“Love this place!”

Dining options: Reservations
Beverly, Massachusetts, United States
“Love this place!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We try to go as often as possible. We love it so much that our friends got us a gift certificate for the holidays. We hope it continues to thrive in beverly!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Andi_F17

Rockport, Massachusetts
“Best restaurant in Beverly”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stopped in the other night on a whim. I had been there before with friends and had a wonderful dinner. Again, it was not a disappointment. We had the farm board (small - enough for two), lobster ravioli dish, small pesto pasta and the monkfish wrapped in prosciutto and sage. Everything was so delicious. We dined in some wonderful restaurants in Italy and this compared very well. The pesto is really wonderful. As good as we got in Cinque Terra. This is quality food in good portions. (Not "American" sizes, which is fine by us!) If you are a foodie, be sure to put this restaurant on your list.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank NonnaCD
Boston
“WOW! WHAT A FIND”
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I was taken to the restaurant for my birthday by my brother in law. And all I can say is WOW.
We were a party of 6 and so we had a chance to try most of the items on the menu that night.
The food is wonderful and the menu changes every day depending on what is available and the chef's whims.
But everything is fresh, perfectly cooked and outstanding.
We started with their charcuterie board which had several differnt meats and cheeses and all were tasty and interesting. We also ordered one of their homemade fiocaccia.
Mains included cuttlefish( like calamari but meatier), pasta with their famous pesto sauce ( a definite get if on the menu), gnoicci with walnut sauce (Another must get), lamb and a whole fish.
One Tip:Often there are 2 pasta dishes and you can get 1/2 orders of each if you ask.
Service was great and our waitress was very freindly and knowledgeable about the menu and their wines.
If you are not adventurous ( sticking to classic red sauce and meatballs?) and not willing to live with a small menu, then this may not be the place for you.
But if you like good food and like to be pleasantly surprised then you definitely need to add this to your MUST GO TO list.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank fishonBoston
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Disappointment”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our initial visit to Osteria will be our last. It was a fairly large disappointment given all the hype we had heard.

The menu on the web site looks nothing like the daily menu prepared by the chef. It was extremely limited. We heard the explanation about this being "farm to table" and the reason for the changes and the limitations -- and we were advised that the web site does state that the menu is subject to change -- Sorry, I do not buy this -- I heard this explanation several times from other tables which seemed to be struggling with their selections. The meat selections were Boar and a $30 rib eye -- no chicken dishes as advertised, which begs the questions, which is more local - chicken or boar. My wife is a fish eater and not a meat eater -- but she too had rib eye as the fish that night was white perch or skate - neither seemed worth the risk. The rib eye was just too fatty and not a good value -- I left 50% of the 8 oz portion on the plate as it was all fat - my wife did likewise. Even though we sent most of it back, the waitress never asked if there was anything wrong --- not a good service approach. Sorry, but if a piece of rib eye is going to be 50% fat and you are charging $30, you either need to trim some fat or provide a portion larger than 8 oz. I found the pasta selections also limited --- no papadella - no ravioli -- We did try the appetizer of the pesto pasta - it was good - but not so overwhelming that we would order it again ( $12 / $20 portion).

The wine list was also greatly minimized from the web site with not a lot of wines by the glass as promoted on the site. Disappointment again. I also found the wine glass pours to be short and inconsistent.- I had a second glass and when delivered, my glass had 1/2" minimum less than my wife's first glass -- and she had already taken several sips of it --- we were going to bring it to the attention of our waitress, but could not catch her attention.

The restaurant was not busy but service was average at best. Our water glasses and a water carafe stayed empty for the last part of the meal ---easy to refill a carafe of water just once - it wasn't done.

We had brocolini for a vegetable ( no starch provided), and it was a tad overcooked ( ok if not overcooked, then cooked too much for our liking is probably fairer -- it was not crunchy as we both liked it --

We did not have dessert - we had lost our appetite,

For the money - we found it not to be a good value. For the pure food - - we thought the menu is too narrow with its selections, and one never knows what will be on the menu when you go --- and I always return to a restaurant for those 2-3 special dishes that they offer ---- you cannot do that with Osteria --- as for quality --- we thing it needs work.

We will not be returning...which is another disappointment as we had hoped we could make this a new regular spot --- but we both decided we would not.

As for ambiance, the bar area is very nice -- much nicer than the restaurant .That pasta making machine might be an attraction for someone if the chef used it, but it did not add to the ambiance to have a big metal machine sitting on a 3/4" plywood board --- I suggest they cover it up if it not being used. And the brown rolls of paper used for tablecloths is something more suitable for Legal Seafood, but not for a supposed high end restaurant -- either get linens, or some other pace mat, or just a clean table..

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Shadow1000
Wallingford, Connecticut
“A little more would be better”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Food is wonderful but portions could be bumped up in portion. Homemade pasta dishes are outstanding but there just wasn't enough. Two to three more ravioli would be great and that was the dinner size.

• Visited December 2013