“Closed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Beverly, Mass.
“Closed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This restaurant is closed with no known plans to reopen. I believe the location/address was issued a liquor license, so that is up for grabs.

Visited June 2014

Boston, MA
“The Last Review: The Happy Clam Closes Its Doors on February 8, 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I saw the bad news on Facebook: "Happy Clam is closing for good tonight. Thank you for your patronage and kind words on Facebook. Come by and say goodbye today if you have a chance!" Steve Cross, the owner/operator/chief-cook-and-bottle-washer of Happy Clam, ran a fantastic place to eat. Ultimately most of us locals think that location did him in: being buried in a strip mall made it difficult for non-TripAdvisor-savvy people to find him.

Best of luck to Steve on his next tasty venture!

• Visited February 2014
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Chowder and chips are in!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

First tried some homemade potato chips when I wandered in for a take out menu. These were offered free of charge in a little wax paper bag and won me over right away. Next time we opted for some take out chowder: one clam, one fish. It's great that Beverly has a convenient and tasty seafood takeout, right next door to our favorite pizza parlor.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Gail G
Hudson, NH
“Fresh seafood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

I work near the Happy Clam and visit about once every two weeks. I have had the haddock, clams, shrimp and scallops as well as the gumbo and chowder. Steve, the owner/head chef is a graduate of Culinary Institute of America and has worked all over the world but is a Beverly native and has come home. There is an extensive menu and daily and weekly specials as well as a Lenten special-fried haddock and french fries and a cup of chowder for $9.95. The haddock is cut into "finger" size pieces to allow even cooking. The portions are not huge but the quality is first rate and the fried coating is crispy and tasty-the fries are crispy and real fries, not the coated counterfeit fries that a lot of other places have gone to. The prices can be a bit higher than one might want to pay for lunch but for fresh seafood, it is worth it. I have never had a bad meal here and will continue to go back regularly. There is not a lot of seating, maybe 8 tables at most, and it is not a classy place-more a local seafood location set in a storefront in a small mall. You order and pay at the counter and the food comes quickly and with the kitchen area right behind the counter, you can watch your meal being cooked. Steve, the owner usually comes out to ask how your food was and in addition to the normal New England seafood, he adds a number of Mexican and Cajun specials on the weekly specials board.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Salem, Massachusetts, United States
“Licking my fingers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

I come from Maine and when we talk, seafood comes out of our mouth. I had never heard of "The Happy Clam" until I purchased a golf pass and got a free diner card for various eateries. I went online and checked out several places and read many reviews. This place had many great reviews and a few bad reviews. I have found in the past that competing eateries give bad reviews so we can toss those. Anyway, getting to the point. I ordered a seafood platter.... OMG!!! I started with the shrimp and as one person stated, they were stuck together, but that was actually great because one bite and the juices were flowing out of it. Then I tried the fish... I was going to dip it in ketchup as I usually do, but decided to try one first... it was very soft and delicious.. now for the clams, once again OMG! Then I went to the scallops... I'm not a fan of scallops... until now... my mouth was in heaven. Whats left? The fries were good and the onion rings were good too and the cole slaw was equal to KFC cole slaw which is above average. The overall portion was below average, but what do you want... quality or quantity?

• Visited January 2013