“Best Italian Cuisine from Liguria in New England by far!”
Review of Prides Osteria - CLOSED

Prides Osteria
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Let's start by saying that I lived in Italy for 15 years and have been going to Liguria for every summer I've lived there. Therefore, I can say with some confidence that I know the local cuisine and learned to appreciate it...

Well finding prides early this summer was such a treat! This is truly a "hidden jewel" in the greater Boston area. The chef/owner Paolo has been cooking at a restaurant in CA and recently moved to MA. He won the award for the best Pesto in the world competition in Genova, Italy.

Every time I go I start off with the traditional Recco focaccia that is a MUST try there, if you like a light dough with a delicious cheese that is the dish to order. Their menu changes on a daily basis and its based on what the chef finds that day at the market.

On top of the great menu there are always some awesome specials to choose from. If you have a table in the main dining room you may be lucky and see the chef on the "pasta table" making homemade pasta right there in front of you! That was quite the scene!

I won't even go too much into detail describing the Pesto since the chef's fame speaks for itself... Its AWESOME!

Definitely a place where I go back happily every time and I only wish it was closer to Boston.

Plus now they also just opened a little pizza place two blocks down the street that its as close as you can get to the real pizza you get in Naples!

1  Thank greg_bar

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We just returned from Italy last week and had the best pesto that we ever tasted in Portofino. When telling a friend about it, she suggested we try the pesto at Prides Osteria. We were so impressed with the food here that we will be returning often. We loved not only the Pesto, but both appetizers--a farm board, and the prociutto and burrato over a "pillow" of foccacia--and our main courses of braised pork. We really like the idea of locally sourced ingredients and a changing menu. It may be a little expensive if you have all three courses, but it's still cheaper than flying off to Italy!!

1  Thank Rosie010
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We visited from out of town last week and fell in love. For goodness sake, the chef has two Michelin stars! Why was the line not out the door for this place? Likely because it's out of the way, and I don't think people know what a gem this is. The pesto was voted the BEST in the world. It lived up to its reputation. It's the first Italian dinner I've had that didn't make me feel achingly full afterward. The pasta is made fresh every day, and it was so light and delicious. We loved the caprese salad too-- it was the freshest I've had. Dessert was a homemade amaretto ice cream and a banana bread dish. Complimentary basil liquor at the end of the dinner. I can't wait to come back. Wonderful service. Amazing dinner. Bravo, Prides!

1  Thank AJ768
Reviewed September 11, 2013

The food is really good with flavors very reminiscent of Italy. I had the bresoala followed by the seafood pasta. Both were very good and nicely presented. My wife enjoyed the caprese salad and loved her agnolottis. The wine list had many interesting choices by the glass and by the bottle. We ate in the bar, which was quite pleasant. Our server was attentive and prompt without hurrying. The manager stopped by to make sure everything was to our liking. All in, it was a very pleasant experience and worth returning for. As is often said, you get what you pay for. Yes, this is a bit expensive but the quality of the ingredients and cooking justify it. The wines by the glass might be slightly overpriced but the selection is broad and interesting. If you are looking for a 1/2 lb of pasta smothered in sauce, this is not your place. If you are looking for reasonable portions, using fresh ingredients and nicely cooked, this its the place.

1  Thank TLM1940
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Phenomenal meal. We had the Farm Board to start which included imported meats and cheeses from Italy, a fried, salted pastry, and a piece of tart (?) made of swiss chard and a flaky crust. The prosciutto was like none I had had before and the the tart & pastry were nice surprises. For our meal I ordered the lasagna and my husband ordered the braised pork. We traded halfway through but I was reluctant to because my lasagna was the best pasta I have EVER had. The noodles were paper thin and practically melted in my mouth. This lasagna is not your overly cheesy kind nor is it some vegetable imposter. The flavor is refined and begs you to come back for more. The pork was equally "melt-in-your-mouth" delicious. It is definitely worth trying but I am such a pasta girl, I would order the lasagna again next time. They brought us out a complimentary nip of limoncello which was a wonderful surprise and we took 2 cannolis to sneak into the movie were off to. A perfect end to a perfect meal.

Be forewarned: the menu changes daily so if you check the menu online, they may not have what you see that day. I heard someone at another table complaining that the veal he saw online wasn't on the menu. However, they do state that this is the case at the top of the online menu so it shouldn't be a surprise. The waitress said there are items that are popular that do frequent the menu, though.

I'd also like to add that our waitress was great and the owner came over at the end of the meal to introduce himself and make sure everything was okay. The only thing I can think of someone complaining about is the price. However, this restaurant is sourcing its meats and vegetables locally. Not only are you paying for good tasting food, but you are paying for food that I would bet it higher in nutritional value, AND you are supporting your local economy. Personally, I would rather pay a little more for these things than eat junk. All that being said said: try it out for yourself!

1  Thank liljean107