“Chowder and chips are in!”
Review of Happy Clam Seafood Cafe - CLOSED

Happy Clam Seafood Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed November 17, 2013

First tried some homemade potato chips when I wandered in for a take out menu. These were offered free of charge in a little wax paper bag and won me over right away. Next time we opted for some take out chowder: one clam, one fish. It's great that Beverly has a convenient and tasty seafood takeout, right next door to our favorite pizza parlor.

1  Thank Gail G

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I work near the Happy Clam and visit about once every two weeks. I have had the haddock, clams, shrimp and scallops as well as the gumbo and chowder. Steve, the owner/head chef is a graduate of Culinary Institute of America and has worked all over the world but is a Beverly native and has come home. There is an extensive menu and daily and weekly specials as well as a Lenten special-fried haddock and french fries and a cup of chowder for $9.95. The haddock is cut into "finger" size pieces to allow even cooking. The portions are not huge but the quality is first rate and the fried coating is crispy and tasty-the fries are crispy and real fries, not the coated counterfeit fries that a lot of other places have gone to. The prices can be a bit higher than one might want to pay for lunch but for fresh seafood, it is worth it. I have never had a bad meal here and will continue to go back regularly. There is not a lot of seating, maybe 8 tables at most, and it is not a classy place-more a local seafood location set in a storefront in a small mall. You order and pay at the counter and the food comes quickly and with the kitchen area right behind the counter, you can watch your meal being cooked. Steve, the owner usually comes out to ask how your food was and in addition to the normal New England seafood, he adds a number of Mexican and Cajun specials on the weekly specials board.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I come from Maine and when we talk, seafood comes out of our mouth. I had never heard of "The Happy Clam" until I purchased a golf pass and got a free diner card for various eateries. I went online and checked out several places and read many reviews. This place had many great reviews and a few bad reviews. I have found in the past that competing eateries give bad reviews so we can toss those. Anyway, getting to the point. I ordered a seafood platter.... OMG!!! I started with the shrimp and as one person stated, they were stuck together, but that was actually great because one bite and the juices were flowing out of it. Then I tried the fish... I was going to dip it in ketchup as I usually do, but decided to try one first... it was very soft and delicious.. now for the clams, once again OMG! Then I went to the scallops... I'm not a fan of scallops... until now... my mouth was in heaven. Whats left? The fries were good and the onion rings were good too and the cole slaw was equal to KFC cole slaw which is above average. The overall portion was below average, but what do you want... quality or quantity?

Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was on my way to visit my brother in the hospital and he wanted seafood and his favorite place was, yep, The Happy Clam on Cabot Street in Beverly, MA. I grew up in this city and my brother still lives there with his wife. So, in I pull and enter the establishment. Greeted by a very pleasant young lady who knew her products and the meaning of customer service. The owner was there and we chatted about the menu and the food business in general, he is without a doubt very knowledgeable in this area. I purchased the haddock plate special and a quart of clam and fish chowder. Haddock plate was fantastic my brother was right and he enjoyed it because well, we all know hospital food is not gourmet. Got home a decided to have a bowl of clam chowder. I appeared it was separating but I chalked it up to being a little cool. Great flavor however, remember Clara Pella? She was the lady who always blurted out that famous saying, "Where's the beef?" Well, where's the clams? No clams in a clam chowder? OK, let's try the fish chowder, undercooked potatoes and yep, this one must have got away because there was a great taste of fish but, no chunks of fish. Gloucester fish chowder has huge chunks of fish in it as does the clam chowder with a ton of clams. In, conclusion, well flavored chowder, but no fish or clams, that is a big minus. Clean and very friendly with a very extensive menu. Will I go back? Everyone deserves a second shot, yep and I will update this as soon as I do. That's all folks for now. JFab

Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a small place in a strip mall, next to a laundromat. Looks like a lot of the business is take out. There are only 4 booths and 3 tables but it is a nice comfortable dining area. We ate in and we were very happy with the food and the service. Fried clams and scallops were really good and perfectly fried. As were the onion rings and sweet potato fries. The clam chowder had some unusual herb seasoning that we didn't care for, but that was the only negative. The service was excellent. They delivered our food to the table (not sure that happens when they're busy). And brought us ice water and extra plates for sharing. She checked back a couple of times and brought a take-out container and bag for the rest of our rings and fries. We ate every bit of the clams and scallops. We didn't order the home made potato chips, but wish we did. They have free tastes at the counter and they were excellent. We'll be back.