“good food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Seating
North Providence, Rhode Island
“good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

I found the batter on the calamari and fried clams a bit heavy. The Lobster salad was fresh lobster meat, plentiful and delicious, not too much mayo. The order of onion rings was huge and good. Sweet potato fries is always a bonus and theirs were good. The baked fish and sauteed shrimp were good, nothing extra special, but still good. We could not finish our meals so we passed on dessert. Great place to use that restaurant.com certificate!

Visited June 2012

Beverly, Massachusetts
“not very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

very expensive for very average seofood. new place but won't be back

Visited April 2012
Boston, MA
“If you love seafood or want a salad or grilled burger -- THIS IS THE PLACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I usually don't gush on my reviews of restaurants, and candidly I am a bit cynical when a new one arrives and I don't have much experience with it. When the Happy Clam opened I made a comment to a local business owner about, "so, how long do you think they'll be open?" His reaction was, "wow, you haven't heard about this place?!? IT'S GREAT!" So I took my wife and kids along one day to see what he was talking about.

The Happy Clam is located in a strip mall on Cabot Street in Beverly. It has a green and white sign, and otherwise mixes in with the other businesses. PLENTY of parking in a wide, open, well lit lot.

The menu is focused on seafood, but as a non-seafood person has plenty of choices for me. My family pretty much had everything from the clam chowder, fish chowder, broiled hamburger, haddock fingers, Fisherman's plate (a variety of seafood from clams, to scallops, etc.) etc, so with a family of 6 we covered the menu from stem to stern.

Let me just say that everybody, including my wife's aunt, believed this to be amongst the best food they had tasted in a long time.

The fried foods are not greasy, are light tan in color (which means the oil is fresh), and the outer coatings are crisp and flavorful. The chowders are real New England chowders made from scratch, and my "soup snobs" said that they were amongst the best they ever had. The burger was flavorful but not fatty. The fries were delicious, the onion rings crisp and authentically "Cape Ann," and the haddock fingers were sweet, tender, and delicious.

While we were waiting, one of the folks behind the counter shared a basket of homemade potato chips. They are made with sea salt (I believe, I didn't ask), and I thought I would have just one or two. I had to walk away from the basket to keep from eating them all... so we got an order of those, too! Don't miss these -- they are a treat.

The owner of the business is there, onsite, behind the counter, cooking. This is not a "manager run" operation, but the owner is a chef with impressive credentials who decided it was time to "do his own thing" and make his mark. He serves up food with a bit of humor, and the flavors of his chowders and other food remind us of well known North Shore establishments that are long passed yet missed.

So one day my wife and I decided to stop by and have soup and a wrap. We thought we would get about a half wrap... we got a whole wrap. The chowder was just as good as we had previously experienced, the beef stew I had was an authentic "home made" Irish stew that was deep and rich, and the wraps filled us up so that we really didn't need to eat dinner that night. They had another basket of chips out for us to "sample" (yup, had to walk away -- again). $10 for two people plus a soda we split. Wow.

The Happy Clam runs specials that are daily, but also weekly. Most often they are soup and sandwich types, but they run the gamit, including some specials that include free kid's meal with the purchase of two adults -- again, great value.

It is so nice to find a place like this because they are so rare. If you are in the mood for fresh food that has been prepared from scratch, have solid flavorings and authentic "North Shore" preparation, great portions, and value priced, then you should try them out before the word gets out and you'll just have to wait in line -- behind us!

• Visited March 2012