark and the bar area was in a separate room from the dining room. I like it dark, but cozy, not just dark. We just weren't impressed with the feel of the place.

We shared two dishes; a half portion of the pasta with pesto (delicious, tho a dash of pine nuts on top, a basil leaf or something to make the presentation more appealing would have been a nice touch instead of just the papparelle tossed in the pesto) and a "traditional pizza", which was suppose to be just with cheese.
This "pizza" was about 8 inches around, 1/4" thick and pretty blah. Not bad, just blah.
When a member of the waitstaff brought out the food to us and I mentioned that we had asked for the traditional pizza, which should not have had olives on it (I had expressly asked about what was on the "traditional" and I was told just cheese, esp since I do not like olives), she gave us a blank stare and promptly turned and left, leaving the bartender to kind of deal with it. She could've said "oh, let me check on this for you" or "let me have them make you the proper dish that you had ordered". Instead, she said nothing. And then the bartender said "I had ordered it without anything because I heard you say that you didn't like olives...". Huh? We ORDERED the one without anything on it. From the menu. The one with the description of the pizza that said nothing but cheeses.

We then ordered cappuccino's and a cannoli. The cannoli was quite good. The bartender came back with two espressos in the enormous cappuccino cups and stated that the machine was broken and if we'd like the espressos' that they were on the house.
Um ok, but we'll need some milk. And then,...the espresso was cold! Bummer. We let the bartender know and he said that he would take them off of the tab. Still charged us for the dessert. *Sigh*

We were then given (complementary) very tini-tiny glasses of their homemade limoncello and homemade "basil-cello". Not even sure how to spell that! The lemon was great but the basil one was just kind of strange! Like a tiny shot of pesto in a cup. A sip was interesting but drinking more than that little bit would've been too much. I'll give them an A for trying to be creative with the basil, tho!

What has happened to customer service in some places I do not know. This place has a lot of potential but if you're going to hire a"GM", hire one who does his job; checks the menu, makes sure the staff knows what's what, make sure that everything is in working order like broken espresso machine's. etc. Unacceptable.

The pasta is freshly made, this was obvious. But it would take way more than a fresh dish of pasta to get us to return again.
The GM ( his title, as he shared with other guests frequently) barely looked up from his phone to wish us good night.
We won't go back not only based on this experience but the fact that the prices do not reflect the experience or the food/bar.
Sorry. We really wanted to like it!

Visited April 2014
3 Thank Triplover31

Boston, USA
“Great food, for a price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Prides Osteria bills itself as an authentic Northern Italian osteria, in downtown Beverley! With excellent service, a very limited menu that changes daily based on fresh local sourcing, and fabulous food, I would agree. However, sound echos around the wood-floored room, and if there is a large party there as there was when we ate, it can be tough to hear across the table.
The menu works like one in Italy. You pick from antipasti's, salads, primi's, secondi's and desserts. Since the dishes are authentically small, and the prices are not ($14 - 20 primi's, $26 - 46 secondi's), we found ourselves selecting things we could share to taste a lot and leave a little in our bank account. The recommended pesto Genovese was lovely: fresh and green flavors jumping off large sheets of fresh handkerchief pasta. The salad misto was fresh with light dressing and lots of shaved Parmesan cheese, but on the small side for a $10 salad. My wife's lamb shank was excellent: rich and savory flavors with plenty to eat. My pork belly was even better: crisp skin over melt in your mouth meat, the fat cooked off along the way. We shared Canoli: two small fresh tubes stuffed with sweet ricotta and pistachios - just the way they should be!
The restaurant offers a good wine list with lots of selection by the glass. Talk to the waiter, though. The descriptions are a little hard to decipher...
We really enjoyed our meal. If you're in the area, give them a try!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank LoveToTravelBoston
Boston area
“simply the best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I had dinner a week ago. First of all the waiter was wonderful--very knowledgeable and welcoming - not an easy find in New England! He guided us through the menu and gave us suggestions since this was our first visit. The Pesto Pasta was delicious and the appetizer made with their homemade parma and cheese on a pillow of the lightest dough I have ever eaten was memorable. My husband had the halibut and said it was the best he has ever had in a restaurant--perfectly grilled. It was obvious to us that everything was prepared with attention to detail --or you could say "prepared with a love of good food". Considering the quality of the food and the careful preparation of all aspects of the meal the prices are very reasonable! We will return many times and have already spread the word to our friends and family. I wish the chef/owners many years of success here in Beverly --I am glad he chose to come east to share his talents!!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank pambeverly
Beverly, Massachusetts, United States
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We try to go as often as possible. We love it so much that our friends got us a gift certificate for the holidays. We hope it continues to thrive in beverly!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Andi_F17
Rockport, Massachusetts
“Best restaurant in Beverly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stopped in the other night on a whim. I had been there before with friends and had a wonderful dinner. Again, it was not a disappointment. We had the farm board (small - enough for two), lobster ravioli dish, small pesto pasta and the monkfish wrapped in prosciutto and sage. Everything was so delicious. We dined in some wonderful restaurants in Italy and this compared very well. The pesto is really wonderful. As good as we got in Cinque Terra. This is quality food in good portions. (Not "American" sizes, which is fine by us!) If you are a foodie, be sure to put this restaurant on your list.

• Visited February 2014