“Fan for years, now not so much”
Review of Chianti Cafe

Chianti Cafe
Ranked #11 of 136 Restaurants in Beverly
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Used to love to go to Chianti when I first moved to the north shore 11 years ago. The food was fresh and delicious, the service was impeccable and even though the decor and mismatched (sometimes chipped) china could have used a little brightening, it did not take away from the total experience.

Now I have been back three times to eat since the Jazzy bar side has been added and the service is no longer even good, the food is okay and because of these things I am aggravated by even the china. Maybe the owner is concentrating on the music crowd now and not so much the dining experience. I have always loved the "Zucchilini" (ribbons of zucchini pretending to be pasta) but this last time, my Zuke was just swimming in the gorgonzola sauce I chose. And where were the pears and walnuts that typically appear with this sauce? My friend ordered the tomato sauce on her Zuke and hers was barley visible in her dish due to the HUGE pool of sauce. The service leaves tons to be desired, not to mention the fact that there were at any given time 3 - 4 people behind the bar. We appeared @ apx 6:00 PM; no one else there. Then the "regulars" started to arrive and we were soon forgotten. I'm sorry to say, I will not return for food again. I miss the old Chianti.

3  Thank Dorothy P

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Chianti has an interesting menu and good atmosphere. While it can be a little bit noisy when musicians are playing, my wife and I like jazz and do not mind. The desserts are quite good(try the cheesecake), and the zucchalini-a faux pasta dish-is a favorite.

Our waitress was friendly but somewhat overwhelmed, with the result that service was slow. But that was not a big issue, and we will certainly return.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

If you like great food and outstanding live music then Chianti is your kind of place. We went on a Friday night for appetizers and drinks with friends and sat in the jazz lounge. We tried the bosc pears wrapped in prosciutto and the scallops wrapped in zucchini. Both apps were delicious. The entertainment included a blues singer and her band in a very intimate atmosphere. In Boston you would pay a $12 cover charge for this type of live music. Chianti is highly recommended for a fun night out.

Reviewed December 5, 2012

We hadn't been here in many years, but decided to give it another try. Very loud because of the jazz so we sat in the farthest room. Service was pleasant but, extremely slow starting w/the water! Long wait for our drinks; long, long wait for our food! We were excited to try the Crispele Florentine which was supposed to be delicate egg crepes filled with ricotta cheese, chopped spinach, and served in a tomato cream sauce. For $8/14 lg, it was nothing special, & crepes were not house made and somewhat rubbery--very disappointing. The Osso Bucco, $25, was inedible. We were each VERY disappointed in this place! --Too expensive, it's not kid friendly, & we waited way too looooong for food that wasn't very good. Again, definitely not for kids, especially hungry ones! Maybe go for the jazz, but we're not fans.

2  Thank J O
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I think of Chianti's a real jazz club which has great food and excellent staff.
We go here monthly for the jazz jams and dinner. The food is always fresh and well seasoned Tuscan cuisine.
The bartender and wait staff are professional and concerned that everything is just right.
We would be there more often but we live 45 miles from it.