“Cielito Lindo for the best freshly made Guacamole ever!”
Review of Cielito Lindo Grille - CLOSED

Cielito Lindo Grille
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Cielito Lindo for the best freshly made Guacamole ever!”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Now, if you are looking for GOOD Mexican, try Cielito Lindo. Since we were roundly disappointed in a Mexican meal in Salem over the weekend at Cilantro, we were still craving GOOD Mexican, so we visited Cielito Lindo.

The fresh guacamole of smashed avocados and cilantro with chopped onion and tomato chunks was as good as ever. It is dramatically presented in a generous "molcajete", a volcanic stone bowl -- or mortar without the pestle -- that resembles a garden hypertufa planter, with the result of making the contents feel as natural as eating "en plein air". While one order is plenty to share with a number of people, the two of us managed to polish it off readily enough.

We also relished sharing a hot bowl of Pozole soup which seemed intentionally over salty, just right to spice up a cold night. An intensely rich, dark broth, the soup has small chunks of meat -- though originally human, is usually pork -- and enough soaked, whole hominy kernels of maize, to make it a hearty first course. The restaurant's helpful manager came over to confess that this soup is traditionally considered a perfect "morning after" cure for a night of heavy partying, especially with an extra dash of hot sauce....

Regrettably, we decided to forego our favorite pan-seared tilapia, with it's amazing chipotle cream sauce, "Pescado Jose", for a couple of enchiladas that were dull and regular, if they weren't served with the perfect complement of delicately fried plantains, overlaid with a lace of cream and fresco cheese. Unfortunately, the mole sauce on the "De mole enchilada" was a real let-down, tasting more like a standard powdered cocoa afterthought, rather than a truly integrated spicy chocolate sauce.

Other than leaving with a desire to drink a gallon of water following the intentionally salty fare, we had no other serious complaints.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank TheWhiteRoad

Boston, Massachusetts
“Authentic little Mexican place with weak margaritas”
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I first tried Cielito Lindo at the recommendation of a co-worker, and I loved it right away! The handmade guacamole was definitely my favorite. The menu offers a pretty decent selection and I wasn't disappointed. I've gone back a few times, but the last time my boyfriend and I went we ordered a pitcher of their classic margarita. Since I've consistently had excellent food, I figured their homemade margaritas must be just as good. Unfortunately what we got was a pitcher of sweet and sour mix with some lime juice. Hated to do it, but we sent it back and got Coronas instead. I guess it's just expected that a delicious little Mexican restaurant like Cielito Lindo should deliver on their margaritas as well. Better luck next time!

• Visited September 2010
1 Thank fancyAmanda
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
“Best Mexican north of the border”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

The only place I have had better Mexican was south of San Diego. Seriously, this is not your run of the mill chain Mexican food. This is authentic, fresh and reliably excellent quality. Definitely look into the specials, but you'd be remiss if you did not get the made-to-order guacamole or the Burrito del Patron (which the menu says "no substitutions, just order it" and it's right!)

The staff are awesome....they remember us by name and what we usually order. Love that!

This is my go-to place for an awesome meal, so I"m hesitant to be so effusive with my praise, but it really deserves to be higher than #30 in Beverly!

1 Thank amybatt
Narragansett, Rhode Island
“Great place!”
Reviewed September 19, 2009

This is an amazing Mexican restaurant. Try one of their nightly specials. The food is very fresh- best guacamole ever! The waitstaff is great and the prices are very reasonable- we love it.

1 Thank cafriend
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Not many great Mexican places around here, but this tiny place on Cabot St., is about the best around. Guacamole is...”
Reviewed January 25, 2009

Not many great Mexican places around here, but this tiny place on Cabot St., is about the best around. Guacamole is made to order.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook